Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Also, relationships. I haven't had one in real life before but I doubt it's worth the trouble. It's all happening in my head, though...and that's satisfying enough.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
lots of things are better left in the head. can you imagine if thoughts came true? you'll be all stressed out trying to keep all the crabs from scattering in all directions if the crab basket tilts over.

And yes... the mind is like a basketful of crabs. live ones. each though random. and ready to go if given the opportunity and the moment.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've noticed a lot that sometimes when something sounds brilliant in my mind it sounds really awkward when I say it out loud and for this reason I keep my mouth shut unless I know my thoughts makes perfect sense and I can articulate them clearly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes. I augment most experiences with my imagination, sometimes purposely, but most of the time unintentionally. I've recently realized how boring I actually am when looking at my life from outside my mind.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nope. They're usually better in your head. It's not just you. I just don't think language (or art) is enough to express the things we think about sometimes... and then, even if you can - by some chance - express exactly what you're thinking, if no one gets it, it's worthless.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
- I would typically rather hear my own thoughts than someone elses.
- I have a really rich inner-world, with lots of imagination and fantasy.
- Reality for the most part bores me.

All in all.. sure. Yes.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
You have no idea. What I think I understand perfectly in my head comes out as a lot of studdering, pausing, and having no idea how to say it. Thinking the thought is easy, actually figuring out what words I want to say it...is much more difficult.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I often use my imagination to make the world a more fun place. If I see a trail through the woods, I think, "there are wood nymphs and trolls down that way." Or sometimes I'll imagine myself transforming into a large bird---usually when I'm running as that's when the air is rushing past me. Anything to make the world a little bit stranger.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Except scallion pancakes with garlic sauce. Those are even better.

·
Registered
588 Posts
this is such a relatable frustration for me because i love comedy and yet am the single worst teller of anecdotes and long-form jokes in the orion-cygnus arm. more often they're funny images or vignettes in my head that don't lend well to verbal translation. which i'm quite content to enjoy privately from inside my cranial wall except for the fact that i'm usually shaking with laughter and so red in the cheeks that surrounding people demand to know what's so funny. and i despise being asked because every time i'm forced to articulate it, it never does justice to the original picture and the reaction from said surrounding people is often as though they were pat robertson looking at this:

in person, i'm far more comfortable with minimalist humour and using the fewest words to the same effect. i prefer improv or one-liners to long, planned-out jokes. the latter make me nervous.

i'm also going to come out in defense of intra-cranial sex, especially if you have a healthy imagination. in the words of woody allen, "don't knock masturbation. it's sex with someone i love".

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Yes and no, depending on the circumstances. I usually deride myself for things that are perceived to be "good" by other people, like an assignment I aced for school or a skill displayed in a sport. In my mind, I'm like "I could have done this instead of that, could have worked harder, and will improve next time." I’m never entirely satisfied. But I do better than I expected or do bad and am prepared to handle it and it's not as bad as I thought.

On the other hand, I daydream a lot. I daydream about myself doing and being different things, like being a school teacher, or a boxer, or a scientist, or a professional assassin, swinging my blade into the skull of an unsuspecting enemy or mixing two potions together. But I know that it takes effort and continual practice to be proficient at one thing, let alone many different things, so my ideal mental fantasy isn't up to par with realistic expectations.

I get bored easily too, so after initially being interested in an idea like behavioral economics, I may lose interest and focus on quantum mechanics instead, until I become bored of that too and focus on another subject. That initial drive will fizzle out, but when it's going, I'm obsessed with every little aspect of it. I deceivingly tell myself, "This is so interesting. I wonder what will happen if this happens... ZAP! I think I'm going to focus on this from now on." Yeah right, self. You're kidding yourself.

What I want to do is bridge the gap between mental-fantasy and reality, by translating what I thought or felt to another person. That’s one of my most favorite things to do, to share a mutual understanding of ideas with another person. It’s not often that people relate to me, well, except on here sometimes.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
You have no idea. What I think I understand perfectly in my head comes out as a lot of studdering, pausing, and having no idea how to say it. Thinking the thought is easy, actually figuring out what words I want to say it...is much more difficult.
I hate it when I just can't seem to bring out my thoughts. I spend a good amount of time articulating what I have to say, but when I try to say it, my once brilliant idea just vanishes. I then have to start at square one and try to figure out what exactly I was thinking and how to put it into words.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts