Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MOTM January 2013
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you get competitive? Inspired by http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/80509-infps-sport.html#post2299842
I don't hear of many INFP's being very competitive. I like to occasionally play chess and seem to get a real thrill off winning. Same goes with a lot of other games like cards and more physical games. I've always been like this. Anybody other competors out there or does all that stuff make you go meh?
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/80509-infps-sport.html#post2299842

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it's in a big group of people i don't really care who wins. If I'm playing against a less experienced friend then i usually let them win becuse i feel bad. But if I'm playing alone against the computer or online against people i don't know i want to win. I also get really competitive against my brother who is better than me at most games, but that makes me want to prove to him I'm not incapable of being awesome. XD I think maybe his extremely competitive nature also brings out mine from deep inside. I also have to note that after I've let my friends win a few times i feel the need to win once, just to show I'm not bad at games. Lol!

·
Registered
917 Posts
well i do wargaming as a hobby but im really not competative, that not saying i don't try to win i do, but i often go for armies with a hugh random factor (goblin fanatics do a lot of damage but their likely to do it to you, skaven weapons tend to blow up catastrophically) or strange selections that seem like fun (my orcs and goblin army doesnt have any orcs and tiher the tough fighters, its all goblins)

I also try strange tactics out of curiosity (particularly in bloodbowl (footballish board game with fantasy races) where ther are a lot of really wierd things to try) and i generally avoid the most common lists (id rather screw up by myself than win with someone elses perfect list) i don't bother with tournaments where everythings competative as i play for fun.

basically the result of a battle/match/skirmish is almost irrelevant to me, the only things i do feel are important having fun and no one cheating

Reactions: firestar17

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yeah I like to win (even though I usually don't). I consider myself competitive in some ways but I don't like to see that at the expense of someone else. I mostly competitive because I like to see the best work being produced, not because I want to be personally better than anyone else. So I like the competition to reside in the work (whatever that work may be) and not to bring competition into the personal level. I HATE it when people try to bring competition to the personal level and then you start to see backstabbing and insecurity and wanting to see another person fail. Competition can be a good thing as it can push people to do better as long as it stays about the work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honestly, sometimes I can get like this:

"I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people."
-Daniel Plainview, "There Will Be Blood"

But not usually.

Mostly only when I'm playing FIFA 12 online!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
When I play any interesting game it seems like an alternate competitive personality shows up and has me playing at my best. Sometimes I get a bit sore if I lose, but I usually don't direct it at the other players. Except for this one time at a tournament...But that was become I lost three rounds of chess in a row:angry:

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Registered
470 Posts
In non-physical games, I am competitive. Mostly because I'm not all that kinesthetically talented, and the sports that I do enjoy are non-competitive like swimming. But card games, board games, video games, I can get pretty competitive, as long as the person I'm playing against and I are on a more-or-less equal skill level. Not an all-consuming sense to compete. But winning is nice. ;D

·
Registered
ENTP 6w7-9w8-3w4 so/sx
798 Posts
I'm competitive no matter what. If I weren't, that'd be one more of my precious few sources of motivation down the drain. :laughing:

That being said, though, I'm only extremely competitive in the things I pride myself in. Namely artistic skill and intelligence (or an extension of such). I hate to be second to anyone. I don't get nasty when it comes to art, but I might get a bit stubborn when it comes to intelligence.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I suck at sports, between poor vision and concentration, I'm hopeless. I just don't really get into sports and than watching surfing, or skating.

Now, shooting pool or board games...apparently, I'm a jerk. On the rare occasion that I win, I will jump up and down like a jackass and say stupid things all in fun, but apparently I semi-annoy someone else. I just learned that recently. That person knows it's just a joke, though. We rarely play games and I win less than half of the time.

@K._ like the "There Will Be Blood" quote. It reminds me of the Saturday Night Live spoof of it and "No Country for Old Men," called "There Will Be Milkshakes for Old Men."

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do any of you get competitive? Inspired by http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/80509-infps-sport.html#post2299842
I don't hear of many INFP's being very competitive. I like to occasionally play chess and seem to get a real thrill off winning. Same goes with a lot of other games like cards and more physical games. I've always been like this. Anybody other competors out there or does all that stuff make you go meh?
http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/80509-infps-sport.html#post2299842
I was a sprint runner through my elementary school years, champion all the way to graduation !!! hell yeah !!

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
1,285 Posts
For some reason, that reminds me of a quote from Seth in a Street Fighter IV OVA - yes, yes, geekmode I know.

"Everyone seeks power, seeks to grow in strength; but this goal is out of reach of ordinary men. The poor seek riches, the ugly, beauty. We compare ourselves to others and seek to cover our own inadequacies to find peace of mind. The mere existence of those who are better than us becomes intolerable. We fight in retaliation!"
I think there are different reasons for being competitive. While I think there is a little of the above in all of us whether we want to admit it or not, I would not call my brand of competitiveness malicious. For me, it's not about being better than other people, per se. Rather, it's about being the best that I can be. Other people become milestones, obstacles that I have to overcome in my singleminded pursuit of perfection. Yet it's not even that. The unique interaction of two human minds working at their fullest, each to overcome the other, is quite unlike any other experience.

I think it is at least in part my competitive nature which drives me to chase after competency in so many things. I find myself wanting to be the best at everything I do, but I'm not sure I even know why. Perhaps it is because the drive towards improvement and learning new things is more enjoyable than anything else. To strive and to grow is to live. As long as there is a goal in mind, there is something to drive you forward. Even when I was young, when being warned about the dangers of perfectionism, I asked: why would anyone aim lower than the top? Even if you never reach it, you still keep going. (The pursuit of the ideal was - and perhaps is - more stimulating to me than the realisation.)

That said, I am not a physical person. I'm horribly inept at most sports. With me, it mostly comes out through video games. I played a certain online shooter competitively for a number of years and was among the best players. Had quite a few experiences with it, some good, some bad. My only major regret is that I can't take much of that forward into the "real world". Though I always like competing, really. The drive to overcome others has been the source of quite a bit of inspiration for me, "necessity is the mother of invention" as it were. However even though I can be a bit of a sore loser I never hold it against the other person, rather against myself for poor performance. It's mostly personal and internal for me - I don't harbour any grudges or negative feelings towards others. I struggle to understand those that do. Competitiveness need not lead to aggression necessarily.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I am only competitive at something I think I'm good at. For example, I'm pretty good at Boggle, so when I play that game, I get really into it and play to win. But I am not very good at Scrabble, for some reason, so I don't care if I lose.

I wonder why that is.... ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I can be mildly competitive when it comes to art and music, though I am not much bothered by loss.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm also very competitive when playing games! I alter into a kind of bull or lion personality and get ashamed of it when the game is finished :unsure: but I HATE defeats.
I have got a younger INTJ brother who maintains my competitiveness automatically; we permanently try to invent better jokes or sayings or correct thoughts mutually...

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
1,285 Posts
I am only competitive at something I think I'm good at. For example, I'm pretty good at Boggle, so when I play that game, I get really into it and play to win. But I am not very good at Scrabble, for some reason, so I don't care if I lose.

I wonder why that is.... ?
I don't know. Possibly you know, or rather perceive, that because you lack talent or aptitude at something then it would be silly to get worked up over it? Or because you're not playing for the sake of competition but rather something else? I sort of know what you mean, in a way.

In that when I am not good at something due to lack of practice, I tend not to care about losing, because I expect to lose. Realistically, what else could happen? Rather, I look at every defeat as an opportunity to learn (which is what you're supposed to do anyway). But if I think of myself being good at something then I can't stand being defeated by lesser beings (/puts on mock haughty voice).

The one thing I dislike about competitiveness is when it stifles creativity. That is, if you're competing in a game that has a specific set of things that are "the optimal" thing to do, whereas my personal preference is to do something totally different. For me the greatest joy is in refining my own, personal style to a level it can be truly competitive; that's why I like open-ended, skill based games. Competition should be fun, too. It shouldn't be a case of either/or... though I do ask myself about that sometimes.

Reactions: ethylester

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm pretty competitive in if things meet two conditions:
1. It's something I care about
2. There can only be a limited amount of people who can "win"

That's why I pretty competitive against my siblings against non-life stuff like Words with Friends, solving a Rubiks cube, board games, video games, etc. I care about it because it's bonding time with my siblings. And only one of us can win. We're all like that. Our monopoly games when we were 8 and 9 lasted 3 or 4 days.

However, we are very supportive of each other in real life. My sister fixed my bike last week. We baby sit each other others kids. In life stuff, we all help each other as best we can because there can be more than one "winner" in Life.

In any situation where everyone can find their own personal win, it's just much more productive and effective to cooperate.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I don't know. Possibly you know, or rather perceive, that because you lack talent or aptitude at something then it would be silly to get worked up over it? Or because you're not playing for the sake of competition but rather something else? I sort of know what you mean, in a way.

In that when I am not good at something due to lack of practice, I tend not to care about losing, because I expect to lose. Realistically, what else could happen? Rather, I look at every defeat as an opportunity to learn (which is what you're supposed to do anyway). But if I think of myself being good at something then I can't stand being defeated by lesser beings (/puts on mock haughty voice).
I was thinking that might be it - being realistic, not letting myself get my hopes up only to be disappointed. Why should I sweat and grieve about losing a one-on-one game of basketball when I absolutely suck at basketball? That's impractical and causes unneeded stress. But if I get beat at Boggle, I will be pretty disappointed in myself and probably demand a rematch. But I wouldn't be mad at the person who beat me, I would just want to keep playing them until I beat them. It's more fun when you 'find your match' at a game with another person instead of playing with someone who isn't very good to begin with. It's stimulating.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.