Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Mainly nurture

Votes: 7 31.8%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is someone, say, an ESFJ or INTJ from birth? What constellation of variables collide to make a personality type definable within MBTI land? How early did you display your type's signature traits?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Is someone, say, an ESFJ or INTJ from birth?
I'm not sure. I think the eventual type isn't determined at birth, but that a certain child in a certain environment will have an easier time becoming a particular type.

What constellation of variables collide to make a personality type definable within MBTI land?
I'm not sure. My guess is nature and nurture, in a simplistic portrayal of the issue.

How early did you display your type's signature traits?
What signature traits? Do you mean function preference? Likely upon employment - upon falling into a preference when interacting with the external.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the perspective of fitting a cognitive functions model like Ni-Te-Fi etc is more likely to cater to the idea that you follow a particular path of development that correlates with age, etc etc "I developed Ni first...then Te" etc.
To continue the example, what causes introverted intuition?

Also, how early and why is the differentiation between INTJ (Te) and INFJ (Fe) set?

In other words, when is the next stone set? The stone being Te or Fe.

Putting aside whatever causes Ni for now, does Te/Fe depend on...what?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
unctuousbutler said:
To continue the example, what causes introverted intuition?

Also, how early and why is the differentiation between INTJ (Te) and INFJ (Fe) set?

Good question; I wish I knew when people think the auxiliary is supposed to develop. I think the way I've heard it is we develop the auxiliary somewhere around teens, and the tertiary around 20's, but frankly this aspect I don't quite buy into, as I think times of development are tremendously likely to vary with maturity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is someone, say, an ESFJ or INTJ from birth? What constellation of variables collide to make a personality type definable within MBTI land? How early did you display your type's signature traits?
I'm surprised at the apparent lack of information on this subject, but what little I have found suggests that one's personality is determined by birth. Whether or not it's related in any way to the parents' types, like genes, I don't know.

As an INTJ, I found the following post regarding INTJ children, taken from the book "Nurture by Nature: Understand Your Child's Personality Type – And Become a Better Parent", which claims you can recognize personality-identifiable behaviors from very early on (0-4 years). I'm sure you can find similar posts for other types: http://personalitycafe.com/intj-articles/14613-development-intj-children.html

The New Zealand Herald also published the findings of a small-scale study in 2009 which suggests personality type is biological--Personality decided at birth, say scientists - Science - NZ Herald News

Reactions: Bricolage

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,918 Posts
The types are randomly distributed. If they were a result of social influence or if they were hereditary, there would be clusters of particular types within particular cultures/countries, etc. But it's not the case, like homosexuality, transsexualism and left-handedness, it seems heredity and social conditioning have little influence.

Since they are so random, it makes sense that pre-natel hormone levels influence the developing brain. Put that with the theory suggesting that pre-natel hormone exposure influences sensitivity to that hormone in later life, it makes even more sense. Some study's have already suggested links between high levels of pre-natel testosterone exposure and certain personality traits.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been quiet and goofy ever since I was 2 or 3 apparently. My parents seem to think I've mostly stayed the same person since I could walk and talk (maturity not included) I mean, when I was 6 years old I would talk to my friends parents instead of my friends because I thought their parents had better things to say which still says something about me to this day. I feel it's something like 75% nature and the rest is up to nurture. :)

·
Banned
954 Posts
I think this would be a very valuable scientific inquiry. The type of study that best approximates the effects of parental upbringing and genetics are studies of identical twins reared apart (and other sibling combinations). It is the same type of study that has demonstrated that variations from the mean in intelligence follows very strongly from genetics (at least 70%) and not from parental upbringing. As far as I am aware, no such studies have been done for MBTI personality types, probably because MBTI is still regarded as a somewhat fringe theory in psychology, more pop-psychology than psychology. A pioneer who studies MBTI on identical twins reared apart may either help to legitimize MBTI or validate its dismissal in academia.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think this would be a very valuable scientific inquiry. The type of study that best approximates the effects of parental upbringing and genetics are studies of identical twins reared apart (and other sibling combinations). It is the same type of study that has demonstrated that variations from the mean in intelligence follows very strongly from genetics (at least 70%) and not from parental upbringing. As far as I am aware, no such studies have been done for MBTI personality types, probably because MBTI is still regarded as a somewhat fringe theory in psychology, more pop-psychology than psychology. A pioneer who studies MBTI on identical twins reared apart may either help to legitimize MBTI or validate its dismissal in academia.
The fact that 70% of IQ variance is explained by genetics actually spurred my thinking about MBTI and a similar thing going on. Overall, the field, as you suggest, is grossly understudied, largely because science rejects the MBTI...yet accepts the Big 5 which the MBTI factors correlate with. Go figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts