Personality Cafe banner

Are MMORPG games designed for ST types?

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Ixim 
#1 ·
I recently joined League of Legends, and after only a half an hour of playing I got a throbbing headache. I was enjoying the game and all, but the headache definitely had something to do with me and the game. From what I know of the types and functions, the game relies on you being absolutely focused in the present and making decisions/judgments all the time. As an Enfp, I guess that goes against the grain of my neural pathways. Anyway, does anyone else experience this?

#2 ·
First of all, LoL isn't an MMORPG but a MOBA. It's very different.

If we are only talking about LoL, I think that the best functions to be competitive and reach the highest tiers of competitions, are Se and Te.

If we are talking about MMORPG (WoW...), I think that the most important thing in those kind of game is being able to stay focus on one character, and working hard on collecting xp, gold, and stuff. And you have to practice a lot to master your class. So maybe Se/Si.

#3 · (Edited)
@westlose said the right thing. You are referencing whole another genre. LoL/DoTA/SMITE/etc are MOBAs, NOT MMORPGs. Please do ignore the ignoracy of a modern news market. To them even Diablo 3 is an MMO(how is beyond my comprehension and ability to explain). That's what happens when you write about something you have NO IDEA what you are writing about.

As for MOBAs: they rely on you being able to master your character, influence the maximum possible change, see the possibilities to counter play(enemy has a Blitz support? TARIC/ALI!) and to communicate in a logical, short, direct way. They could also require you to theorycraft various builds, foresee various what-ifs before they even unfold to give you an advantage, stuff like that. So, if we would attach functions? The very first that comes to my mind would be Te. It is such a necessity within MOBA space that it is ridiculous. Fortunately, it can be substituted for a sheer force of will. Look at me. I am a typical representative of a NFP type and yet I managed to pull myself together and go all the way from Silver ranked league(this is slightly above median level of play) to Platinum ranked league(this is top ~1% players :shocked:). See, it can be done even if your Te is in the gutter. The very second one would be Ne. Look, I know that it doesn't really look like it until you REALLY get into a game, but I NEVER encountered a MOBA that didn't require at least passable amount of Ne. Let's just take bottom lane(support + carry). How many possibilites do you see? Which ones look good and which look wtf are you thinking? Now let's go to the items section. Which items go on which carry? Which items go on which support? etc etc etc. It really is a bunch of WHAT IF? scenarios unfolding right in front of your eyes! I think that Ne lead would really welcome such a scenario. Not to mention that you are mostly free to play(lol no, not that one!) whatever you wish(unless you really want to get competitive/platinum/etc OR have a strong Fi{no, Pantheon support, just no!}). The third would be Se. The ability to organise, notice etc your bodily reactions. Also, the want to exact the change on the game. It should be up there as well, but not nearly as much as "brainy" functions of Te/Ne. The reason why I put it lower is because I don't see gaming as "hot" to an Se as, say, football or basketball or sth of that sort. You get my meaning. Ti and Ni could be used and in fact are, but only as supporting functions (Ti to Ne in order to theory craft -> Theorycraft = Brainstorm + Ti and Ni to Te in order to outplay your enemy). Si could be used but only passably in order to determine what worked in the past and hence how to play now. This doesn't really apply to a world of online gaming because balance updates can happen anytime and even the smallest change can influence how you play. Therefore, making the use of Si largely pointless. Not to mention that you'll get nowhere by such rote memorisation(Silver 2 maybe? If you are VERY GOOD you might even get up to Gold but that's your limit I'm afraid). Feeling functions? Fi and Fe are, sadly, COMPLETELY unused here. Why? Because, just like in pro sports -> emotions = bad. Just keep focused! So:

MOBA FUNCTION STACK: Te -> Ne -> Se ->Ni -> Ti -> Si -> Fi = Fe or(the most likely types to enjoy this):
TeNi(ENTJ), NeTi(ENTP), TiNe(INTP)

Guess you didn't see those N's coming, did you?

EDIT: This MOBA analysis is for a typical MOBA of yore. Top down, click to move etc. LoL/HoN/DoTA etc, yes? If we are to look at a game like SMITE( SMITE is a third person/over the shoulder MOBA), Se and Ne would certainly trade places and the function stack would look as follows:

SMITE FUNCTION STACK: Te -> Se -> Ne -> the rest as delineated above
TeNi(ENTJ), SeTi(ESTP), NeTi(ENTP)

Now, onto MMORPG genre. What is an MMORPG? A game like SWTOR or WoW or GW2, things like that. Even korean grinders go in here. Now, let's analyse. An MMORPG is driven by a constant want to better yourself, be it in the way you play, be it to acquire new skills or to acquire new items. It is also very driven by your inputs based on what's going on screen hence your reactions to various one shot kill(OHK) mechanics. They also SHOULD* be driven by a want to group and a need to rely on others. Now, yes I am more of a singleplayer RPG fan than I am a fan of MMORPGs, but does that mean that I'll skip a story juicy goodness like SWTOR or TSW pass? HELL NO! So, what has got all of this to do with MBTI, psychology or anything this side of Neptune? Good question, I got lost in my Ne. Er... ... ... YES! The functions that would correlate the most with MMORPGs would be imo in this order. Si. Why Si? Well, you are going to spend a LOOOOOOOONG time with your character and most of MMO lessons are simple memorisations of what worked in past etc. If you don't have Si even moderately developed, you'll have a HARD time with MMOs. Because, you'll keep failing at "noob checks", because EVERYTHING will seem as if takes a POSITIVE ETERNITY to acquire etc. Now, please do keep in mind that with such classic MMOs like EverQuest it not only took WAAAAY longer than it does now, but you also had penalties for dying etc. So, without Si, you'd be FUBAR'd BIG TIME. Not to mention how long it took to play them. But I tend to think such fakely elongated mechanics were simply due to a lack of processing power back when and that we will see what MMOs are really about somewhere by ~2030. Of course, of course, Si basis will always be present. The next function? I'd say Te. Most MMOs challenge you to do things better, faster, more efficient. The process of achieving that is of course linked to Te. Not to mention rotations of skills, memorisation of where you should be, formations etc which are plain ole Te. The next function would be Ni. MMOs were originally designed to live out your fantasies or to live in your favourite fantasy worlds(Star Wars, WarCraft, Warhammer, LoTR etc). They were also designed with a thought in mind to just "boldly go" and explore. I will not even go how far they've fallen from their original idea(I will cry about this on somewhere else). MMOs back when did have a slew of powerful AHA! moments with all suite of emotions that go with such a thing. Not so anymore. All Ni. I could see Se in MMOs, but only rarely because it doesn't really sync with any of common MMO functions. Ti and Ne are VERY nice functions to have, especially if you want to go competitive about it. World firsts, world most efficients etc are all driven by a bunch of TeNi's and TiNe's. Now about feeling functions. Fe and Fi aren't as included here as well, but they certainly are more involved than they are in MOBAs. Fe could actually prove to be quite an useful function in MMOs , but Fi? I don't think it has anything to look for in MMOs. Of course, of course! Every MMO SHOULD* be its own breed, but a vanilla EQ/WoW inspired MMO fnct stack would like:

MMORPG FUNCTION STACK: Si -> Te -> Ni ->Ne -> Ti -> Se -> Fe -> Fi
SiTe(ISTJ), TeSi(ESTJ), NiTe(INTJ)

As is clearly visible, MMOs are swarmed by TJs. One which I ommited would be TeNi(ENTJ), so a royal flush is reached! TPs are also frequently found in MMOs, particularly INTPs. Guild leaders in MMOs are often SeTi's(ESTPs) while theorycrafters which propel are often NeTi's(ENTPs). These aren't as common as TJs or INTPs tho. Of course, every MMO is its own beast and I'll list some more, two with whom I have more experience than with the rest:

SWTOR FUNCTION STACK: Ni ->Te -> Fi -> Si -> Ne -> Fe -> Se -> Ti
NiTe(INTJ), TeNi(ENTJ), FiNe(INFP)

Of a particular notice is a rise in NFPs in SWTOR. That's because it focuses so HEAVILY on its story and on its characters and on its setting. NTJs still rule(is an MMO after all!), but the shift is noticeable!

GW1 FUNCTION STACK: Ne -> Te -> Ni -> Si -> Fi -> Ti -> Fe -> Se
TeNi(ENTJ), NiTe(INTJ), NeTi(ENTP)

What is visible here is rise in NTPs. It is because GW1 focused so heavily on allowing you to achieve your own of freedom how to play, how to have your own ideal group of players/heroes(AI helpers). Of course, NTJs always rule(they're kingpins of MMOs really).

That aessay should suffice I think.

edit: It'd be really interesting to really see if the increase in story focus correlates with an increase in NFPs and if a freedom of choice correlates with an increase in NTPs. Furthermore, it'd be interesting to see what can be done to increase overall value of feeling functions(Fe PARTICULARLY!) and Se functions in MMOs. The reason why those three are generally very weak is because: most MMOs don't really have a story or it's so far and wide between that it's nigh inconsenquential. Hence weak Fi(you can't RELATE with anything in game). Games where Fi soars are all games where you CARE/RELATE to your characters(RPGs mostly, out of MMOs, I'd single out SWTOR and TSW). Fe is weak because there is nothing to CONNECT with in most MMOs. And you can't express yourself because in most MMOs you can't really sing, play an instrument etc. Come to think about it, would LoTR:O score higher in Fe(you can play instruments and even compose music there)? And Se? Well, most MMOs are dull, flat areas where there really isn't anything to look out for. And pressing 3112115311... is as stimulating to Se as it sounds. Which would say not at all. But! I think that the further you go from tab-target, the more Se's you attract. Opportunity cost? You lose TJs. Result? NOT AT ALL WORTH IT!

Interesting topic to be sure!

#5 ·
Is kinda difficult to answer things about things with whom I have no experience with(or nigh so). But seeing how well versed I am about games(GAME DESIGN ESPECIALLY! OMG T3H GAME DESIGN!), I'll do this as requested. Ok let's go with a sandbox first. I take it you've targetted Minecraft/Trove and the like when you said "sandbox" and not various sandbox mmos. I'll proceed under that assumption, so take care:

When talking about Minecraft/Trove/EQNext:Landmark("sandboxes") what first gets to people is how FREE they really are to do whatever they want to do. Want to build a klom tall building? Go ahead! Want to dig until you reach hell? Go ahead! Want to just simulate a nice, quiant, secluded farm life? Go ahead! Want to battle with monsters? Go ahead! See, the possiblities(and realities within) are LIMITLESS! Mind you, these games haven't yet reached their potential, but reach that potential they will. I'll talk more about it later. What also gets to people in these games is that they can REALLY interact with their environment(outside of sandboxes, I can't remember a SINGLE game where you can manipulate your environment as much as you can in sandboxes). Creativity that lies within this freedom is also what's important to a LOT of people and the ability to create their dreamworlds. Mostly, sandbox is like living inside your head-in the most wild fantasy imagineable. That'd be it considering sandboxes, therefore this'll be their cog.fnct stack:

SANDBOX FUNCTION STACK: Ne -> Fi -> Se -> Ni = Te -> Si -> Fe = Ti
NeFi(ENFP), FiNe(INFP), FiSe(ISFP)
SANDBOX* FUNCTION STACK: Ne -> Fi -> Se -> Fe -> Ni = Te -> Si -> Ti
The same archetypes
*=with potential unlocked

As you can see, top three archetypes that'd like a game like this are ALL some kind of a dreamer. A sandbox allows you to live this dream fully. It also allows FiSe's to create something of their own, an act that they are SO DESPERATE about. Now about that potential I was about:

-> You still can't have karaoke or play an instrument in games like these. Which is a mighty shame because then the real potential would come out and the potential of such games lies within Intuitive and Feeling domains. Or in other words: these games are 12569% subjective. -0% objective. I think that anyone who ever even tried to play them can agree with such a statement.

Games like these will always be weak on Si and Ti because you can have WILDLY different results from one play session to the next(weak Si) and there just aren't things to calculate, define and bring into order(weak Ti). Why is Te more powerful then? Well, because you can arrange, you can schedule, you can actually do a lot of Te oriented stuff, quite unlike Ti. Ti is practically absent from a sandbox(and a GOOD RIDDANCE I say!). At least that is my impression.

///

About FPSes. I'll take it you mean CoD/BF/CS and such while played in multiplayer? I'll work under that most logical assumption. Keep in mind that FPSes are almost as diverse as MMOs when it comes to various stuff, so this further complicates my thoughts. I'll just give my general impression, followed by a description for 2-4 biggest FPSes.

What truly differentiates an FPS from a RPG in a first person? The abiltiy to interact with your environment, the pace of action and the pure skill(true thing!) needed to compete. The last word is also very important. You must want to compete, otherwise wtf are you playing these games? There are other, better cooperative games. Just do yourself a favour and go play those instead! With that said, there's a very good reason why FPS was, is and is going to remain the #1 genre: IT INVOLVES YOUR SENSES LIKE NO OTHER GENRE! Meanwhile being competitive and...does that remind you of something? It does, doesn't it? It reminds you OF SPORTS! Hence, you now know the very first function used. The other functions would go as follows. Te can be pretty important due to a cutthroat competition often present within these games and because of a want to have an influence(more present in some FPSes than in others!). Si is used sporadically and mostly as a support function to remember what is a general layout of a map, or what goes best vs what. Ti is not used at all due to not very much formulae, numbers or otherwise being present. Fi isn't used as well because why would it be? In games like these, black sheep/individuals are the worst thing that can happen(even flaming noobs are better!). Fe is actually quite a welcome sight because you can always use an inspiring speech/a bit of RnR when the going gets tough. It's also nice to see this in a sub-leader. Ni could also be more present than you think because this is only fantasy about being a BIG BAD SOLDIER GRUNT and if you wanted to be that, you'd be. Therefore, Ni could also be present. Now onto stacks:

CoD FUNCTION STACK: Se -> Te -> Fe -> Si -> Ni -> Ti -> Ne -> Fi
TeSi(ESTJ), FeSi(ESFJ), SiTe(ISTJ)

As I said, cutthroat competition at its best! What surprised me that even in spite of Se being CLEARLY the first function you think about when speaking of CoD, it's actually not present at all within each archetype listed. What is also noticeable, and quite at that, is that you have 2x Hardcore player type(STJs) and a "I wanna have fun" player type(SFJ). Hence the atmosphere as it is within CoD. You know VERY WELL what I am talking about! This fnct.stack just explains why exactly I always LOATHED FPSes. NeFi are in the last place = go fk yourself! CoD archetype applies to games like UT(Unreal Tournament) and CS(CounterStrike) as well. It's just that difficulty/level of reflexes required etc vary.

BATTLEFIELD FUNCTION STACK: Te -> Si -> Se -> Ne -> Fe -> Ni -> Ti -> Fi
TeSi(ESTJ), SiTe(ISTJ), TeNi(ENTJ)

The reason why this is so, because Battlefield is supposed to be a true, well, battlefield simulator. Do I agree that ever since Battlefield 2 or so it went into completely wrong direction and dumbified itself almost to a more team oriented version of CoD? Almost to the point of it being like a mod for CoD? YES I DO! And this is VERY BAD! Battlefield was a fun game to play, unlike many boring shooters. You actually needed to employ tactics and strategy to win(in some maps especially) quite unlike your typical "SPRAY AND PRAY" FPS of yore. Regardless, bF often requires and has required quite a military focus in order to play at the peak performance. This just goes to say how better BF is when compared to Call of Beauty(wooops! I meant duty!). This further explains top three archetypes. All three are hardcore, grizzled and executive to a T. That'd sum that up very well.

///

That'd be it! If you have any more requests, feel free to post!

edit: I think I need to try sandboxes and FPSes can rot in hell for all I care...

#9 ·
I hated League the one time I played it-- there was too much competition, and not enough freedom for me. I really enjoy WoW, because the world is so diverse and beautiful, and it's fun to just wander around and explore the whole thing. I wish the storyline was more of a focal point, though, and that the RP community was more intense.
Everyone plays things differently. NFP types, I think, generally prefer to just screw around and play with their characters, and roam around following whatever interests them. ST types like feeling like they're solving problems and accomplishing things. They're different interests.

#11 · (Edited)
I think it depends greatly on the MMO.

RuneScape, for example, is a total Si game.

League of Legends, though, is probably more for Se doms/auxs for the casuals and the advanced players are probably actually a variety of types...

I don't see why a Ti preferrer couldn't be a pro league player. But it's probably mostly Te preferrers.

I would be surprised if there were any Fi/Fe preferrers at the pro level.

To add to this, I find myself most enjoying the money-making aspect of MMOs. I like to buy and sell items to make a profit. Watching my bank increase has always been my favorite part of any game.

Reactions: Unfey
#20 ·
The type of people that are drawn to bad boys/girls. Coming from Socionics, it'd be something that has Se as a suggestive function and most likely Fi. Hence, INFJ/INTJ and ENFJ/ENTJ. Now, could it be applied the other way around? To Se doms and creative(1st/2nd fnct)? I don't think so. If we are talking about Se doms(ESFP/ESTP), they are already out there, doing whatever they want to do. They don't need a computer game to do something. They LIVE IT. So, if they wanted to be a gang member/a mobster, they'd find a way. What about Fi doms with Se creative and Ti doms with Se creative? I can't speak for TiSe's(ISTPs), but most of us FiSe's(ISFP) find such things as GTA highly offensive and really not what we want to play/be caught doing. Don't forget the moralistic Fi! Out of all those types, I'd say that INTJ/ENTJs are most likely to want to play it. Partly because they are attracted to such things, partly because GTA is actually quite a Te experience and partly because it does have elements of Ni(it always has a freeform gameplay where you can destroy/create whatever you want while having quite a convergent plot of your rise in power -> hence TeNi). Gameplay is more of a Ni affair I think. Ultimate freedom to do whatever you wish. Yeah.

ENTJ/INTJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.