Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what forum, blog, or major publishing website you enter - anytime there is an invitation for commentary you are going to encounter the many comments that read "sensitive." I have read some comments that I agree and disagree with. But what baffles me is when people allow comments from people they do not agree with to really hit them on a personal level. Enough to enter defensive mode where they begin to form circular arguments, throw petty attacks and insults that are entirely irrelevant to the original discussion. It makes no sense to me. This cannot be avoided. Whether it is a discussion on suicide, religion, race, marriage, abortion, schools, politics, food etc. someone is bound to take a non-personal comment personally and begin with character assassinations that are completely arbitrary and unfounded.

If you voice your opinions based on fact - you're just wrong, ignorant and aren't understanding the real issue (aka saying what they want to hear)
If you ask for evidence behind a serious accusation - how dare you ask such a thing? Why are you trying to probe such a matter, when everyone else blindly agrees with me?!
If you suggest an alternative idea - you're disgusting and should be pitied about your existence.
If you support pro-choice/life - You're a misogynist, a murderer, self-hating, and vile.
If you don't agree that X was being racist towards Y - than you are clearly ignorant, shouldn't be allowed to speak, and most likely "white" LOL (yep, I have seen this!)
If you don't feel empathy towards D committing suicide - than you are a sociopath that needs education on the matter.

The list continues. When I read such comments from the over sensitive one thing still remains - their inability or lack of interest in discovering the truth behind an issue or idea. If you aren't with them than you must be against them. If you show any sign of questioning their experience this equates to you minimizing their experience which results in their justified attack against you as an individual. I understand that trolls do exist online, and they take pleasure in orchestrating such a mess... Regardless it doesn't answer the question. Why are there so many people online that are too sensitive? And why do they engage with these trolls or people they feel slighted by? Why can't they accept that not everyone shares the same experiences, or views as they do and that it is perfectly okay?

This got me thinking a lot today. What do you guys think? Is the Internet too sensitive? Should you log off the Internet if you are too sensitive? Should you engage with people who trigger you to behave erratically? Should people be allowed to voice their opinions and ideas online through blogs, forums, etc. without being attacked? Do any of you have any experiences with this whether you were the sensitive person or at the receiving end of attacks?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes (not specific to the internet. people are overly prone to taking things personally everywhere in my experience), probably not, no (you have the right to express yourself, you have no right to dictate how others respond to it), yes (always recieveing end).

·
Registered
488 Posts
The problem with the internet is that everyone takes themselves too seriously. I doubt most spend hours crafting intelligent responses-and yet react as if they had.

Other thing is, people are usually only sensitive in regards to topics about which they care deeply. And what do people seek on the internet? Discussions about things they're sensitive towards.

It's annoying, but it's not gonna stop anytime soon.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This. All of this needed to be said.

It seems to be common for me to be on the receiving end of emotional counterattacks brought on by sensitivity, and while it never fails to frustrate me, I don't really blame them for being upset lol. I do hold quite a few unpopular opinions that invariably set people off. Despite this, I don't think such responses are unwarranted, but I'd much rather see such conflicts take place in a private setting when they occur. It kills the discussion otherwise. As an example, I expressed an idea a few weeks ago that the world might have been better off in the long run if the CSA had been allowed to secede peacefully (I admittedly couldn't support anything as I didn't have a computer or books at the time since I was out of the country), but I ended up with two people attacking me personally for supporting slavery even though no I don't.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
It's not just the internet; it's just that it's easier to go off on someone when you're not standing there seeing the body language or the real-time ability to interrupt. I would not disallow it, except in the sense that I make an effort to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and it is a real effort with some people, especially once you've established a history with them.

I got hit with some extremely personal attacks five years ago over politics -- lost friends I had even met in person, had a few not-quite death threats. It was a little scary, and I've stayed away from such discussions ever since.

The only time I've made personal attacks was a little before that. My comment was a rant, labeled as a rant, and someone told me I needed to watch my manners, and I snarled back she needed to stop being so dishonestly polite -- it was a classic Fe/Fi clash, though I didn't know it at the time. Heh.

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
I take most things personally. Its very difficult for me to step back and analyse things without emotion and it has good and bad aspects; it means I can be oversensitive sometimes, and when someone criticises my ideas, it feels like they are criticising my worth which can evoke an emotionally sensitive response. But it also means that I care very deeply about peoples personal situations and I can emotionally engage them and even help some people because of this personalisation.

When it comes to religious people justifying abuse and discrimination or someone being overtly patronising or someone being rude or attacking to people I respect/admire ...I can't help but feel personally very heated and prone to be a bit snarky.

The issues you refer to with online debates involve social dynamics and social rules which intjs typically ignore which is why it makes no sense to you. Eg; calls to authority. Or the debater actually seeking emotional validation by agreement from others instead of discerning the truth of a matter. My intj friends would ignore someone's social accolades (popularity, celebrity status) or emotionally validating the person for what they are really seeking when debating. Most people value social heirachy above truth so they will use the social/emotional tactics which most elevate their social position/validate their existing position.

My esfp mother for example will expect you to trust her friends doctors hairdressers cousin because that person is popular and has social cred and if he says so, it must be true. Or she will say... "Its true because im your mother and i know best" (lol). So when you dismiss that as idiotic you threaten her world view and social heirachy and it can evoke a strong defensive response. You are also refusing to give her the social admiration which she expects for name dropping, so its a double assault to her ego.

There are reasons why these methods work...reputation and stories passed down from people in positions of social authority can be an efficient and effective way to retain Information, and based on a persons reputation you can filter what is likely or not to be true. The problem of course is that trusting people by default of their social status leads to popular politics and circle jerking instead of independent thinking and truth.

When you strip it back it seems like all Interactions are a power dance.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yes, I do think there are a lot of over-sensitive people on the internet. Also, people need to be able to separate themselves from what they are sharing publicly. My rule of thumb is that if it is something personal that I don't want the world to dissect, I don't put it out there for the world to see. And I think very deeply about what I do post, so that if someone calls me out I can at least offer perspective and deeper insight on how I came to that conclusion.

However, disagreement, even heated disagreement, with an NT's superiority is not the same thing as being too sensitive. I've seen self-typed INTJ after INTJ say something openly offensive like, "What, if they're enslaving these people maybe they're weak and they deserve it" and then get defensive and self-righteous when they get called out for being a dick. Come on. You say something shitty and people have the right to call you on it. That's not the same thing as them being "sensitive." Kinda goes both ways. If people don't have the right to post their blogs/opinions without getting any possibly dissenting feedback, you don't have a right to throw a smoke bomb in there and act surprised when people come out angry.

Not saying that applies to anyone in this thread, of course. Just that I've seen an awful lot of trolls who hide behind the "INTJ" label and then say something blatantly offensive, only to act surprised when people react to it. It's possible to be logical and offer dissenting or unpopular opinions without igniting a flame war yourself, if you're smart about it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you voice your opinions based on fact - you're just wrong, ignorant and aren't understanding the real issue (aka saying what they want to hear)
If you ask for evidence behind a serious accusation - how dare you ask such a thing? Why are you trying to probe such a matter, when everyone else blindly agrees with me?!
If you suggest an alternative idea - you're disgusting and should be pitied about your existence.
If you support pro-choice/life - You're a misogynist, a murderer, self-hating, and vile.
If you don't agree that X was being racist towards Y - than you are clearly ignorant, shouldn't be allowed to speak, and most likely "white" LOL (yep, I have seen this!)
If you don't feel empathy towards D committing suicide - than you are a sociopath that needs education on the matter.

Yeah, these are why I dislike talking to most people.
If you ask someone what the proof is for their thought, they answer "I ... just feel it! That's enough for me."
They are too ignorant to be able to analyse their own fucking mind, and don't understand such simple concepts as social conditioning vs proof.
People are idiots.

