Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are our types caused by nature or nurture, both, a combination, or something else?

Are they things we can change, or that do change over time?

I did a search for nature versus nurture, so apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere or abundantly obvious to everyone, I am new to all this.

·
Registered
583 Posts
According to Jung the psychological type is innate and cannot change over time (if he does, he causes some kind of mental disorder). While the weakest functions are hard to spot in childhood as they aren't well developed yet, the dominant function can be recognised as soon as the child is able to communicate with caregivers (I am not saying it's easy to do that but it's possible). The environment can assist or obstruct the development of the functions and also guarantees intra-type differences. Intra-type differences aren't exclusively due to "nurture" though.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Both Jung and Myers believed that type was largely inborn, and decades of twin studies strongly suggest that genes account for around half (or more) of the kinds of relatively stable personality dimensions measured by the MBTI and Big Five. But the genetics is complicated: an introvert's identical twin brother would probably be an introvert, but they might have two extraverted parents.

The most counterintuitive conclusion that's been drawn from the cumulative data is that how your parents raise you has almost no influence on your basic temperament — e.g., whether you'll end up an INTJ. Identical twins raised in the same household are not significantly more alike (in terms of temperament) than identical twins raised in separate households.

For more, see this post.

·
Registered
INTJ
2,172 Posts
The most counterintuitive conclusion that's been drawn from the cumulative data is that how your parents raise you has almost no influence on your basic temperament — e.g., whether you'll end up an INTJ. Identical twins raised in the same household are not significantly more alike (in terms of temperament) than identical twins raised in separate households.
[/URL]
I agree with this.

I'm an INTJ, my sister is an ESFJ, my other sister is idk what but her personality comes off as textbook narcissistic personality disorder (which is why we're estranged.) Same household, same parents (although they are my half sisters.) From the descriptions of me as a young child (as in before I can personally recall) I was this way. Quiet, observant, fine by myself, soaked knowledge up like a sponge.

I think the way your parents raise you has very little to do with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.