Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
^Also, I tend to think that online is a self-projection of our own realities in which we create via the cyber world of fantasy.. How we perceive people or how they converse online may be entirely different to how they present themselves IRL.

I think online friendships can be real if you meet in person and you still click with each other offline. If you speak together hours to hours on end, definitely a bond there. Like minds think alike.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
If you're willing to acknowledge how the perceptions are necessarily different, sure.

It's not impossible, I've seen it work. One just has to know that it operates under some different rules. I don't think you can expect to treat it the same as a relationship in person, in the majority of cases.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
You might do better if you could first define 'online relationships'.

Do you mean long distance relationships, 'forum' relationships, online dating, etc?
Yes, I would like a more clear definition as well.

·
Banned
141 Posts
It really depends. If you meet some one online and only chat with them online i would say the realtionship isnt real. but, if you meet someone online and you end up meeting in person or you chatted on the phone and plan to meet, then i guess you can label it as a real relationship. I agree with skycloud and strayberry lola, on-line you can be anyone you want and present your self in the fantasy you imagine your self to be.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
It really depends. If you meet some one online and only chat with them online i would say the realtionship isnt real. but, if you meet someone online and you end up meeting in person or you chatted on the phone and plan to meet, then i guess you can label it as a real relationship. I agree with skycloud and strayberry lola, on-line you can be anyone you want and present your self in the fantasy you imagine your self to be.
Good point. How can you love someone that you have never met in real life? Come on dude.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Good point. How can you love someone that you have never met in real life? Come on dude.
I guess you could love the concept of the online individual? Like people love characters in a story? But with a heap less romanticisation? Personally, a face to face interaction is a whole heap different to a face to face one in my opinion. With people and situations it's all context specific lol.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I guess you could love the concept of the online individual? Like people love characters in a story? But with a heap less romanticisation? Personally, a face to face interaction is a whole heap different to a face to face one in my opinion. With people and situations it's all context specific lol.
Doesn't that break the rules of biology completely? Anything where two people have not met in person is just puppy love to me.

·
Registered
923 Posts
All I know Is I feel closer emotionally to my SO, who I'm planning to meet in the near future more than any of my other offline relationships. I meen sure an only online relationship isnt a fullfledged one but I'd say it's a bit more than puppy love. It is different to be certain. When an online relationship moves from cyberspace to reality is when we can be certain it is a real fully fledged one.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
All I know Is I feel closer emotionally to my SO, who I'm planning to meet in the near future more than any of my other offline relationships. I meen sure an only online relationship isnt a fullfledged one but I'd say it's a bit more than puppy love. It is different to be certain. When an online relationship moves from cyberspace to reality is when we can be certain it is a real fully fledged one.
True, very true.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, they are real relationships...depending on the level of contact.

I had an online girlfriend for about four months. We talked online whenever we could, Skyped when possible, chatted on the phone at night. It was really sweet, and oh god I loved her. My family broke it up because they didn't approve of my immoral behavior. I'm still getting over it, deep down. With people I know in person, I've never been very easily understood, and it makes it difficult for me with relationships. My girlfriend saw me as I was and accepted me. We balanced each other out well (me being NT temperamented, and her being an SP). She could understand my thought processes I couldn't express through talking.

Coming from me, the word "love" is strange, because I put up a rather unemotional front. In fact, I have a very difficult time expressing how I felt in general. But with her...there was something.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm in an online relationship right now...I plan to meet her in real life and move to the city she lives in as soon as I can. I love her a lot and the relationship I have with her is much closer, realer, and more intense than many relationships that people share in real life are. If you told me what I have with her isn't real, I'd think you were very insane

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The only relationships I consider to be really real, are the ones, where there's no tools used to communicate with them (internet/phone). To be honest, I don't even like having extended conversations on the phone, and one of the few people who doesn't have a facebook. I'd rather just hang out in person, being reliant on technology to establish relationships, is bad, and one of the reasons I hate technology cause virtually everyone does it.

Honestly, I hate to say this, but, I mean, seriously, it comes to a point where technology is just fucking gay. It's like people don't know how to talk to eachother anymore. I've seen many instances where, people will be sitting at a table with one another AND ALL BE TEXTING. And the other day, I was coming through the hall, I'm taking a couple college courses, and literally EVERYONE about 20 people or so, I looked at all of them, were all just staring down at their phones. Only reason I talk on the phone and text is because I have to, I try to limit that shit as much as I can.

It's like damn man, I just hate phones. Also, they are annoying, because, seriously in traffic, I have seen this trend getting pretty ridiculous, where a person is driving and swerving, and don't know when to go when the green light comes, and if I pass them, I'll see them just looking down and texting. It seriously pisses me off. Technology pisses me off when people are overly reliant on things like this.

I know, I'm on a rant, here, but, ya know. I don't view people on boards as real relationships. I know you guys are people and such, but I suppose some of your personalities are masked due to being anonymous. I probably sound like a hypocrite too here, since I've used message boards pretty regularly since I was about 20 or so. I'm 25 now. I think they are good sources of information, and it's fun and helpful at times. But it's similar to establishing relationships with characters on television show.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Friend relationships - yes

Romantic relationships - no

As intellectually compatible you might be and as emotionally intimate as you might get (or pretend to get) with someone online, it is ultimately hugely impersonal. You might feel free to share some private things you are afraid to share in person, but you are also losing out on the 90% of communication that is nonverbal and the component of attraction and chemistry that you only get from in-person interaction. You simply cannot bond in the same way. IMO online relationships are just newage penpals (and this comes from someone who has been in one as a teenager and thought it was really serious at the time).

A "real relationship" is often a trial for lifestyle compatability, to see how well your day-to-day lives and mannerisms and needs fit together. It gives you a lot of insight into any potential you might have to live together in a codependant relationship/marriage/etc.. You cannot test that out online. It is easy to miss certain incomptabilities online that would be immediately evident with an in-person relationship.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Doesn't that break the rules of biology completely? Anything where two people have not met in person is just puppy love to me.
Rules? What rules?

Who's to say that one can't find this 'puppy love' to be entirely sufficient?

What one wants or needs to get out of it is entirely up to them. We don't get to say what someone else finds to be 'real' in this regard.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts