Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously. Have I just not come across the less than above intelligent posters on this site yet? I'm also amazed by the relative friendliness and acceptance here. I understand the topic does invite that coming in. Is the site more tightly monitored than others or is my impression accurate? I only have forum sites like Yahoo! Answers to compare it to I guess, but still. I'm enjoying it so thoroughly. I thank everyone for being here that I may experience your innerworkings...'Cause I don't have enough people in my daily life available to fill my addiction to this kind of information.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Most people get repelled by the technical complexity functions and blabla, try to imagine a normal average person reading about Ti,Ne and other functions.

And about the monitoring, even your PM's get checked up by mods so yeah, tight indeed.

Reactions: Berdudget

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well in the last 8 years of me being a forum surfer I've come to the conclusion that most people that frequent forums and become regulars are of the more intelligent persuasion. Honestly people of average and less than average intelligence, dont choose to spend their time debating and discussing issues and topics online when they could just hang out with their friends or mindlessly stare at facebook. They could easily discuss issues similar with their friends, but they probably dont. For you to be the kind of person that chooses to spend their free time researching a psychological tool, you'd first have to be smart enough to find it's application interesting, then you'd also have to be interested enough in it to ACTUALLY research and discuss it. Therefore, people on this forum are probably more intelligent on average than most.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My initial response was "Hahahahahaha, no."

On second thought, I don't know. How are you defining intelligence here?
You make me laugh. I love it. That's likely a very poignant question. I know that I don't mean more intelligent in the sense that they are more knowledgable on science topics specifically. I suppose maybe I mean intellectually disciplined, able to communicate concepts with just text and desirous of doing so. I mean patient enough to learn the ropes of the subject in question and willing to stand corrected. In truth, I'm not entirely sure how I define it. I just know I don't have so fertile a group of minds interested in at-length discussion of concepts at my disposal IRL. I have a friend here or there, but they're not always available to me when I crave them.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Probably. I've learned quite a bit of new vocabulary here just from random posters. Since I don't learn any new words in most real world conversation, I would definitely say there's something to it. Mr. Xl Vii has it down.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You make me laugh. I love it. That's likely a very poignant question. I know that I don't mean more intelligent in the sense that they are more knowledgable on science topics specifically. I suppose maybe I mean intellectually disciplined, able to communicate concepts with just text and desirous of doing so. I mean patient enough to learn the ropes of the subject in question and willing to stand corrected. In truth, I'm not entirely sure how I define it. I just know I don't have so fertile a group of minds interested in at-length discussion of concepts at my disposal IRL. I have a friend here or there, but they're not always available to me when I crave them.
I completely agree. I have intelligent friends but some of them just don't like to get into anything more than small talk and stay away from any subject even the slightest bit difficult or controversial. Some of them are intelligent, but not so curious. Some, as you said, just aren't available. Here, I haven't come across anyone that seemed anything less than above-average intelligence, but then I hang out in very small circles. I stay away from certain forums so I have no idea what goes on there.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Intelligence tests measure ability to learn, adapt, or function in society.

Ability to learn is impossible to measure without also measuring the other two in some way.

Therefore, IQ test measurements are often a measurement of training, and what is learned, rather than ability.

What IQ tests measure also results in bias, for example, it might not consider knowledge of sports necessary to function in society, however, is that not a way to fit in and be part of the group and therefore adapt and function and survive?

Based on current IQ measurements, members of these forums will certainly be above the average 100 IQ.

It is interesting that the consensus in here is of a more balanced theory, that all are intelligent in their own ways. I like that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts