Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm on a bit of a quest to figure out if there are any other Highly Sensitive INTP's on here. I currently have my profile as INTP, although my T is only slightly higher than my F.

A year ago I read The Highly Sensitive Person, and it made a vast difference in my life. I am very tuned into my environment and very sensitive to smells, sights, pain, etc. I am a "high sensation seeker," however, so I do at times seek out opportunities to 'stimulate' myself - be it through listening to powerful music, riding roller coasters, running into a freezing lake at night, watching thrillers, etc. (Just so long as I can retreat to a peaceful land afterwards.)

I always thought myself to be very "feely," simply in the sense that I am very aware of how people feel, and it is important to me to interact with someone in a way that they will understand. I do make an effort not to offend people, and harmony is important to me as I do not like emotional disruption.

However, I have always felt incredibly frustrated with how different I am from other women (and people in general). Clarification: this is not in the sense of "I wish I was like everyone else." Rather, "I hate that I cannot articulate these thoughts to people and have them understand or be able to converse with me." I have always despised how mushy and shallow and emotional people tend to generally be. It never seems like I feel emotional at times when it seems like most people are, and the only way I know how to comfort someone who is upset is by logically walking through the situation and seeking a solution. I have learned how to comfort people with physical touch or empathetic words, simply because I can read people, but it always is an awkward experience for me.

When I personally experience emotion, it is chaotic and completely drains the life out of me. I probably get upset once or twice a month (or week, depending on my hormones, ha), and when I do I'm in a horrid depression. It's during these "depressions" that I seem more "feely" than humanly possible, and I grow even more upset because I know my feelings are utterly illogical and I can see what I *should* rationally do or feel, but cannot do anything about it until my emotional wave passes.

I am fascinated by art, science, nature, animals, patterns, codes, puzzles, and systems. I want to love people, because I admire people who have a heart for broken people, but I'm a little overwhelmed by human beings. I prefer reading things that intelligent or insightful people have written, or talking with someone about what they think about certain things. I have an easy time talking with kids (I talk to them like they are another adult, not like they are plushy babies), and playing with them, but I do not enjoy being around children or babies when they are upset or fussy or are causing trouble. It seems there is no rubric for dealing with them and that scares me! (the same often applies to adults...haha.)

Anyhow, that's probably enough for now. I guess I am just seeking to find out if there are other INTP's out there who are highly sensitive and/or have a thing for the more creative/artistic sides of the world. (Not that we don't all love the things that INTPs love, but you know what I mean.)

I look forward to reading some responses! And hey, even if you're not at all sensitive, I would love to hear what you think. (Maybe I'm simply an INFP with a lot of emotional problems? :perc2:)

-barefoot mango

·
Registered
INTP
5,121 Posts
I tend to read like the first paragraph of a chunk of text, then jump to the last paragraph for the conclusion.

So I didn't read it all, I'm sorry.

I'll respond by saying that I'm not really emotional but at the same time I really am. But only for the misguided and fanciful tide of love, of all things.

For everyday occurrences I tend to not be that emotional. I said in another thread recently that I do make emotional outburst relating to things that offend my logical moral code, e.g. if someone is a bully then they will ALWAYS be a cunt in my eyes. But I'll quickly end up reconciling the emotions with admissions of the fact that my opinions are actually just... opinions. I mean, you can't necessarily blame the bully for being a bully!

But still, FUCK bullies.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I am most probably a HSP. But rather than seek high sensations I actively try to avoid them as they are too intense.

What I strive for are mild things. Mild foods, mild smells, mild sensations, non-bright environments etc.

I'll always prefer a serene setting over a chaotic/intense one.

·
Banned
802 Posts
1)It never seems like I feel emotional at times when it seems like most people are, and the only way I know how to comfort someone who is upset is by logically walking through the situation and seeking a solution. I have learned how to comfort people with physical touch or empathetic words, simply because I can read people, but it always is an awkward experience for me.

2)When I personally experience emotion, it is chaotic and completely drains the life out of me. I probably get upset once or twice a month (or week, depending on my hormones, ha), and when I do I'm in a horrid depression. It's during these "depressions" that I seem more "feely" than humanly possible, and I grow even more upset because I know my feelings are utterly illogical and I can see what I *should* rationally do or feel, but cannot do anything about it until my emotional wave passes.

3)I am fascinated by art, science, nature, animals, patterns, codes, puzzles, and systems. I prefer reading things that intelligent or insightful people have written, or talking with someone about what they think about certain things.
*I have an easy time talking with kids (I talk to them like they are another adult, not like they are plushy babies), and playing with them, but I do not enjoy being around children or babies when they are upset or fussy or are causing trouble. It seems there is no rubric for dealing with them and that scares me! (the same often applies to adults...haha.)

4)However, I have always felt incredibly frustrated with how different I am from other women (and people in general).

5)Anyhow, that's probably enough for now. I guess I am just seeking to find out if there are other INTP's out there who are highly sensitive and/or have a thing for the more creative/artistic sides of the world. (Not that we don't all love the things that INTPs love, but you know what I mean.)
1)Here this you seem to be better then me. I only once managed to comfort a person and it seems it was accidentally when I decided to "Just do it, damn it!"
The other times... No. Just no. Anything I do makes situation worse and I simply hate when people see 'end of the world' where there is none so I just let others do the comforting. Too awkward for me to manage.

2)Yeah noticed that too. Emotions being chaotic life-sucking mash of potatoes- definitely. Very annoying but doesn't get me upset(most of the times). I don't hate emotions- you can gain from them. Well, it depends if I have time to spend on them. I'm frustrated when I don't but mostly you can do sth, listen to the music or take a walk to clear off your mind. Reading helps a lot. Distraction.

3)Yes. Animals nah but most of this I can at some extent rely to. I study on the Academy of Fine Arts. Only I'm not sure about the extent here.
I like to talk to people about their opinions and gather information but I hate when they misinterpret what they know so I'm rather peaky with who I talk to. Of course I get people to talk when they seem like they need someone to talk to and try to be patient-Fe, what can you do...
*Definitely not me. I mean playing and treating them like adults, sure. They are interesting and I like observing them but they need people to talk about ponies as if those are most important things and I say pass. Not my cup of tea. I would just destroy their world with rationalizing and analyzing :p

4)Yeah I learned to embrace it at some point. When my sis tells me 'You are inhumane' I simply thank her for the compliment:p

5) I don't know if I'm highly sensitive but a lot of INTPs get into creativity, art and so on. From what I heard at least. It's just sharing the way you see the world that is my point in all this. Highly sensitive? I don't think so but who knows? ;)

Reactions: barefoot mango

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm now considered an adult - however growing up there was definitely a stronger F/T balance. So I can sympathise with INFP's to an extent. Being offended? I believe what truly upsets an INTP more than anything is truth being misrepresented, really. That absolutely strikes an emotional chord.

I've grown up as the artistic type, but developed as the technical type. I feel capable with fine art, but doing thing purely visual activities doesn't satisfy me nearly as much as solving a problem, hence my position as a 'design engineer' (of sorts).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not really emotional but at the same time I really am. But only for the misguided and fanciful tide of love, of all things.

...I do make emotional outburst relating to things that offend my logical moral code.....But I'll quickly end up reconciling the emotions with admissions of the fact that my opinions are actually just... opinions. I mean, you can't necessarily blame the bully for being a bully!

But still, FUCK bullies.
Yep. I resonate with all of this.

The fanciful tide of love. Oh goodness, yes. Haha, when I first fell in love with my now-husband it was the most tumultuous experience of my life. It was when we were simply friends that I "fell in love" (not really sure how to define such a thing), and it involved weeks of working through my feelings logically... I eventually concluded that I could never completely rationalize all of my feelings, so they had to be dealt with. That then involved bringing my feelings to the surface, which was the most difficult thing I've ever done but also the most rewarding! ;) Interesting point in my life but well worth all of the emotions.

And I absolutely agree with you about the moral code thing, and with the quick reconciliation. It's like I can very easily stand against something I think is wrong, and argue my position in a way that is pretty convincing, but I can just as easily explain why it happens and why we can't necessarily change it.

Oh, the marvelous pairing of emotion and logic >.<

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to add - in case you're curious, I score 23/24 on the HSP test; the only box I don't tick is the one regarding violent movies/tv shows. I'm interested to know what others get.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am most probably a HSP. But rather than seek high sensations I actively try to avoid them as they are too intense.

What I strive for are mild things. Mild foods, mild smells, mild sensations, non-bright environments etc.

I'll always prefer a serene setting over a chaotic/intense one.
If you think you're highly sensitive, you probably are. But to understand it more fully, take the Highly Sensitive Person test (I can't attach links yet since I'm a baby on this forum, but Google it and use the one at hsperson.com).

It's healthy and normal for a HSP to only seek mild senses/avoid intense ones. I personally think it's much better for sensitive people (high sensation-seeking can be very disruptive even if you enjoy it), since what you enjoy may be milder to society but in reality is just as stimulating as "normal" things are to most people.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Didn't read any of the thread but I'll reply..

:raises hand:

HSP - guilty as charged!

Highly sensitive to colors, tastes, smells, stimuli. Nothing escapes my notice. Nothing. It's exhausting just being awake :hampster:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1)Here this you seem to be better then me. I only once managed to comfort a person and it seems it was accidentally when I decided to "Just do it, damn it!"
The other times... No. Just no. Anything I do makes situation worse and I simply hate when people see 'end of the world' where there is none so I just let others do the comforting. Too awkward for me to manage.

2)Yeah noticed that too. Emotions being chaotic life-sucking mash of potatoes- definitely. Very annoying but doesn't get me upset(most of the times). I don't hate emotions- you can gain from them. Well, it depends if I have time to spend on them. I'm frustrated when I don't but mostly you can do sth, listen to the music or take a walk to clear off your mind. Reading helps a lot. Distraction.

3)Yes. Animals nah but most of this I can at some extent rely to. I study on the Academy of Fine Arts. Only I'm not sure about the extent here.
I like to talk to people about their opinions and gather information but I hate when they misinterpret what they know so I'm rather peaky with who I talk to. Of course I get people to talk when they seem like they need someone to talk to and try to be patient-Fe, what can you do...
*Definitely not me. I mean playing and treating them like adults, sure. They are interesting and I like observing them but they need people to talk about ponies as if those are most important things and I say pass. Not my cup of tea. I would just destroy their world with rationalizing and analyzing :p

4)Yeah I learned to embrace it at some point. When my sis tells me 'You are inhumane' I simply thank her for the compliment:p

5) I don't know if I'm highly sensitive but a lot of INTPs get into creativity, art and so on. From what I heard at least. It's just sharing the way you see the world that is my point in all this. Highly sensitive? I don't think so but who knows? ;)
Haha, I enjoyed reading this. Good to know there are others on the same page. in response to just a few things-

1) Honestly, the only reason I'm decent at comforting people (for an INTP, lol) is because I had two emotionally sensitive roommates in college who were wonderful comforters. From them I learned most of what I do in order to comfort people, and it seems to work pretty well. :glee: But I agree with you that's it's incredibly awkward, and really I only step in if there isn't a comforting person around!

2) "I don't hate emotions - you can gain from them." Good reminder, thank you. I've got a ways to go on this one but I do want to get better at not hating them. :)

3) "I like observing [kids] but they need people to talk about ponies......" I know what you mean. My husband and I talk about this all the time: kids are smarter than people think, and if you raise your kid treating them like they aren't smart, they eventually will behave less intelligently than they could be. Not saying that kids can think as adults can, but I've found that asking kids questions about deep/real things can be quite interesting. (Their imaginative worlds often translate to very real-life issues as well). The thing I remember disliking about being a kid was how adults spoke to me. All I ever wanted to say was, "do you think I'm dumb?!" I won't go on and on here but I do think society needs to change the way we interact with children. (And elderly people, but that's another story.) Needless to say, I encourage you to ask kids what they think about more complex things in life. You may find it more interesting than you expected. :)

Reactions: JustMe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I am an hsp. Also, your post is.... disjointed. So I'm not sure what else to say in response.
Thank you for noting this. Forgive my scatterbrained nature, I tend to say a lot of disjointed things. ADHD doesn't always do the greatest things to my thinking processes. ;)

Your answer was sufficient; you didn't miss anything. But I also put this post out there because I'm so borderline T/F, and I'm interested in knowing what highly sensitive NT's experience and how they operate. (Versus the highly sensitive INFP or INFJ.) I've collected data from plenty of sources but figured it would be interesting to start this thread specifically targeting what I've been researching.

I suppose how I should have ended my post was with questions:
1. How does high sensitivity create differences in you from most other INTPs?
2. What are things that you enjoy/dislike that perhaps are unique due to your high sensitivity?
3. What difficulties do you experience in day-to-day life?
4. How does high sensitivity affect your thinking process?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
1. How does high sensitivity create differences in you from most other INTPs?
2. What are things that you enjoy/dislike that perhaps are unique due to your high sensitivity?
3. What difficulties do you experience in day-to-day life?
4. How does high sensitivity affect your thinking process?
1. That's really impossible for me to answer. Intps are rare anyway plus it's hard to know exactly what someone else feels vs what I feel.
2. I honestly can't say I enjoy anything about it. It mostly just brings me pain. Bright lights, loud noises, crowds, overwhelming emotions. There isn't really anything enjoyable about excess. Food is good. Tons of food will make you throw up. Same thing. It's just too much.
3. Nothing really related to hsp.
4. It doesn't. It's mostly just physical and emotional.

·
Registered
159 Posts
High sensitivity can be attributed to being introverted (in general). Looking at all of the introverted types I would say INTPs would most likely not rank highest on high sensitivity in comparisson to other introverted types because: tendancy to withdrawl, detached etc.
However, comparing myself to other people in real life I am definetely more sensitive (other people: predominantly extroverts).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
No intps cant be sensitive.

Jk lol

·
MOTM August 2015
1,173 Posts
I read the whole first post weeeellllll i kinda skimmed a little but that's probably the best you'll get from anyone in this subforum apparently and I think you sound like an INTP. I relate to a lot of what you said. I'm interested in creative pastimes like music (I've been playing the electric guitar for ten years) and drawing (which I'm kind of meh at), as well as graphic design, writing a bit, and art in general. I also feel like, despite definitely being a thinking type, my emotions are still very strong and I value them (though they're usually a pain and just make me miserable and angry at everyone and the world). Just not as much as I value logic. I love logic.

I don't relate at all to the "sensation seeker" stuff, however. That's more sensing than feeling. Sensing is probably the function I relate to least, especially extroverted sensing.

EDIT: I think I didn't read it closely enough. Oops.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just took the HSP test and... I'm borderline. One answer short of being an HSP, but since it's not an exact science, I guess I qualify at least in certain situations. The biggest negative effect in my life is a dislike of crowds, and the older I get the worse that gets. I also dislike very loud noises, so while I like music I'll avoid loud concerts. The biggest positive effect, I suppose, is the ability to notice and appreciate subtleties in wine, food, and to some extent art and music. For these latter things, though, I don't know whether I'd call it being sensitive or not. I just seem to find that little things that "don't quite fit" scream at me, not in an unpleasant way but definitely making themselves known. For example, an instrument slightly out of tune or off beat, or a feature in a building that doesn't fit with the overall architecture, or just wasn't built right. Now, how much of this is being HSP vs. being INTP I don't know. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I get where you are coming from. I have the very same feeling in social situations. Dating especially. So many people seem completely shallow and uninteresting to me. Soemtimes I am still surprised by how little certain people think or sense, I mean really sense. I am not talking about thinking what are you going to make for dinner or looking leftr and right when crossing road. I mean real, deep contempaltion and real sensing when you consciously force all your sense open and drink the world. I often find myself moved to tears by music or art which other people can't seem to apretiate fully and when they get upset over some marginality and I do not, they call me "cold". So to wrap it up. Yes I defintiely think that INTP people can be highly sensitive.

Reactions: Tom INTP
1 - 20 of 39 Posts