Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Good question, I'm half-half.
I see them as complete con-artists, fraudulent snakes.

Yet at the same time, I feel I could do the same thing, with complete confidence and faith in my craft.

Hm.

The ones who truly believe it, would surely be N types of some sort - I can imagine anyone getting into it, for money, though.

I separate these people from dream interpreters, though, I believe this can really help people make sense of their lives.

Reactions: Igor

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah, I don't really think Ni doms or auxs would be the most likely to go down that route. I'd say it's probably due more to their experiences convincing them that either a.) they're really psychic, b.) it's a good money con, or c.) they're really helping people. With that in mind, it really opens up to a lot of different functions being likely culprits.

Now as for stereotypes of people who believe their gut reactions to be some mystical innate gift, I'd say perceiving doms as a whole seem the most likely to fall into that pit, in my estimation. But that's just my casual thoughts on the topic.

Reactions: Jewl

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think Ni can attribute to the type of confirmation bias that might lead people to believe that they're psychics. ESFP's might be most vulnerable to that kind of thing though. We tend to have the least control over our inferior function and if that one is Ni, strange things may happen. Ni is a function that is very slow to reach any kind of conclusion on its own, but if used improperly it can lead to devastating results.

It's the same reason that ENTJ's can be nervour wrecks and ENFP's can remember all the latin names for animals, but not their nephew's first name. Our inferior always seems out of reach.
I actually have an uncle who believes himself to be somewhat of a psychic and whom I suspect to be ESFP.

I think most Psychics are con-artists of course, and there's probably some INFJ's out there that believe themselves to be gifted with spiritual power in some way, but my guess is that a lot of the real crackpots may be ESxP's.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It’s a farce. They engage in hot reading aka collecting information about their audience members prior to their shows.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
They are [usually] (NF)'s. ENFJ / INFJ / INFP / ENFP. Possibility INTJ. The customer(s) are usually (SF and/or NF) as well.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
No. Just no. I don't think type has to do with psychics. If psychics do exist, they have been given an unexplained and rare gift that cannot be explained using logic. They would just have the gift. Come on - seeing into the future and predicting actual events without having any experience (conscious or subconscious), nope...that would indeed be akin to magic.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Judgmental title because I do believe that all these things are scams.

But knowing how Ni works, is it possible that some unhealthy strong Ni users really believe they have these kinds of powers. Or is it nutjobs of any type, for different reasons?
I'll agree there for the most part. Nah, although I'd imagine really unhealthy Ni users could delude themselves into this sort of thinking. I've seen a lot of INFPs and ISFPs go in this direction. Personally, my 4 so/sx INFP aunt is a fortune teller, Theresa Caputo (long island medium) is probably an ESFx. I'd imagine you'd have a couple of ESTPs go into the field too mostly because they're able to read people well enough and are gregarious enough to convince people they're psychics.

The only people who I've seen who have actually had semi correct gut feelings or any accurate premonitions/hunches (not in like the psychic medium way obviously, but like realistically) are Si users, and most of the time they can tell you actually why they thought x was going to happen. It is sort of amusing since the power of "intuition" and "hunches about the future" are often attributed to Ni/Ne users.

·
Registered
381 Posts
May be, may be not. A lot of them are not telling the "actual" future, so that could be Ni or Ne. It's all up to what seems more accurate based on how you interpret a person and their life.

·
Registered
5w6 sp/sx | 9w1 sp/sx | 3w4 sp/sx | INTJ | ILI
227 Posts
I think the correlation is probably pretty high. Doesn't mean they're not full of shit, though.

Ni can lead to all sorts of "magical thinking" - it's the polar opposite of Se, which is the most accessible, realistic and grounded way to perceive the world.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
But knowing how Ni works, is it possible that some unhealthy strong Ni users really believe they have these kinds of powers. Or is it nutjobs of any type, for different reasons?
I knew an INFJ (2w1) who was convinced of that sort of New Agey psychic, literally-empathic, heal by ~the power of positive thinking and willpower~ and "energy infusions" crap. It got really annoying really fast. So it does kind of make me want to think xNFJs are prone to those types of beliefs, and to be honest I do kinda feel like the combo of Ni-Ti (xSTP included) can make it seem even weirder just because of the nebulous phrasing they tend to use.

At the same time, once you apply a larger sample size, IMO it's fairly obvious it's not xNFJs or Ni, it's just... wishful thinking, logical fallacies, etc, and any type/function are susceptible to those for their own reasons. To me, the whole "psychic" thing or a person "being a Healer" isn't much different than the fads of essential oils, being an "HSP" ("highly sensitive person"), prayer healing, and other similar things not rooted very well in science*. It's the same wishful thinking in a different costume.

I probably talked about a more broader idea than the one you asked about... So, to be more on-point to your question, I think a fair amount of psychics/mediums are scam artists, but the ones who truly believe in it aren't always much crazier than the people who give themselves up to things like extreme diets or religion or miracle cure-alls, IMO. They're still probably wrong about most of it, and they seem like nutjobs because it is a bit crazy as shit, but so are the mainstream things. The mainstream is just accepted because, well, it's mainstream.

*I think these methods or beliefs can be beneficial for some, but I tend to think they're not beneficial in the way the people who use them think. Like, because I'm agnostic I don't think "prayer healing" is literally God healing, but I think it can help create a network of support and maintain the mental health of the "patient" in some ways (assuming standard medical care is applied alongside).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Psychics, fortune tellers and mediums are not Ni-doms, they are Se-doms or Se-aux' who later in life lose control of their minds to their subconscious because of all the STDs they accumulate throughout their lives.

Ni-doms don't even have the necessary willpower to walk to the kitchen when they're hungry, let alone becoming actively involved with anything that would require them to move about in physical reality.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I agree with OliveBranch. Not all are same. Not all are good or not all of them would tell you the whole truth behind your questions. But there are some psychics that actually help people come out of their problems. My uncle was going through depression, stress after the death of my aunt. He use to talk to, no one, he started skipping his meals, and much more. Then someone told to talk to Martine Voyance. She can talk to him and try him come out of his problems and it even worked for my uncle. He was feeling much better than before.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I'm reading a book called Survival Games: Personality Play by Eve DeLunas, and just came across The Con-Artist.
Check this out:

These players can be masters at convincing others to believe their phoney stories. Con Artist players know how to evoke pity, guilt, or sympathy from others when it is to their own advantage to do so, such as the case of the student who gets herself excused from taking a final exam, or the perfectly healthy adult who manages to collect disability payments.

When confronted with their wrong-doings, Con Artist players will always have a good excuse and promise anything that the other wants to hear. Of course, follow-through is highly unlikely. Con Artist players excel at gaining the confidence of others.

In extreme cases, they may seduce others into entrusting them with money or other valuables, and then disappear without a trace - leaving their innocent and unsuspecting prey shocked and penniless.
I haven't read all of the book, perhaps there's a more fitting game people play, but this one certainly seems dead-on accurate with regards to how psychics/mediums and the like tend to work.

The Con-Artist is a form of the Blackmail game, and the Blackmail game is the SP types preferred game to play.

The book suggests SP types shift into these Blackmail games (and, therefore, the Con-Artist) when they feel a need to be impressive - to either themselves or others.

I can *clearly* see how this would fall perfectly in line with say, an ESTP who wants to be seen as knowledgeable, or someone people should listen to etc - I can envision them carving themselves out one of these kinds of positions in which they can play the Con-Artist game and reap the rewards - stemming from an inner desire to be impressive.

Just had to throw this out there, after I read it, seemed relevant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts