Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been pointed out here a few times that NF seems to be the most common temperament in Personality Cafe, specifically INFP. I'm not looking to reiterate that fact; what I'd like to know, especially from any NF users, is if that trend holds across other personality forums.

• Are NF types the most common on personality forums aimed at all types?
  • Do type-specific forums for NFs (i.e. INFP forums, ENFP, etc.) have more members than other such forums?
  • Why do members of the NF temperament seem so interested in Jungian theory? I might be biased, but that seems like an NT area, rather than NF.
  • What NF type do you think is the most common in personality forums?
  • What NF type do you think is the most rare?
Quite a lot of questions, but I'd like to know about these things, especially if it can garner a better understanding of the NF temperament as a whole.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think INXX is the most common, althougt PerC is definately dominated by NFs. INXXs tend to have difficulties relating in real life leading them on a quest to find their place, with seemingly INFPs and INTPs leading the bunch as far as numbers are concerned. There seems to be many many more INFJs than INTJs which I assume has to do with the limited applicability of MBTI.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
INXXs tend to have difficulties relating in real life leading them on a quest to find their place, with seemingly INFPs and INTPs leading the bunch as far as numbers are concerned.
Would the larger portion of INFPs and INTPs of the INxx types be because of their more common happening than either INTJ or INFJ, or because of other reasons, possibly related to their 'P' characteristics?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It's impossible to say.

Vast generalizations ahead, proceed with caution.

I would guess it's related to the IP desire to understand versus the IJ desire to apply. INFJs are common because they, being more people oriented than their T counterparts, find either good company here or find ways to implement their understanding because it deals with people. IPs on the other hand take satisfaction generally from understanding MB as a system and a reflection of their idea of the world. Of course there's crossover as this isn't a science, but the tendency is there. INs are more common than ISs because of the theoretical nature of the system.

Of course, it could be numbers, but there are no reliable statistics on the population of types.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
  • Are NF types the most common on personality forums aimed at all types?
No...personal observation leads me to believe that NTs are most common. Maybe not on this board, but I visit other MBTI forums.

• Do type-specific forums for NFs (i.e. INFP forums, ENFP, etc.) have more members than other such forums?
No....I believe the most active type specific forums are actually for INTPs and INTJs. The INFJ forum is a bit slow, as is INFP globalchatter.

• Why do members of the NF temperament seem so interested in Jungian theory? I might be biased, but that seems like an NT area, rather than NF.
Intuitives are usually most interested in MBTI, because intuitives like theory. Sensors are usually only interested in theory when it has more practical application. SPs tend to be the least interested in MBTI, especially for the long term (a brief quiz is okay, discussing the theory, not so much). SJs like it if they determine it's useful in some way.

• What NF type do you think is the most common in personality forums?
Probably INFPs, because being Fi-dom, we are most interested in our identity. Pondering self is a big part of who we are. After that, I'd say it's a toss up between INFJs and ENFPs. Both are rather common on these kind of boards. ENFJs are the most unusual to find on MBTI forums (unfortunately!).

• What NF type do you think is the most rare?
Stats usually support that INFJs are the most rare of all the types. INFPs are the next most rare of the NFs, then ENFJs, and lastly ENFPs. ENFPs are like 8%, which I find comforting (rarity is overrated - more NFs is better :tongue:). I think xNFJ males are the rarest of all the NFs, with INFP males not far ahead.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think INXX is the most common, althougt PerC is definately dominated by NFs. INXXs tend to have difficulties relating in real life leading them on a quest to find their place, with seemingly INFPs and INTPs leading the bunch as far as numbers are concerned. There seems to be many many more INFJs than INTJs which I assume has to do with the limited applicability of MBTI.
Posted via Mobile Device
I assume that the reason there seem to be more INFJs is that we are more people-oriented. There were a couple of threads a while back - one asked the INFJs about their childhood and the other asked the INTJs about theirs. Both types felt out-of-place, but while the INTJs tended to withdraw and focus on things other than people, the INFJs withdrew but still tended to seek a connection that they felt they were lacking. I believe this may be part of the reason that there seem to be more INFJs here than INTJs.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Why do members of the NF temperament seem so interested in Jungian theory? I might be biased, but that seems like an NT area, rather than NF.
I would like to point out in this specific instance that Isabel Briggs-Myers was herself an INFP and was the creator of MBTI, so it would seem an incongruency to suggest NTs should theoretically be more plentiful on an MBTI website than INFPs :wink:

There's also the fact that personality type doesn't dictate what would or would not interest someone. This is why we have INTJ artists and INFP chemical engineers. It's not a measure of intelligence or what someone would/would not be good at or interested in. As @OrangeAppled pointed out, iNtuitives in general enjoy theory (yes, even NFs :tongue:). Sensing types can certainly enjoy theory as well and also be very good with it. The idea is that they are probably less likely to enjoy fiddling with theory just for the sake of fiddling with it. But, on the other hand, some very well may enjoy it.

EDIT: Oh, pfffffft. I just noticed this was an old thread. Thanks a lot, @Wellsy :kitteh:

·
Registered
63 Posts
NFs, by definition, are people centric. MBTI is a theory about how people work and what they value. Therefore, NFs will be drawn to MBTI either because it aids in understanding the thoughts, feelings, and behavior of others or those of themselves. Most INFPs deeply desire to understand themselves and gain insight into what makes them "them", as many INFPs who don't know they are INFPs might just see themselves as strange and in need of "adapting". Same applies for the other NFs. MBTI is a helpful resource for helping to identify and solidify strengths in an individual that they might have viewed in the past as aberrations in need of being "corrected". I'm sure I am not the only NF that felt a little isolated from many others growing up. Because of our different means of processing, there is a perceived distance between ourselves (NFs) and other types (particularly the more abundant SPs and SJs). When an NF discovers MBTI and determines that their "weirdness" isn't actually weird (one of my least favorite words) but could indeed be a valuable asset, it empowers the NF, gives them that "AHA" moment, and encourages them to proceed with confidence further down the path of self-development.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts