Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through some ISFP descriptions recently and I relate to them very well, maybe too well. :shocked:

I feel like I'm some strange hybrid ISTP/ISFP at the moment.

I guess I don't understand Fi vs Ti very well.

Are you ISTPs really into beauty and values, I am?

It seems like I like people a little more than the ISTPs on here.

I still relate really well to ISTP descriptions as well though...

Fuck, I guess one never really knows anything to 100% certainty anyway. :confused:

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
Here's an exercise for Fi/Ti:

You're driving along and you run over a kitten that has stepped into the road.
What is your first thought?

-"I feel so bad! Gonna cry like a little pussy and shit!"
-"Plenty more where that came from."

I leave it to you to figure out which is which.

·
Registered
715 Posts
sure.
i enjoy beauty but prefer having more than one of my senses affected. a beautiful outlook is nice, but it's unbelievable in combination with a smell of earth after a rain, wind on the skin and the sound of rustling leaves.
i am into some values... like fairness, freedom and truth.
sure?
i hate being in a room with many people not because i don't like them but because they can never shut up - so it's loud. too many people in too little space smell too intense. they might accidently touch me and i prefer to choose freely who's allowed to touch me.

it's just too much sensory input to take at once. it makes me angry, that's just how i cope with stress. and i learned that people leave me alone and give me enough space and time to let my senses be open for as much input as i can take if i hiss at them whenever i feel like hissing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The simplest way to figure out if you are X type or not is to spend time on their forums a bit and see if you click or not.

as for the beauty part then yes, i do appreciate the beauty of nature and the wonder of life. It is your Se which is allowing you to embrace and enjoy it. Not Fi.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Beauty plays a big part in my life. No so much the physically beautiful situations but music, and that is where my creative side is anchored. As to values... yes. I hold myself up to the values I feel are important. I respect others with strong values, provided they have a reason for having them.

Also, I love people. I just couldn't eat a whole one.

Reactions: Benja

·
Registered
847 Posts

Oh, okay, this is much easier to read than @Erbse's link*. And this confirms my son is a T and not an F. Thanks.

My ISTP is definately an ISTP (and an ISTp) and he is into beauty and values, very much so. He does beautiful and well-crafted artwork and anything he builds is the same. So yes, he loves beauty. And though his house is (was) a mess, I helped him clean it and put to order, adorning the living room with green glasses of forsythia picked from his yard in the bare windows (which will be flocked with white sheers if I live there) and a earthen pot of purple violets and white forget-me-nots gathered from our barefoot walk in the springtime woods behind his house sitting central on the now-cleared dining table. He really appreciates the beauty and order but doesn't take pains to make/maintain it for himself. But he was quite willing to help me make and maintain it.

Oh, is he ever into values. He lives them. I so admire his living his values even when its difficult, like for years living chastely while he raised his children and because he was no longer married, and because he believed it best for his kids. He does not control others to live by his values though. For example, while stressing out and sorrowful about his daughters choice of scumbag lovers, he allowed one or two of them to live with her in his house. What the heck? Still trying to understand that one... I think it comes from a bit of "live and let live". A love of and respect for personal freedom perhaps. Personally, I think you can make certain boundaries with your own children in your own house when they step on your deeply held values... but I am trying to understand how he thinks.

And he truly does love and appreciate people. But he will limit people's access to him because he values his quiet alone time. He will choose not to care about people's personal problems because he is reserving his caring for those in his small circle of love and family.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts

I'm very much into beauty and aesthetics. I agree with Kadjunga, I think this is more Se than Ti/Fi.

And I have values too. Both Ti and Fi are focused on subjective values. Too often is Fi given a monopoly on the word "values". It's not that Fi has values, and Ti doesn't. It's the focus of those values. @Eric B describes it as impersonal (Ti) vs. humane (Fi). I too relate to both ISTP and ISFP descriptions, but I really think that's because whoever writes the descriptions ascribes different aspects of Se to ISTP and ISFP. If it's artsy, it's attributed to ISFP; if it's technical, it's attributed to ISTP. In many ways, I'm more artistic than technical. But then, in the next instance, I can break down and understand a conceptual framework with much ease (which is Ti's domain).

Also, it's not that I don't like people. I do like people. But people can be huge drain on me. And I'm also like chrisu with the sensory overload.

So I think you're an ISTP, but that's really up to you to decide. I would recommend reading Jung's descriptions of the functions as well. Jung's descriptions don't have the bias and stereotypes attached to them that the function have seemed to accumulate over the years.

·
Registered
745 Posts

"Damnnit, why'd you'd step out onto the road when there is a huge car coming, you stupid cat?"

·
Registered
547 Posts
"Damnnit, why'd you'd step out onto the road when there is a huge car coming, you stupid cat?"
^^ this

Also, all of my carpentry and remodeling/design work is based on what i find visually appealing. I love art. I just am not a Feeler.

this would be why I'm considering breast implants too. ;)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well based on the cat test I'm a feeler. :laughing:

I think that's more about whether you like cats though.

I just read through the sections in Jung, not an easy read btw, and am still unconfirmed. Ti and Fi seem very similar to me, he even states that they are both based on the subjective factor and that "Everything, therefore, that has been said of the introverted thinking refers equally to introverted feeling, only here everything is felt while there it was thought."

I cannot tell whether I'm thinking or feeling, if feeling is not so much emotion, as "Jung consistently and continually insisted that feeling, as he described it, had nothing to do with emotion, which he called affect."

@MissFixit Don't get breast implants, you're absolutely amazing as is.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Look at what that jerkwad Europa started.
Made us insecure about our ISTP'ness.
I KNOW! Here I am thinking about implants and going OMG maybe I really am in ESTP

but no. think of someone you know who is an ISFP, and decide if you really "get" that person.

I will be honest that the only ESTP man I've known well....We were verrrry similar except that I thought he was a little too shallow and didn't think deeply enough. :happy: FUn though

·
Registered
547 Posts
I will be honest that the only ESTP man I've known well....We were verrrry similar except that I thought he was a little too shallow and didn't think deeply enough. :happy: FUn though

ok I should not imply that ESTPs are shallow and don't think deeply. That was mean and stereotypical. *slaps hand*

I'll say he was way more fun than I am. there.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I just read through the sections in Jung, not an easy read btw, and am still unconfirmed. Ti and Fi seem very similar to me, he even states that they are both based on the subjective factor and that "Everything, therefore, that has been said of the introverted thinking refers equally to introverted feeling, only here everything is felt while there it was thought."

I cannot tell whether I'm thinking or feeling, if feeling is not so much emotion, as "Jung consistently and continually insisted that feeling, as he described it, had nothing to do with emotion, which he called affect."
There has been a lot of discussion about Thinking vs. Feeling, Te vs. Fe, Ti vs. Fi, in the Cognitive Functions forum, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for (it may be in several places, which is the problem). I can't really look for it right now, because I'm procrastinating from my paper as is. XD

So I'll try to remember it as best as I can. Feeling in general is about evaluation, good/bad right/wrong etc., while Thinking is about ideas/facts/reason (I don't say "logic" here, because logic is merely one construct or manifestation of Thinking, rather than its entire essence), what makes sense, and it also involves categorizing and defining based on this criteria. The orientation (I/E) dictates how the evaluation or reason is directed: objective/real world vs. subjective/individual.

Everyone has both evaluation and reason: Ti/Fe and Te/Fi. These pairs complement each other, while Ti and Fi clash. So while they may seem similar, they are diametrically opposite.

(Perhaps @JungyesMBTIno and @LiquidLight have some insight here, and our resident ISFP @Kayness)

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
I KNOW! Here I am thinking about implants and going OMG maybe I really am in ESTP

but no. think of someone you know who is an ISFP, and decide if you really "get" that person.

Been drinking again? It shows.
Personally, I don't think you're an ESTP.

I just think you're weird. Just a tad.

Good luck with the synthetic titties, nonetheless.
If the operation goes awry, you can always take comfort in wearing a ton of make-up.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
@Benja:

OrangeAppled just posted a great description of Fi here. You should check it out and see how it resonates with you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts