Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really curious to know what you guys think! My twin sister (@DancerPrancer) and I are both ENFPs, and I've seen lots of people in this forum who say they have a ENFP parent or sibling in their family, and I've always wondered if there could be a reason why, or if its totally random.... you get the idea. Thoughts?

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
I have a freakishly rare INFJ line in my family ranging across three generations so far on my mum’s side (that we can confirm) and include my Nana, her sister, two of my nana’s sons and my brother.
ENFP wise, it’s just me and another cousin.
We also have two ENFJs- my mum and another cousin. Only one of my cousins on this side is an S (ESFP) poor kid has to deal with all this NF!
Needless to say family reunions are… interesting haha!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a twin and she is ESFJ while I am INTJ. My mom is ESFP. I think your family either enhances your sense of self (like your sister would) or impedes it. So for me I had a hard time as a child with these extroverted feeling people. I was definitely told I was unemotional in a negative way, however since I know more about type now I can embrace my T but make sure I balance it when I am with them. I imagine many people are told negative things about their type and try to change to please and depending on their type (I'm thinking mainly F) will try to keep up the facade to please people they care about.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm really curious to know what you guys think! My twin sister (@DancerPrancer) and I are both ENFPs, and I've seen lots of people in this forum who say they have a ENFP parent or sibling in their family, and I've always wondered if there could be a reason why, or if its totally random.... you get the idea. Thoughts?
The family into which I was born:

Dad: ENFP
Mom: ISTJ.
Oldest sister: ENTJ.
Me: ENFP.
Middle sister: ESFJ
Younger brother: INTP
Youngest sister: ESTJ.

Reactions: MusicBird

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm the only N is a family of SJs, even my extended family! I have an SP uncle.

But anyway, my parents are ESTJ and ISTJ, so we share the same functions (Ne, Fi, Te, Si) just in different order. However, my sister is an ESFJ and so has different functions (Fe, Si, Ne, Ti) in the thinking/feeling. So I guess we all share the Ne/Si preference? No idea how that works. My personal belief is that you are born with it without reference to the functions of your parents. That's not a scientific conjecture by any means, it's based only on personal experience.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I don't think types run in family. Otherwise I'd be an SJ.

Dad: ISTJ (extremely strong Ne when he wants to use it, he's writing a kid's book now)
Mom: ISFJ (on the other end of the spectrum, she and I have nothing in common)
Me: ENFP
Brother 1: ESFJ (very chatty for a Ti user but definitely uses Fe)
Brother 2: ISFP

As far as extended family goes, it's all SJs and SPs with one INFJ thrown in there. I have an ENFP friend whose family is exactly like mine except far more SJs. It's very frustrating to have SJ parents, they're all about control and keeping us reigned in while we're free spirits who want nothing more than to get OUT and explore and have adventures. My parents should have given me to an NP couple.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Myself and another INFP are the only nfp's that I know of, in my family.
I come from a long line of thinkers and sensors (with a few introverts)- needless to say, everyone thinks I'm quite weird.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
My family:

Mother: ISTJ.
Father: ESTP.
Brother #1: ISTP.
Brother #2: ESTP.
Me: INTJ.

I guess, for me, it's really not the case. Even my extended family members are SJs/SPs. But ask anyone of my family members and they will probably say yes.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It's a tough call, and harder to determine than any other genetic predilection... You'd have to have several generations of accurately typed family lines, and Jung's theories aren't even old enough for more than 4 or 5 generations. You'd need a large sample size of families....and it's hardly something you could breed for the way you breed animals for physical traits.
You cannot account for accuracy because it's a self-assessment.
There aren't enough families with enough generations to create a large enough sample size.
There is no feasible way of having a control group.

It's essentially like trying to test the genetic disposition toward tongue curling, where the participants are not expected to prove the ability. The experimenters might look at their tongues and make an educated guess as to whether it looks curlable, but the results would be based entirely on conjecture and the honor system. There would be no telling how many people honestly could curl their tongues, how many believed they could without being able, and how many simply lied to seem interesting.

There is temperament in animals. Certain breeds are known for certain dispositions....however, those are also enhanced or subdued by how the animal is raised. In that way, I don't know that I'd 100% call temperament nature over nurture....or even if I'd call it the same thing as personality.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
>.> I spend too much time with INTJs...

But to add to the other information (* means I'm not 100% sure):

Mom: ESTJ
Dad: ENFP
Brother: INTJ
Sister 1: ISFJ
Sister 2: ENFJ

Sister-in-Law: INTJ
Niece 1: ENFP
Niece 2: INFP
Nephew 1: INFP

Ex of the ISFJ: A really unhealthy version of an E*FP
Nephew 2: ESTJ
Niece 3: ENTJ
Niece 4: INTJ*
Nephew 3: ENFP*

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
So... My entire family(even extended) are SJs, besides all of 4 people, including me.

Mom: ESFJ
Dad: ESTJ
sister: ESFJ
younger sister: ExFJ(not old enough to see second function yet. Possible N here)
Brother: INFJ(I think. Definitely Ni dom, seems to be a little unsure of Fe, though I see tons of Ti and not so much Te)
Uncle: ESTJ
Aunt: ISFJ
Cousin 1: ESTP
Cousin 2: ENFJ
Cousin 3: ESTJ

I'm one of the only P types in my family. I'm also pretty introverted(not cognitively, just behaviorally), which you can see is not exactly well-known in the family.

I don't think it's in the family. At least not for me. :wink:

·
Registered
211 Posts
My parents are ESFP (step-dad) and ENFJ. I do have a younger cousin who's an ENFP as well (and I lived with her for the past two years so she's more like a foster sister, but I didn't grow up in the same house as she did). Other than that, I don't think anyone in my family is an ENFP. I know both my grandparents aren't (They're ISFP and ENTJ. Those are Naneth's parents. I never met my dad or his family, so no idea what they're like). None of my siblings are ENFPs that I know of--but none of them have taken the test either. And I've never lived with them--only seen them for holidays and breaks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's a tough call, and harder to determine than any other genetic predilection... You'd have to have several generations of accurately typed family lines, and Jung's theories aren't even old enough for more than 4 or 5 generations. You'd need a large sample size of families....and it's hardly something you could breed for the way you breed animals for physical traits.
You cannot account for accuracy because it's a self-assessment.
There aren't enough families with enough generations to create a large enough sample size.
There is no feasible way of having a control group.

It's essentially like trying to test the genetic disposition toward tongue curling, where the participants are not expected to prove the ability. The experimenters might look at their tongues and make an educated guess as to whether it looks curlable, but the results would be based entirely on conjecture and the honor system. There would be no telling how many people honestly could curl their tongues, how many believed they could without being able, and how many simply lied to seem interesting.

There is temperament in animals. Certain breeds are known for certain dispositions....however, those are also enhanced or subdued by how the animal is raised. In that way, I don't know that I'd 100% call temperament nature over nurture....or even if I'd call it the same thing as personality.
The only thing in my personality I've seen affected by my parents is my enneagram type. Nothing of the MBTI. So, I don't know if you would call that temperament. Hmmmm.

I agree, it would be quite the scientific undertaking. And to trace it back so many generations would be difficult. You'd have to start now and wait 200 years. Is it the function or the temperament that gets passed down? Is it like a gene recessive and dominant, or just a random selection?

Ay ay ay.

·
Registered
716 Posts
In my family;
My mom: ESFJ
My dad: xSFJ I believe I'll have to test him to see xD
Brother #1: ESFJ
Brother #2: ENTJ
Sister: ISTP

I think I might be the only ENFP in my family maybe xD

·
Registered
361 Posts
Moms: ENFP, crazy intuitive radar could almost read people's minds.
Pops: No clue
First, Oldest brother: ESFJ
Second brother: ESTP
Third brother: ENFP
Sis: ESFJ
Youngest brother: ESFJ(I believe)

·
Banned
770 Posts
Mom: ISFJ
Grandpa: ESFJ (but i am not sure)
Grandma: INFP

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I actually believe that this is 90% nature, and 10% nurture.
This is my supporting evidence.

Dad:ENTJ
Mom:INFJ
Sib 1:ISTJ
Sib 2:ISFJ
Sib 3:INTJ
Sib 4:ENFJ
Me:ENFP
Sib 5:ISTJ
Sib 6:ISTP
Sib 7:ESFP
Sib 8:ESXP
Sib 9:Extroverted 3 year old.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No, everyone in my family is completely different. I made all of them take this personality test, so I would know. :)

I’m an ENFP and my dad is an ISTJ. When I found that out my first thought was “well… that explains a lot.” He doesn’t get me very well, but he makes the effort, so that’s what matters.

Then my sister is an ISTP and my mother is an INFJ. It actually worked out well, I guess- theres two ST's and two NF’s, so we have lots of variety. We fight like hell and its quite scary sometimes, but that’s what families do. Its all love.

I personally think its mostly random. Of course, people you live with do tend to rub off on you, but I think not enough to make you a certain personality type.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts