Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the title is a bit politically incorrect. But anyway, I do identify myself years ago as somewhat more INFP/INTP. Only recently do I somehow see a shifting towards E.

Well, I guess most of us ENTPs have this social anxiety in our early years (as much as any other eccentric type), and I can honestly say that only in my ENTP state did I feel a certain degree of sustained sense of optimism. I can't exactly explain it. Maybe probably because ENTPs are probably among the rationals that really embrace their geekiness in a considerable extent.

Maybe it's about looking at the glass half-full instead of half-empty.

I thought I was more brooding, contemplative, if not even lonely in my INTP/INFP years. It gets even highlighted when I have my INFP mood swings.

Maybe because an augmented Ne has a form of external validation, whereas Fi and Ti are more of a defensive internal construct of someone's idea of order--always defensive, like a self-created inner shell.

Bragging aside, I'm acquainted to quite a number of INFPs and INTPs and one of the reasons I didn't embrace my "emoness" or "angst" is due to how I see they affect them. Somehow, they see me as the most emotionally detached, if not happy among their rational friends, and I somehow saw that as a personal advocacy to my friends.

It's just that I'm hesitant to impose my ENTP "values" because they can have an ego as big as mine. Though really, I wish they see the fun side of an Ne's ability to explore, and not be constrained by the constant filtering of their Ti.

I do see an INTJ's desire to not connect. Be a total schizoid. that's an INTJ thing. But an INTP? I think there would be a bit of a denial there. An INTP wants to connect to people more than he's willing to admit.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Might be. I was very much more "I" when younger. Now 100% E. It frightens me....

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I grew into my E-ness I think, I was more I as a kid and younger teen, but very E as a very young child.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was very E as a child, but I'm becomming more I every day. I usually test out as just about 50/50. I don't think any type is a "more evolved" version of another type. People's types change as they get older. I used to be an ESTP, and now I'm an ENTP. I'm not a more evolved version of an ESTP, though. I simply changed as I got older. It happens to most of us. Type is fluid. Remember that.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I was very E as a child, but I'm becomming more I every day. I usually test out as just about 50/50. I don't think any type is a "more evolved" version of another type. People's types change as they get older. I used to be an ESTP, and now I'm an ENTP. I'm not a more evolved version of an ESTP, though. I simply changed as I got older. It happens to most of us. Type is fluid. Remember that.
Hmmmm. I think the S and N part is not as fluid as the other, so that seems strange. But perhaps you are somewhere in the middle with these as well? And have benefits of both? I am very much N and I simply dont enjoy the small pleasures that so many people like. I have always been up in the blue. Since toddler age.

But the dynamics of change in type seem rather unexplored and interesting... Who knows...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wasn't extremely S, but it was there, I think, as a small child, up until I was 9 or so. Now, I'm very much an N and show no signs of being an S, ever, other than knowing how to deal with S types. I don't think it's as fluid as the I/E, but it happened for me.

The only reason I know about type change is because my friends and I watched our types change over the years. I think we were typing ourselves in seventh and eight grade. :p

·
Registered
129 Posts
E as a young child, became an I, then late in my teeny years I re-developed my E.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I know the title is a bit politically incorrect. But anyway, I do identify myself years ago as somewhat more INFP/INTP. Only recently do I somehow see a shifting towards E.

Well, I guess most of us ENTPs have this social anxiety in our early years (as much as any other eccentric type), and I can honestly say that only in my ENTP state did I feel a certain degree of sustained sense of optimism. I can't exactly explain it. Maybe probably because ENTPs are probably among the rationals that really embrace their geekiness in a considerable extent.

I thought I was more brooding, contemplative, if not even lonely in my INTP/INFP years. It gets even highlighted when I have my INFP mood swings.

Maybe because an augmented Ne has a form of external validation, whereas Fi and Ti are more of a defensive internal construct of someone's idea of order--always defensive, like a self-created inner shell.

Bragging aside, I'm acquainted to quite a number of INFPs and INTPs and one of the reasons I didn't embrace my "emoness" or "angst" is due to how I see they affect them. Somehow, they see me as the most emotionally detached, if not happy among their rational friends, and I somehow saw that as a personal advocacy to my friends.

It's just that I'm hesitant to impose my ENTP "values" because they can have an ego as big as mine. Though really, I wish they see the fun side of an Ne's ability to explore, and not be constrained by the constant filtering of their Ti.

I do see an INTJ's desire to not connect. Be a total schizoid. that's an INTJ thing. But an INTP? I think there would be a bit of a denial there. An INTP wants to connect to people more than he's willing to admit.
Don't confuse the confidence that comes with (life) experience, with a change in personality type.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've heard of many people getting more E as they get older so that is very possible, although "evolved" implies that you're better sooooo maybe "developed" might be a better word choice, although no matter how you put it it is bound to offend someone XD

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I've heard of many people getting more E as they get older so that is very possible, although "evolved" implies that you're better sooooo maybe "developed" might be a better word choice, although no matter how you put it it is bound to offend someone XD
That's behavioral Extroversion, not MBTI Extroversion. People always mix those 2 up. It annoys the hell out of me. I wish they had used a different word for it, but then again, the best words are introversion and extroversion. It just got nothing to do with behaviour.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That's behavioral Extroversion, not MBTI Extroversion. People always mix those 2 up. It annoys the hell out of me. I wish they had used a different word for it, but then again, the best words are introversion and extroversion. It just got nothing to do with behaviour.
Perhaps you might grace me with an explanation of the difference between the two.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

Or perhaps you're an INFP in a good mood right now.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Perhaps you might grace me with an explanation of the difference between the two.
Behavioral extroversion is when you are basically outgoing and social and whatever else, while extroversion in accordance with the MBTI simply implies that your most dominant function is extroverted.

Extroverted types don't necessarily have to be outgoing and introverted types don't necessarily have to be shy or loners. Becoming more extroverted does not really change one's personality type it's all in the functions + type dynamics and not just the letters.

The Myer's-Briggs test even goes as far as using the term wrong when testing others to find out their type but they misused the term themselves just as they've screwed up a bit with other parts of Carl Jung's work.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
The MBTI is based on the cognitive functions as discovered by Jung. It is all about the brain, not about the person. There are 4 functions, of which each has an introverted and an extroverted variant, in total 8 cognitive functions. Probably you knew this part already.
The brain (thus not you) has a preference as to where to get information. This can be from outside the brain, or from memory. Brains that prefer to focus on processing information from outside, are considered Extroverted, while brains that prefer to focus on processing information from memory, are considered Introverted.

This is based on the main function or also called the first function.

In general when we speak of an extroverted person or introverted person, we talk about behaviour, not about the cognitive functions of the brain.

There is a relation between the 2 ofcourse. The introverted brain processes more information because it compares a lot more of outside information to memory. The extroverted brain does this a lot less. Nobody is 100% introverted or extroverted, so you´re always doing at least a bit of comparing to memory. The result is that (MBTI) introverts avoid too much information too quick. That's why you see there is a relation between MBTI Introversion and behavioral Introversion.

The older you get, the more (life) experience you have and the easier it becomes to deal with new information (there's simply more in your memory your brain can work with.) So over time, people that behave very introverted, find themselves behaving less introverted. But their personality type didn't change. They just got older.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Introverts become more comfortable in extroverted situations when they develop their extroverted functions, as you sequentially develop your 2nd, 3rd and 4th functions as you get older. The inferior extroverted function is what causes you to be worn out when socializing because people are uncomfortable using their inferior function. Inferior Fe is why INTPs don't like attention, and Se is why INTJs like to know what they're going to be doing beforehand.

INTPs start caring about being around other people more as they get older, because Fe stops being as much of a bother. I'm not sure how it is for INTJs, but I would guess that developing Se would cause you to be more open to jumping in without knowing what you're going to be doing before hand.

The reverse is true for extroverts with their introverted inferior functions. (you gain energy from your dominant function and lose it from your inferior). ENTPs start becoming more grounded as they develop Si.

Behavioral extroversion is when you are basically outgoing and social and whatever else, while extroversion in accordance with the MBTI simply implies that your most dominant function is extroverted.
Having a dominant extroverted function is supposed to explain the behavioral extroversion. If you don't have the behavioral extroversion then you don't have a dominant extroverted function, according to the theory. That's why asking behavioral questions can help you to identify which cognitive functions the person uses.

I hear "focus on the functions" all the time on these forums, but the functions were created to explain the behaviors.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

.. But I picked the road to hell paved with introverted intentions~ :wink:

Reactions: JoetheBull

·
Registered
545 Posts
i agree with OP entirely...id say its been more on and off then slowly blooming socially. i just have my antisocial brooding periods. i would say its something that happens less and less with maturity, so to say ive slowly "developed and E" would be very true. i think ive seen posts like this a lot saying other people who test entp have had very shy periods and that a lot of the really social graces develop throughout the 20s for most entps. i think its really all about having the experiences to grow from. computers are a nice way to disconnect. alchohal is a great way to reconnect---in moderation of course...drink responsibly ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Having a dominant extroverted function is supposed to explain the behavioral extroversion. If you don't have the behavioral extroversion then you don't have a dominant extroverted function, according to the theory. That's why asking behavioral questions can help you to identify which cognitive functions the person uses.

I hear "focus on the functions" all the time on these forums, but the functions were created to explain the behaviors.
Because focusing on the functions will allow one to be more accurate. Most people think of extroversion as being outgoing and social. But if I decide that I have no interest in people and prefer to use non human objects satisfy and stimulate my Ne function then i'd be seen as being introverted when in reality i'm not so it's a situation in which using behavior doesn't exactly work out.

at any rate behavioral questiions have their place no doubt but quite frankly tests that focus more on what each function entails is probably likely to have more accuracy. I don't care for the MBTI so much anymore because people can and do easily mistest using it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts