Personality Cafe banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts
I used to play WAY more video games than I do now, but it's not my fault. The games I like just aren't being made anymore.

I used to play those point-and-click adventure games religiously; Sierra and LucasArts are somewhat tied for creating excellent masterpieces (Sierra's HeroQuest/Quest for Glory series was excellent adventure/RPG, Sierra's Dynamix department did 'Rise of the Dragon' which was the closest we got to a Blade Runner game until the one in the 90's from Westwood; 90's LucasArt's has my heart forever and ever for Sam & Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle).

Also, old school RPGs. Ultima, Wasteland, Bard's Tale; games that were absolutely ridiculously immense that had tons of things that had nothing to do with anything in the game; they were just there to be there. Thankfully Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) hit my "exploring RPG" button nicely; Morrowind/Oblivion both annoyed me because of the first-person real-time combat.

Both of these game genres tended to emphasize story and interaction hard over anything else; yes, over graphics but that's easy then since we were limited to pixels and such. I've read comments recently of people complaining about how ugly Bioware's Dragon Age was. While that game was many things and it wasn't super-duper photo perfect, but I'm not sure if I would call it 'ugly'.

My main problem is I'm not really interested in a lot of stuff that's mainstream now. I'm so tired of FPS games; I've been playing them since about 1992 when I first played the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D. Yeah, that's 18 years now. So, excuse me if I'm not that excited about the newest Haro iteration or that Call of Doody has another sequel out. The problem is that the genre is taking over *everything*.

And I wish they would stop taking game I enjoyed (aforementioned Dragon Age) and then take out the stuff I like for the sequel and try to tell me it's a GOOD thing. "We're making it faster, and quicker and without so much RPG elements!" Damnit.

I'm also not much of a social gamer, preferring to play alone or with a small group of RL friends. I try to play MMOs these days, but typically end up solo'ng when being solo isn't really the point. Thankfully, more companies are resisting forcing people to group and allowing solo or small-groups to be viable instead of needing full groups or raids for everything.

Nowadays, the games I like best are open-world free-roam action-adventure sort of things (wow, that's a lot of hyphens). Such as inFAMOUS, Prototype, Red Dead Redemption, Okami, Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2, Primal, etc. The sort of game where you can just wander, explore, poke around and the like. It's much like how the RPGs used to be, I think, I just wish the worlds got developed more.

Play none, own none. I'm older than most of you though and didn't grow up with games and computers, or cable tv, or VCRS/DVDs, or ... excuse me my nurse is telling me she needs to change my adult diaper.

Make sure you smack her rear and tell her how good she looks. Women like that.

Play none, own none. I'm older than most of you though and didn't grow up with games and computers, or cable tv, or VCRS/DVDs, or ... excuse me my nurse is telling me she needs to change my adult diaper.
I don't really play any either. I did grow up with all the electronic games and goodies, but I'm weird, and I have more in common with guys in their 40's-60's than my own damn generation. It makes relating to people my age damn near impossible :frustrating:. Don't blame me, I voted for Reagan.

I'm not very good at video games. My family won't let me play with them :( I did play Call of Duty once, though! And I killed a whole bunch of people! >:D

But I'd much rather watch other people play than play myself. It's more fun.

Ugh. I wish I could play more games. My parents would never let me get games either.
Yet I had a Wii at my house the whole damn summer and didn't play at all (except that one single day where I sat on my ass for seven hours straight playing Eternal Darkness). Wtf??

I always relegate myself to watching though I'd rather be participating. Though I think my motivations are somewhat twisted.

I quite like video games. I played alot as a kid mario , fighting racing car type games. Even though I don't play them much now I still enjoy them.

Used to play MMOs when i was a bit younger, but then one day i thought.. "well, it's been three years and everyone i know has quit playing. soo.. what am i still doing here?" Also, the grinding and raiding was never really my thing. I used to slack around just trolling about with friends a lot, and scamming in-game money from kiddies. That, was fun... yeah, in a sick twisted kind of way.

I remember playing and loving point-and-click adventure games ever since i was three, my first point-and-click adventure was "freddy fish" and then, "putt putt". =D Afterwards, i got into online gaming for a bit. Wasn't very satisfying in terms of game enjoyment though I've met some of my closest friends from online-gaming. For the past few years, I've been.. living in the "real world" and made some good progress in terms of getting things done. The downside.. oh man there's always a downside to everything! ~ is that i've lost touch with my creativity. Recently, I've decided to get in touch with my creativity again, switching from biology class to art class for example. Ofcourse, I also went back to playing video games.. my first love. Ah, the nostalgia of sitting next to my older brother while we took turns playing "Heroes of Might and Magic" or the very first time I played FF7 on my own. It all came back, and I'm not about to let it go so easily now.

Somehow, i figured since i'd be solo-ing in mmo games there would be little to no point in going into MMOs anyway. It all seems quite dead... the whole MMO world.. to me. So, I'd rather play single-player games. These days, I play console games like SMT: Persona 2 and Suikoden II on the PSP. Sadly, i realize that i'm no longer *hooked* on games.. that is, i would either (a)get distracted by reading a book or (b) only after playing for an hour or so, putting the psp down.

In short, yes i still love video games but mostly the old ones and not really into the popular ones these days.

Shall I say MineCraft?

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.