However, I can get caught up in pointing out that idiots are idiots, and when they are too idiotic to understand that their arguments are illogical, I then can lose my shit due to an inability to get my point across and then out can come a personal attack (on them being an idiot, of course)

Hmmm ... regarding whether this is more likely on the net -
Yes I would say definitely because when you drive and someone cuts you off, you can have road rage, but when you see someone's face whey they are walking and cutting you off, you are more 'human' to them because you can see their face and can put some humanity to them. So I would say the same applies over the net.
So yea, good point about it being internet specific, OP.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think some people also have a tendency to be underly-sensitive (is that even a word? :confused:). Like the anonymity makes them go crazy. Oh, and logic and debating has no place here. Like all rationality seems to go out the door.

·
Registered
290 Posts
People write really thoughtless and aggressive comments.

Reasons:
1) anonymity - can post without having a username; even with a username, usually you are not tracked and held accountable

Methods:
1) Personal attacks - it's almost like the most insulting comments make you "win" somehow.

Cons:
1) You cannot change a person's mind with a personal attack; or a short message at the bottom of a large article. The flaming at the bottom of articles serves no purpose

Pros:
1) There is sometimes very diverse information and arguments that you would not consider in an article written by one person

People get overly angry as if their post at the bottom of an article is going to change anything or as if going back and forth in insulting is going to change the other person or somehow win the argument for the whole article.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think what you're seeing is actually the result of many different effects. I don't know if it's really about the sensitivity of the individual you are talking to, but it most likely is. And so I'd like to bring up some of the factors I think have influenced the seeming sensitivity you have just described.

One factor that comes to mind, right off the bat, is that in a forum situation, people use threads to communicate about things which they are interested in or emotionally invested in. This is a simple aggravating factor to see. If I put up my opinion on a forum, it is because I cared enough about the opinion to have the want to express it. By attacking it, or unintentionally detracting from it or in any way make it seem false or of little importance, it's interpreted as an attack on my belief, regardless of intent. This is exacerbated by the fact that we are protected by para-anonymity, which I will talk about next.

Anonymity is another thing common to most, if not all, website forums and chats. By wearing a mask, we allow ourselves to participate in social setting in which we wouldn't normally participate, for example, antagonizing behaviour. This is a big draw for trolls. If you saw a troll in real life, you'd punch him or her in the face. But online, you can't. All you can do is argue with them, or ignore them.

The third and last factor I want to bring up is why each type chooses to argue. Whether or not you are a highly opinionated person is probably independent of your MBTI type. Regardless, there are people with strong opinions. Those people often voice their opinions because from their perspective their opinion is either valid or correct. Now whether it is valid for someone, or correct for the same someone, very much depends on MBTI type. Also, the method of argument and the objective of an argument are factors influenced by MBTI type. Let me illustrate:
The last two letters of your MBTI type are called the conflict pair. Very simple to identify conflict pairs. INTJ=TJ, ENTP=TP, ISFP=FP and ENFJ=FJ. Now these conflict pairs indicate everything but the individual's stance on the argument. For example, there are INTJs who are both FOR abortion and AGAINST abortion. So you can take either stance in a two sided debate regardless of type. So lets take a look at what your conflict pair DOES indicate:

FJ- Argument is pertinent to validating ones own opinion. The goal is to advocate for something. The purpose in arguing is not only to convey the meaning of the opinion, but to try to have it respected as a good opinion. The argument for them is over the minute they feel their argument has been acknowledged as an opinion of some relevance.

FP- The argument is a democratic effort. The goal is to understand the stance of everyone involved in the argument. The purpose in arguing is to better understand where everyone else is coming from. The argument is terminated the minute everyone has given input.

TP- The argument is a learning experience. The goal is to perceive all perspectives. The purpose in arguing is to better understand the issue(s). The argument is over as soon as they can discern a logical outcome to the debate.

TJ- The argument is a collaborative decision to be made. The goal is to make the correct or best possible decision. The purpose in arguing is to persuade the others involved that their selection for a decision is correct and should be followed. The argument is over as soon as a decision has been made, unless that decision is unacceptable for the INTJ.

Because of these traits, thinking types are often seen as argumentative. Let me illustrate:
And INTJ lays out complicated battle plans as an attentive INFJ devises an alternative that seems preferable. When the INTJ is finished, the INFJ proposes his new plan. An onlooking ENFP decides that the argument is over because both parties have presented their opinions. The INTJ sees a critical problem with it and rejects it outright. The ENFP now begins arguing with the INTJ that the argument is already over and asks "why are you still arguing? We're all done." But they are not done. A decision has to be made over which strategy to use, they INFJ's or the INTJ's proposal. So the INTJ will simply keep arguing the point. The INFJ, feeling slighted by the INTJs, rejections starts getting personal. The ENFP will gladly defend the INFJ because they are obviously offended whereas the INTJ seems perfectly content while trying to convince the both of them that their plan is not as good as theirs.

Now, I've personally been involved in more confrontations and arguments that followed this exact pattern than I care to count, so I know that it's how it works. The interesting thing I've always observed is that feeling types always wind up asking me why I'm still arguing while there is still a decision to be made. They are more concerned about their feelings than they are with (in reference to the above situation) winning the battle, or the war. Feeling types don't seem to care as much about the outcome of an argument so much as they care about how they feel about the argument itself. And so we see that thinking types are seen as the cause of the argument quite often, yet feeling types are exacerbating our (INTJ) propensity to actually solve a problem rather than just feel good about having an opinion by ignoring the real issues of the debate. So now ask yourself, which types use the internet more? Thinkers, or feelers? Either way, someone's going to be upset. Combine this with a lack of self-restraint due to there being no risk of getting punched in the face, and the fact that everyone online posting their opinions are actually invested in them personally and you have the reason why (I think) everyone is so bitchy online.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,497 Posts
No matter what forum, blog, or major publishing website you enter - anytime there is an invitation for commentary you are going to encounter the many comments that read "sensitive." I have read some comments that I agree and disagree with. But what baffles me is when people allow comments from people they do not agree with to really hit them on a personal level. Enough to enter defensive mode where they begin to form circular arguments, throw petty attacks and insults that are entirely irrelevant to the original discussion. It makes no sense to me. This cannot be avoided. Whether it is a discussion on suicide, religion, race, marriage, abortion, schools, politics, food etc. someone is bound to take a non-personal comment personally and begin with character assassinations that are completely arbitrary and unfounded.

The list continues. When I read such comments from the over sensitive one thing still remains - their inability or lack of interest in discovering the truth behind an issue or idea. If you aren't with them than you must be against them. If you show any sign of questioning their experience this equates to you minimizing their experience which results in their justified attack against you as an individual. I understand that trolls do exist online, and they take pleasure in orchestrating such a mess... Regardless it doesn't answer the question. Why are there so many people online that are too sensitive? And why do they engage with these trolls or people they feel slighted by? Why can't they accept that not everyone shares the same experiences, or views as they do and that it is perfectly okay?

This got me thinking a lot today. What do you guys think? Is the Internet too sensitive? Should you log off the Internet if you are too sensitive? Should you engage with people who trigger you to behave erratically? Should people be allowed to voice their opinions and ideas online through blogs, forums, etc. without being attacked? Do any of you have any experiences with this whether you were the sensitive person or at the receiving end of attacks?
That was a hurtful, insensitive post. I'm offended. :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts

OH MY GOOSHNESS, YES this happens to me EVERY TIME!~ I'M SICK OF IT!~ Ugh, I feel like most people are a bunch of whiney spoiled bratty immature infants with access to a computer.~

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Well the reason there are a lot of sensitive people on the internet is because there are a lot of sensitive people on earth. Also the reason why it seems to be exaggerated on the internet is because it's a place where some people choose to pour out their anger and sensitivity, that's why you see a lot of trolls too.

It is annoying and it's dangerous for sensitive fellows to be hanging out in such areas on the Internet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts