Personality Cafe banner

Do mentally challenged people just have a different personality?

• Yes, they are born with differences in personality?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it's like with gay people or homosexuals, they are just born different

• Yes, they are using different intuitive modalities than their "normal" counterparts

• That's a very interesting thought, I will have to think about it

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No, it's just a genetic abnormality, and a trait to be eliminated from the population

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No, it's like people born without legs, it's a disability

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Where did you get this idea?

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are people of "low IQ" or "born idiot" really just people of a different personality?

Ever since noticing the modalities, I have wondered how certain people, who are born with Down Syndrome or born with learning disability, or are mentally handicapped ("born an idiot"), actually are using a different intuitive modality, than people of their same MBTI+ personality. For example, Collette Divitto, who has Down Syndrome and owns a cookie store, is ENFP, SoCom, hands-on learner, Energy-being, affirmation love language. She uses Clairgustance as her intuitive modality, while "normal" people of her MBTI+ personality type uses Clairalience, like Luise Rainier. This is especially interesting in that they share the same Frequency Temperament, because if the Frequency Temperament is different, while the other aspects of MBTI+ remain the same (political temperament, love language, learning style), then such difference in intuitive modality is possible, without the cognitive difference.

People with Down Syndrome, and others with "mental challenge", are actually of a personality, much like how people who are gay are "born with it", and of different personality. Also, unlike people who are mentally challenged, though without obvious genetic difference, as present in those with Down Syndrome, people with Down Syndrome can be more seen as different mentally-physically, rather than just different mentally.

For a list of famous individuals with Down Syndrome (who achieved profession success), please check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_Down_syndrome

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "Type & IQ question".
It might appear like that on the surface, though the question is really about whether people born intellectually challenged might be using different modalities from their "normal" counteparts

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
I think the answer is both yes and no.

That is to say certain personality types are prone to certain IQ related issued or disorders AND ... malformation of any part of the body can lead to a wide range of disorders as well.

The two are thus quite related and intertwined. Your question is asking the 'is a' relationship, whereas the correct relationship is a 'correlates to' relationship.

Reactions: Notus Asphodelus

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think the answer is both yes and no.

That is to say certain personality types are prone to certain IQ related issued or disorders AND ... malformation of any part of the body can lead to a wide range of disorders as well.

The two are thus quite related and intertwined. Your question is asking the 'is a' relationship, whereas the correct relationship is a 'correlates to' relationship.
Yes, certain personalities, when using the "incorrect" intuitive modalities (per their personality type), leads or correlates to mental challenges, or be "stuck" in one mode-state that hampers the ability to learn and relate with other people.

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Yes, certain personalities, when using the incorrect intuitive modalities, leads or correlates to mental challenges, or be "stuck" in one mode-state that hampers the ability to learn and relate with other people.
So you parrot the 'yes' part of my answer, but do not mention the no part. This again is dangerous and indicative of confusion or an agenda that is lopsided morally. You MUST mention the balancing 'no' part or it will seem as if you do not understand. Do you follow that contention?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you parrot the 'yes' part of my answer, but do not mention the no part. This again is dangerous and indicative of confusion or an agenda that is lopsided morally. You MUST mention the balancing 'no' part or it will seem as if you do not understand. Do you follow that contention?
What is the no part?

The question does not relate to people or babies who are mentally challenged due to brain damage from lack of oxygen, or infection, or concussions-head injuries.

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
What is the no part?

The question does not relate to people or babies who are mentally challenged due to brain damage from lack of oxygen, or infection, or concussions-head injuries.
I am sorry but your contention here is incorrect. People of low IQ or who are born idiots, ARE, whether you like or admit it or not, possibly 'mentally challenged due to brain damage from lack of oxygen, or infection, or concussions-head injuries.' So, the no part must be included for completeness in order to discuss the topic.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Like so many other things within "personality" it's a spectra.
Of course mental impairment falls within personality. However where the societal dysfunction line is isn't only up to hidden social values/cultures/laws, politicians practising their might is highly responsible for where the line is to be drawn. The bottom lines in a humane society is usually "how much help should we give to the helpless?" and "when is an individual helpless?".

Reactions: eatery125

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Nobody's born intelligent. But not everybody's born with the potential.

And since (Jungian) personality is about how one personally processes informations, it does nothing but measuring one's ability to become either intelligent or insane (in various forms of insanity) over time.

Collette Divitto, who has Down Syndrome and owns a cookie store, is ENFP, SoCom, hands-on learner, Energy-being, affirmation love language. She uses Clairgustance
I can't decide if I want to erase this sentence from my memory or use it as a signature so that everyone wants to erase it from their memory.

Now if you excuse me, my eyes bleed too much

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Funny - my husband brought this exact topic up last night. Overall I tend to think it isn't a good idea to group people with intellectual deficits or delays separately, because the human cognitive spectrum is very varied both in terms of IQ (which itself is deeply debated) and many, many other sorts of measures. It's far more colorful and complex for everyone, not just individuals with apparent intellectual difference.

To get further into that.... to begin with, personality isn't entirely objective or empirical and most of the categories we discuss are highly conceptual. How certain disorders, delays, differences, and/or mental illnesses interact with how a person fits into personality is complex and varied, depending on how their cognitive processes are impacted. Note that people with learning disorders can be well above the general population in terms of overall IQ, despite having a deficit in one specific area; others can be "idiot-savant" in terms of having a low overall IQ but extreme aptitude in certain areas. I think it's also important to bear in mind that not all neurotypical, average intelligence people are described well by all personality systems anyway. Many people fall near dividing lines in descriptive dichotomies (after all, most people will be closer to a norm than its extremes), and some individuals have very clear leanings in some systems and much less clear leanings in others.

Overall, suggesting a dividing line based on general intellect seems to me like trying to lay down a 2-D line in a multi-dimensional space.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You have got it back to front!
Ingorance is bliss, and thus its the smart people who are the genetic freaks doomed to a life of frustration! Be a sheeple, or the EXTJ that leeds them. That is who the world is made for.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've always wondered about stuff like this. I was watching Beavis and Butt-head, it's interesting, they are incredibly stupid but sometimes they come upon some good insights that most people wouldn't think of. I know they're fictional characters written by smart people but I think low-IQ people might not necessarily be less smart than high-IQ people, their cognition just prioritizes different things (same with autistic people).

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
No.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts