Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's cause we're part of the Benefit Relations in Socionics. It's strange but I see lots of threads talking about INTP-INFJ relationships yet fewer threads on ISTJ-INTP relationships. And the feelings don't seem to be that intense on the threads compared to the INTP-INFJ connection, why? Is it really the S/N divide that causes this? Give your reasons.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Those socionics intertype relationships seem so narrow to me. So many things have to be taken into account that I find it impossible to define one single pattern for a relationship. My dad is an ISTJ so I can't talk about attraction but he's always controling me and lecturing me. I am a total free spirit and he's the epitome of organization. He lives in a world of facts and can't be cornered in a conversation, but I sometimes have to make tremendous efforts to make him understand obvious concepts, as if I was talking to a 5 years old (which always amaze me since he's unbelievably smart, is a brilliant doctor etc). He's very old fashioned too. He is not people oriented, quite the contrary. I don't think such individual would be attracted to me one bit. They'd probably be dismayed by my attitude. I'm curious about that INTP-INFJ connection because I have never felt it and I've seen many INTPs going nuts for dem INFJs, something I can't relate to.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I haven't gotten to know many INTPs, but my brother is one. In Enneagram, I believe he is a 9w1 sx/so. His mind is more oriented toward philosophical thought than theoretical science, but he also has this intellectual honesty that makes him come across as very unassuming, which is something I've noticed in a lot of INTPs on the internet. Their objective, analytical style is something I have admiration for and find attractive (not in my brother). On the other hand, my brother has barely any physical presence or "oomph", so I do find him slightly boring to be around, but that's because he thrives in discussion (particularly of the abstract), while I can only tolerate so much of it. I need to be physically engaged. It's not that we disagree with each other's views. I just like to come to a conclusion in my mind and not look back or share that conclusion with other people. He is more willing to linger on a topic for no reason other than mental stimulation.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,393 Posts
I don't really know that many of them, but I would think it would be a challenge. They seem to be so very different from ISTJ's. The ones I've encountered don't seem to give straight answers. A simple question like do you like..... A straight yes or no would be great, but you may receive an answer that you have to spend time analyzing/deciphering to even figure out what their response actually was. A yes or no would be so much simpler. I'm not much into abstract thinking, and they seem to enjoy it.

I think there are many things that would present a challenge with this pairing, but I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My relationship with an INTP is a close same-sex friendship, so I'm not talking about a romantic attraction. For me, the Te/Ti contrast is both intriguing and frustrating. As @jamaix has written in her post, it's difficult to get a straight answer from them. I could count on one hand the number of times I got a "Yes", "No" or a direct judgment on something. It can become unnerving because sometimes I think that he's trying to dodge the question or to fool me. I don't think this would be easy in a romantic relationship. Unless you like challenges, that is.

Reactions: Sela and jamaix

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's cause we're part of the Benefit Relations in Socionics. It's strange but I see lots of threads talking about INTP-INFJ relationships yet fewer threads on ISTJ-INTP relationships. And the feelings don't seem to be that intense on the threads compared to the INTP-INFJ connection, why? Is it really the S/N divide that causes this? Give your reasons.
So here's your question: why are there more threads on NF-ISTJ relationships versus NT-ISTJ relationships?

INTPs and ISTJs have more in common than ISTJs and INFJs/INFPs. Among the common characteristics, these 2 regarding money are the most pervasive:
- Pragmatic in terms of expenditure
- Conservative in spending money (a big issue)

ISTJ's are quite logical. NTs are also quite logical. So both do get along quite well on logical matters, though they would disagree when it comes to other areas, such as:

- taking risks
- enforcing discipline
- planning and executing tasks
- etc

Perhaps something you didn't mention is the PerC demographic: statistics aren't really conclusive because only a small proportion of PerC members are actually active (subjection to definition!), and I'm too lazy to look for detailed statistics of active PerC members. I believe you would agree with me that the NF population is way more active on PerC than the NT population.

If http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/177592-type-interested-mbti.html is to be believed:

June 2013 membership stats for PersonalityCafe:

INFP 3723 — 21%
INFJ 2580 — 15%
INTP 2228 — 13%
INTJ 1876 — 11%
ENFP 1352 — 8%
ENTP 1112 — 6%
ENFJ 514 — 3%
ISTP 527 — 3%
ISFP 506 — 3%
ISTJ 437 — 2%
ENTJ 401 — 2%