Personality Cafe banner

Just to satisfy my own curiosity

• INFP and vegan?

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • INFP who is not vegan but is considering it?

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • INFP and will never go vegan or never thought about it?

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Not INFP (another type) and are vegan?

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Not INFP who is not vegan but is considering it?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not INFP and will never go vegan or never thought about it?

Votes: 9 29.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that this personality type would generally be drawn to the philosophy of veganism?

I saw an interesting comment under a youtube video about the INFP personality type that said in a Facebook poll made for a vegan community they realised that most participants in the poll had the INFP personality type. Just wanted to hear what people's take on this might be.

·
Registered
INTP | LII
302 Posts
I had a former boss who was a vegan INFP. They're all over the place though. I also have a vegan best friend who's also an INTJ. People adopt ideologies and ethical stances for different reasons. An SFP might be inclined to try veganism for its health benefits, and stick with it because it feels good-- justifying it retroactively after they settle into the lifestyle.

·
Registered
ENTJ, 3w2 sx/sp, 387 Tritype
3,078 Posts
Oh boy, not this sterotyping again... Why does INFP always have to be painted as the SJW?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh boy, not this sterotyping again... Why does INFP always have to be painted as the SJW?
I read an article last night that said that Fi tends to empathise most with children, animals and the sick and needy ie the most vulnerable and/or innocent. That trait must be where the SJW stereotype come from. I don't mean to reinforce a stereotype, I'm just curious. I haven't been actively studying personality psychology for very long but I have started noticing that stereotyping is prevalent. Which btw is very interesting. That goes to show that you can't categorise people without prejudices eventually popping up

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This is a popular stereotype that is not always true. I think the stereotype comes from our natural ability to empathize. I'm an INFP and I eat meat at almost every meal. I couldn't care less about vegetarianism. I've never actually met a vegan so I can't compare too much...but I do know a lot of NF's who are not.

The biggest animal lover I know is an INTJ. I would have easily mistyped them if I went off by that fact, but I guess it's the one thing that activates their tert Fi. But even then, they talk about their love for animals in a more ...thinker like way (it's hard to explain but it's not as 'gushy/outspoken' like I would be with activism) and they act very stereotypical Ni-Te with people. It's hard to stereotype interests and levels of activism on x subject just by type alone, it's just that different types talk about it/approach it differently.

·
Registered
ENTJ, 3w2 sx/sp, 387 Tritype
3,078 Posts
I read an article last night that said that Fi tends to empathise most with children, animals and the sick and needy ie the most vulnerable and/or innocent. That trait must be where the SJW stereotype come from. I don't mean to reinforce a stereotype, I'm just curious. I haven't been actively studying personality psychology for very long but I have started noticing that stereotyping is prevalent. Which btw is very interesting. That goes to show that you can't categorise people without prejudices eventually popping up
But this has nothing to do with veganism. MBTI type does not determine if you're a vegan or not.

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
There was a thread about this a few months ago with a poll attached. About 50% of people who said they were vegan were INFPs. I'm not sure if this is because INFPs are more likely to be vegan, or if it's mainly that there are just a lot of INFPs here. Probably a little bit of both.

Either way, I'm a vegan INFP, mostly for ethical reasons. I've been vegan for over a year now and feel great. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not everyone is vegan because killing things is sad.

Not everyone is vegan for the same reasons.

Therefore there is no reason to think one type has all the vegans. Simple logic.
Yeah I agree. That's why I was specific in saying the philosophy of veganism. It's harder to give up on veganism when you do it for ethical reasons rather than health so that's why I was wondering if that had to do anything with the facebook poll I mentioned initially being dominated by infp

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yeah I agree. That's why I was specific in saying the philosophy of veganism. It's harder to give up on veganism when you do it for ethical reasons rather than health so that's why I was wondering if that had to do anything with the facebook poll I mentioned initially being dominated by infp
Just because you can put vegans in two groups, "ethical and for health" vegans that doesn't mean there are two types of vegan.

Every vegan has their own thumbprint like reason for doing what they are doing. It is specific to each person.

For example, imo I don't think it's as sustainable to eat farmed meat compared to farmed plant food.

That doesn't mean I'm a health nut or that I think it's ethically wrong to eat animals.

I'm Buddhist that's why I don't eat animals. Not ethics not health. And I'm sure every vegan has a unique view on the topic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But this has nothing to do with veganism. MBTI type does not determine if you're a vegan or not.
I think it does. The reason why I do is because if you learn about the true nature of animal agriculture and you're prone to being very empathetic then it would make sense that you would live your life in alignment with those feelings. And esp since INFP tend to make decisions on personal morality over what's typical or expected more than most then it would make since that these traits would guide them. That's why I mentioned Fi types and empathy as a possible explanation

·
Banned
1,138 Posts
Code:
*      NAME: Smegma                                                          *
* MBTI TYPE: INTJ-T                                                          *
*      DATE: April 19, 2018                                                  *
*   MESSAGE: I am confused about the poll. What exactly is the question? The *
*            thread title? The option answers don't seem to fit the          *
*            question. Am I suppose to say what I am?                        *

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just because you can put vegans in two groups, "ethical and for health" vegans that doesn't mean there are two types of vegan.

Every vegan has their own thumbprint like reason for doing what they are doing. It is specific to each person.

For example, imo I don't think it's as sustainable to eat farmed meat compared to farmed plant food.

That doesn't mean I'm a health nut or that I think it's ethically wrong to eat animals.

I'm Buddhist that's why I don't eat animals. Not ethics not health. And I'm sure every vegan has a unique view on the topic.
Good points. Some people do it for the environment, some for health, some for the animals and for a lot of people it's a mix. The point I was trying to come from was that the majority of the west consumes animal products so vegans are a small part of the population. Most people today have grown up consuming animals and it's hard to switch up what you've been doing your entire life so many (at least in my experience)either try it and then give up or don't bother trying and just go on doing what they've always done. That's why I was wondering if of that small amount of vegans, the majority would be INFP because my thinking here is that high Fi would be drawn to the ethical angle more and stick with it, esp INFP who tend to base their life on their own personal system rather than the societal norm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Code:
*      NAME: Smegma                                                          *
* MBTI TYPE: INTJ-T                                                          *
*      DATE: April 19, 2018                                                  *
*   MESSAGE: I am confused about the poll. What exactly is the question? The *
*            thread title? The option answers don't seem to fit the          *
*            question. Am I suppose to say what I am?                        *
The question is: Are you....? and then answer one that fits you. It is a bit ambiguous sorry about that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There was a thread about this a few months ago with a poll attached. About 50% of people who said they were vegan were INFPs. I'm not sure if this is because INFPs are more likely to be vegan, or if it's mainly that there are just a lot of INFPs here. Probably a little bit of both.

Either way, I'm a vegan INFP, mostly for ethical reasons. I've been vegan for over a year now and feel great. :)
I would not be surprised if it had a lot to do with the amount of INFPs on here. That should definitely be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is a popular stereotype that is not always true. I think the stereotype comes from our natural ability to empathize. I'm an INFP and I eat meat at almost every meal. I couldn't care less about vegetarianism. I've never actually met a vegan so I can't compare too much...but I do know a lot of NF's who are not.

The biggest animal lover I know is an INTJ. I would have easily mistyped them if I went off by that fact, but I guess it's the one thing that activates their tert Fi. But even then, they talk about their love for animals in a more ...thinker like way (it's hard to explain but it's not as 'gushy/outspoken' like I would be with activism) and they act very stereotypical Ni-Te with people. It's hard to stereotype interests and levels of activism on x subject just by type alone, it's just that different types talk about it/approach it differently.
I have three INFP friends who arent vegan. Theyre not even vegetarian. I'm the only vegan I know and I don't know if I know any other INFPs because I don't know everyone's personality. Also I'm not all that confident when I comes to typing people freestyle. I agree I actually think it's possible for every type to identify with veganism but the emphasis wouldn't be the same for everyone. That's why I still asked the question because just knowing one or two non-vegan INFP doesn't mean that of the already exsisting population of vegans there arent loads of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I'm an INTJ vegetarian, and what's mentioned above as sounding Ni-Te when describing love for animals is true for me. When people ask why I don't eat meat, I recall this one time before thanksgiving I read the statistics of turkey death every year for a holiday some people celebrate blindly. When people are truly interested, I give them facts and numbers. I was vegan initially for four months, but I eat eggs and yogurt now.

I've met a lot of INFPs and none of them were vegan or vegetarian. My INFJ best friend years ago wanted to stop eating meat, and I'm sure she watched those animal cruelty and health videos in her free time, but she never stopped eating it. Another INFJ friend told me she went vegetarian for about a month, but got sick from lack of protein, so she started eating meat again. I worked with a pescetarian ISFJ and an ISFP who was a vegetarian or vegan (can't remember) for religious purposes.

Maybe generally you could say there is a correlation among certain types, but you can't say typology is causation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts