Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mindfulness, meditation, Carpe Diem, The Power of Now. Living in the now is all the rage, and the path to happiness and inner peace according to a lot of self-help books on the market today.

Do people who live in the now live happier than people who live in the clouds?

Are Sensors happier than iNtuitives?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Not necessarily. Though, one thing I've noticed is that my sensor cousin, the ESFP, is tends to be less afraid of death. As if they life for experience, but don't mind if that leads to something negative. That's part of the reason I thought Steve Irwin was an ESFP rather than an ENFP...the way he decided to push forward even at the risk of his life. Atleast in this one video I saw of him xD
But I don't think that a sensor would be happier, because happiness comes from many places. I would say that my happiness comes from my optimism and my 'head in the clouds'-iness since it gives me a look into a brighter future. Even with slight cynism, I'm always optimistic about my own future, and I do attribute that to Ne.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
This is something new.
Usually it would be something offensive about sensors.

I see what you are getting at, with us sensors living more in the moment and getting on with it. It's easy for me not to dwell on emotions, and I can distract myself.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I really can't believe this question is being asked.

Yes, every sensor in the world is happier than every intuitive in the world.

Experiences, personalities, family life, friends, where they are in their life, NONE of that plays into this at ALL.
Calm child, we may all ask questions!

I personally agree that it's down to your life, but temperament does play a part I think. Sensors might find it easier to stay positive.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Experiences, personalities, family life, friends, where they are in their life, NONE of that plays into this at ALL.
I obviously never said that. I'm curious about whether this particular aspect of people's personalities does have a positive affect their happiness, thus I made this thread.

I have my head in the clouds all the time, and am constantly projecting myself into the future. Eckhart Tolle puts a lot of weight on acceptance and observation of the now and as I understand it that is something which sensors are better at than intuitives. If I ask my ISTP boyfriend what he's thinking it's usually related to something happening in the moment, whereas if he asks me the same thing I can usually spit out about 10 different things, most of which are completely unrelated to the present moment. Constant future projection, though sometimes positive, also causes me a lot of anxieties over things which are currently out of my control. My sensor friends seem to be much more calm and content than I am, and they seem to deal with stress much better than I do.
I'm curious if they are happier for it.
I'm happy a lot of the time, but I'm also miserable a lot of the time. My emotions take me on quite the roller coaster, to say the least. Maybe that's an NF thing? I'm not sure. But the sensors I know are more grounded and less emotionally unstable than I am.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Obviously you can't say "yes" or "no" and have it straight across the board for all senors, but in general, actually it does seem my sensor friends are more content than my intuitor friends....

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Am I the only sensor on the damn planet that doesn't seem to live in the moment!? I usually look forward in order to procrastinate. :dry:

I wish I could have my head in the clouds. :angry: (Jealousy burning).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

this :wink:

plus N types are a huge minority, so we have plenty of reasons to be less happy. if you're a sensor then the world will be LOADED with people who understand you and speak your cognitive language.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mindfulness, meditation, Carpe Diem, The Power of Now. Living in the now is all the rage, and the path to happiness and inner peace according to a lot of self-help books on the market today.

Do people who live in the now live happier than people who live in the clouds?

Are Sensors happier than iNtuitives?
What you described sounds specifically about extroverted sensing, which is all about making the most of each moment. From what I've read, Introverted sensing seems more past-oriented that Extroverted Sensing.

Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference—for example, noticing that some food doesn’t taste the same or is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when we see someone who reminds us of someone else. Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience. With introverted Sensing, there is often great attention to detail and getting a clear picture of goals and objectives and what is to happen. There can be a oneness with ageless customs that help sustain civilization and culture and protect what is known and long-lasting, even while what is reliable changes.

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.
I think a lot of happiness can be derived from making the most of each moment but there's more to it. I think mindfulness and being present is something each type (sensing and intuitives alike) can do or not do. It's about having the right kind of awareness and adjusting according to that.
I think that an Extroverted Sensing type can be unhappy if they lack that. They can just go through the motions and indulge in plenty of fun sensual experiences and enjoy them for the moment but fail to get a lasting happiness from them because they are not mindful.

That said, other functions can contribute to happiness as well. It all depends on how you use each function.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It might be a good idea to distinguish between the Artisans and the Guardians on this point. I thinik the SPs seem to be happier than the SJs (at least on my impression), because they can live more in the here and now. Many Guardians are more pessimistic and living in the past, especially since they are more worried about more of life's details (at least according to much of the literature I have read about Guardians).

But is a Guardian less happy than an Intuitor? Who knows? I think it depends more on the individual, how they deal with stress, and their values.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm not a sensor...so I don't really know...but as an intuitive I'm not always unhappy... I get frustrated with myself and I have depressive days... But I'm generally happy and always optimistic...even when it seems like everything is sucking... At least I can get lost in my imagination...lol.

My mom is an ISFJ and I don't think she's any happier than I am in general. She has bad days and depressive times... I think she can be a lot happier in the moment. She gets really excited and can be so happy and content over the smallest things. For example...I can her right now laughing and having a great time as she watches 'The Bachlorette'... Doesn't take much to distract her from whatever is on her mind... But in the big picture of life she has problems and issues she's dealing with that make her unhappy.

I also know an ISTJ and despite the fact that he's focused and balanced and calm.... He's going through health problems and can get really down. Although he doesn't talk about it very much... I envy him because he says he can stare off into space and not think about anything.... That must be nice... I imagine I'd be happier if I could turn my brain off. But I know he's lonely because he's been single for quite some time...don't see how he could be truly happier than me overall. He's got his shit together more than I do...but he still has problems...and I can tell by his tone sometimes that he is down...even if he won't come out and say it.

And the ESFP I know... Always acts like he's happy....but his life is a mess. Every once in a while when he's alone (which is rare) I can see that he is sitting and thinking... He gets really stressed... So the happiness that he shows on the outside...isn't always real. He's admitted that to me before...

Anyway, that's just a few of the sensors in my life... We all have problems... I think we just deal with them differently and maybe sensors find it easier to turn off than intuitives do? Maybe they can find distractions easier? Doesn't sound so bad..... The more I learn to understand them...the better we get along...and the more I appreciate them. We are all just people after all...trying to make it through this life the best way we can with what we've been given to work with....

·
Banned
369 Posts
I think iNtuitives COULD have a higher likelihood of noticing the negative, but I also have read and can see that Sensors, when depressed, don't as easily get themselves out of it. The idea is that Sensors tend to more often deal with the concrete details about the current situation, whereas (according to this one idea) iNtuitives can more easily see that which is not immediate and concrete, which could be a happier situation. However, all of this could be completely wrong and it is not my opinion, it is what I have read. I agree with what someone previously said, that happiness is subjective. Of Course happiness is subjective, but I think that is a valid point to make here, as the person highlighted the fact that what may make an N happy might make an S very unhappy (and vice versa).

I have lately been trying to remind myself not to limit anyone due to what the MBTI says their personality type is. I need to remind myself that we are all human beings, and cannot be confined to the descriptions and analyses of one viewpoint, however valid it often may be.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. It's hopefully obvious that I try hard not to.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Am I the only sensor on the damn planet that doesn't seem to live in the moment!? I usually look forward in order to procrastinate. :dry:

I wish I could have my head in the clouds. :angry: (Jealousy burning).
yeah I though Perceivers lived in the moment??? and judgers live in the past/future
I guess that's what Silverlined was saying about Se and Si, as Kittychris mentioned SJ (Si - less present oriented) vs SP (Se - very present oriented).

Ok, so Extroverted Sensors; do you guys feel that you live deeply in the now? And do you think it makes you happier?

1 - 20 of 158 Posts