Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd seen it suggested in this is article posted below and it got me thinking... A lot of the heart traids fears and values seem to link up to wanting some form of attention and it almost screams that the person lacked it a lot while growing up. I personally as a 4w3 wasn't neglected but I was seen as second best compared to my perfect sister a lot of the time which sucked.

Personality Types: Chilhood Scenarios for Enneatypes: Law of Three - Enneagram and Myers Briggs

·
Registered
71 Posts
Perhaps... I did went through a rough childhood, physical abuse, emotional abuse and sexual abuse. I wasn't really neglected by my mom herself, but she moved to a new country to find a better life for us and left me with my older sister(ENTP) made my childhood a living nightmare, she was the one with the physical and emotional abuse, the sexual would come from cousins and one of my mom's ex-boyfriends.

Reactions: typethisperson

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I think there's more to it than that, idk. I definitely think there would be some degree of correlation between the heart triad and neglect, but I've met quite a few spoiled heart triad individuals (as well as heart triad individuals that don't fall into either of those two categories) as well so I'm not sure that's always the case, or even the most common case. Also, I've noticed a lot of people who have been neglected/abused as a child end up being sp dom (and often identify as sp/sx) more often than not and Sp is associated with the head triad. I can see your point however, I'd be curious to see if that was really the case.

·
Banned
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I've noticed a lot of people who have been neglected/abused as a child end up being sp dom (and often identify as sp/sx) more often than not and Sp is associated with the head triad.
That's weird. I thought being a sx dom was more linked to abuse.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
That's weird. I thought being a sx dom was more linked to abuse.
Ah really? I suppose your logic makes sense, as sx corresponds with the gut triad which itself correlates with anger and intensity. Sp revolves around security/health, seeing this as the most important aspect of life. Sp core also seems to be relatively private in expression. People who grow up abusive situations seem to gravitate towards sp because of its private, because of the desire to protect themselves from pain and abuse, by extension the motivation towards security, comfort and independence. I could be completely off the mark (As far as I know I've never been abused), but most of the people I know in real life who have that I've spoken to are sp dom (excluding one so dom INFP) and many of the people on this site who I've noted talking about their experiences with abuse from my memory have been sp dom.

*NOTE: if anyone actually has experienced abuse and feels that I am way off the mark PLEASE correct me*

·
Banned
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, for arguments sake. I did suffer abuse and I identify as a sp dom but I just assumed abuse was more linked to being a sx dom, because they're very rare compared to the other instinctual doms and they seem to want to have their own squad that they trust over others.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ah really? I suppose your logic makes sense, as sx corresponds with the gut triad which itself correlates with anger and intensity. Sp revolves around security/health, seeing this as the most important aspect of life. Sp core also seems to be relatively private in expression. People who grow up abusive situations seem to gravitate towards sp because of its private, because of the desire to protect themselves from pain and abuse, by extension the motivation towards security, comfort and independence. I could be completely off the mark (As far as I know I've never been abused), but most of the people I know in real life who have that I've spoken to are sp dom (excluding one so dom INFP) and many of the people on this site who I've noted talking about their experiences with abuse from my memory have been sp dom.

*NOTE: if anyone actually has experienced abuse and feels that I am way off the mark PLEASE correct me*
I also identify as a sp dom, and I think you're right. Other people that I've met in real life that happened to suffer abuse, also tend to be sp dom.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Wait a minute...neglect and abuse aren't quite the same thing. One is a lack of attention and the other is unhealthy attention. I don't think that either correlates to a heart type. A neglected child, for example, could grow up seeking attention or grow up comfortable not having attention and end up a type 5.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
mabye except 6s and 7s often become their types out of being spoilt rotten and 5 is in the same triad as them.
What is your source for this statistic? I can imagine a relationship between type 7 and having been spoiled, but I don't see how being spoiled could lead to type 6.

·
Banned
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is your source for this statistic?
Lol such a 5w6. The Source is in the OP.

I can imagine a relationship between type 7 and having been spoiled, but I don't see how being spoiled could lead to type 6.
Well, 6s are the most common type so they aren't going to be mostly from an abusive home. Think of it in a way that they were muddle-cuddled and had loads of security which made them want to have it all their lives kinda like the typical mummy's boy that still has his laundry done by her.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Interesting post, I read the bit on the four.

Active child vs. Neutral parent
This scenario is thought to produce Enneagram type 4

In this relationship, the child usually tries to grab the attention of an indifferent or absent parent, by expressing himself with increasing intensity, until a response is achieved. The Active child may act in a dramatic, exaggerated manner, attempting to get his message across to the unconcerned caretaker. The Neutral caretaker will typically ignore the child's emotional needs, making the youngster feel frustrated, misunderstood and possibly abandoned. Sometimes the child turns these negative feelings inwardly, believing that they are unlovable and not special enough to deserve attention.

This scenario teaches the Active children that they are different than other children that seem to be getting the support they lack. They want to make themselves heard so they amplify their feelings, resorting to dramatic expressions of their emotions. These children may later become overly sensitive, artistic and theatrical, but also melancholic, self-loathing and depressive.
Hmm.. I recieved lots of unconditional love as child, however I barely saw my dad due to his job and excessive working hours. My mom was somewhat overprotective and very nurturing. Father complex? Nah, I don't think this is the missing link. I figured the four is more about alienation and not fitting in.

Emotional overcompensation later in life for a lack of paternal love in the defining period of character development? There are bound to be kids who grow up without a dad/mom and not everybody will be a heart-triad type.

What about an eight who had an absent dad/more passive dad who becomes an eight because he sees this as weakness? --> I need to be strong, I need to advance in life (basic fear) ??

2,781 Posts
I grew up in a home with DV so there was a lot of neglect and I witnessed violence against my mom. I was not one to seek attention from my parents. I felt more like the parent growing up and I felt like it was my responsibility to protect my mom and my siblings. My mom ended up abandoning the family when I was 16 years old, and after she left, I left home for good. My life has never been about getting attention (I like being in the background doing my own thing) but it has been more about survival for me. I try and live my life to be as self-sufficient as I can. And I am very forceful when it comes to protecting my boundaries (do not cross them unless I asked you to).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts