Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be an ENTP after all. After being suggested not to take tests but to read up on Type Cognitive Functions, I have come to the conclusion that I might be an ENTP but I have a few questions for you guys.

Are all of you extroverts?
Are all of you great conversationalists and are social?
Are you more comfortable online or in person? Do you have a different persona in these two different situations?
Do you guys have a lot of friends?
Do any of you guys think you are a little socially awkward?

You get the drift.

I am not an extrovert at all but I am more friendly and less emotionally detached than most INTPs. (Low Ti? High Fe? Ne > Ti?) I don't know. So, help me out if you can.

INTP Description: [INTP] INTP: A Jungian Cognitive Function Analysis
ENTP Description: [ENTP] ENTP: A Jungian Cognitive Function Analysis

·
Registered
721 Posts
By definition, in order to be an ENTP you have to be an extrovert. But people are extroverts to different extremes. For example, I usually keep to myself and am perfectly happy sitting in a room full of people by myself daydreaming. I don't go out of my way to socialize and can sometimes stay alone at home for several days before getting the itch to go out. I thought I was an INTP for a long time. I am an extrovert, though. When I do engage in large groups I get really energized by interacting with the people, which is a classic sign of an extrovert. I also feel the need to share my cool thoughts and ideas, as opposed to an INTP who's usually happy just having thought of them and doesn't NEED to share them. To me, there's no point in coming up with cool stuff if I don't share it. Except for my daydreams. Those are mine. People would think I was crazy if I shared those...

So you HAVE to be an extrovert to be an ENTP, but you don't have to be a strongly expressed extrovert.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I used to believe that as well but @LiquidLight has something else to say. It makes sense, too.

Most internet descriptions are stereotypes, or based on social roles or personas and the like. More behavioral stereotypes, but with personality what we are really talking about is your underlying psychology, not how you act at a bar or in class or around your family. Those are all just indicators of how you've been raised, and other environmental issues, rarely does that relate to type. If you read Psychological Types you will never hear Jung (or any Jungian analyst) say such-and-such types are shy or not outgoing. Those are cultural stereotypes that people have built into MBTI and other theories (Big 5 doesn't even recognize introversion, it only has varying degrees of Extraversion).

ENTPs are first and foremost defined by their Extraverted Intuition. Meaning, not only do they reject Sensation (the physicality of the world) in favor of possibilities this is their defining characteristic. It is the Extraverted Intuitive who can sniff out what the next trend will be, or if there is a story to be dug up, or what an athlete's potential might be and the key here is WITHOUT having any physical evidence to back it up. The Extraverted Intuitive might say "seems like its going to rain tomorrow," even if the sky today is perfectly blue (and be right!). It's the difference between when someone says "I smell at rat," in the sense of something is amiss, which points to intuition, versus "I smell a rat," in the case of, it literally smells like a rodent here (which is Sensation).
Honestly I stay away from tests. Because many of them aren't written very well, or you're never quite sure of what they're measuring, and more importantly, the result of the test is only as good as you are self-aware. This is a problem, because in order to have a good working knowledge of your psyche it means exposing yourself to aspects of your psychology for which you were unaware (this is a problem with many of these persona based tests. They only confirm something you already thought about yourself, but Jung was more interested in the total person, not just who they are consciously, but who they try not to be as well. Its putting the two together that gives us a clearer picture as to what makes people tick, not how they interact at a party or if they are drained by people).

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Technically, no. If you're an ENTP, you're not introverted. However, there are most certainly many ENTPs who can seem introverted. One of my personal examples is when I'm in a room with crowded people, if I'm not interested in any of the conversations, I have no qualms about just daydreaming in a corner by myself. That's one of the funny things about Ne. It doesn't always need people to be stimulated...

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I might be an ENTP after all. After being suggested not to take tests but to read up on Type Cognitive Functions, I have come to the conclusion that I might be an ENTP but I have a few questions for you guys.

Are all of you extroverts?
Are all of you great conversationalists and are social?
Are you more comfortable online or in person? Do you have a different persona in these two different situations?
Do you guys have a lot of friends?
Do any of you guys think you are a little socially awkward?

You get the drift.

I am not an extrovert at all but I am more friendly and less emotionally detached than most INTPs. (Low Ti? High Fe? Ne > Ti?) I don't know. So, help me out if you can.

INTP Description: [INTP] INTP: A Jungian Cognitive Function Analysis
ENTP Description: [ENTP] ENTP: A Jungian Cognitive Function Analysis
Of those two descriptions, ENTP resonates with me more.. especially the stuff about the young inferior Si not understanding the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. "But my new ideas will make it so much better!!".. And the Ne burnout leading to becoming risk-adverse. The INTP descriptions sound like exaggerations of my personality by comparison.

But it's hard to call myself an extrovert. But yes, I do feel a need to share my ideas.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of those two descriptions, ENTP resonates with me more.. especially the stuff about the young inferior Si not understanding the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. "But my new ideas will make it so much better!!".. And the Ne burnout leading to becoming risk-adverse. The INTP descriptions sound like exaggerations of my personality by comparison.

But it's hard to call myself an extrovert. But yes, I do feel a need to share my ideas.
This pretty much describes my dilemma.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
This pretty much describes my dilemma.
Also the description of tertiary Fe in the ENTP profile sounds more like me than the inferior Fe in the INTP profile (which sounds like an exaggerated version of what I'm like). But then in other profiles, the inferior Fe description really resonates.

It seems more like I can switch back and forth between the two types

·
Registered
137 Posts
@Ishan Jalan I don't care what anyone tells me or us, there in fact are introverted ENTPs, I tried starting this exact thread a while back and just got trolled until I gave up on it. But I am here to tell you there is such a thing. People can say whatever they want but here I am.

If you take a cognitive function approach to this then it seems to make a lot more sense. Let's break it down.
ENTP these letters just play off of each other to tell you a lot more that four letters should tell you. P means that your perceiving function is extroverted and E means that your extroverted function is your dominant one. That translates to Ne being your dominant function and T is your secondary function that balances out the dominant so it must be introverted. So Ne>Ti is all that ENTP means, Now you can take that and extrapolate to say that your next function is extroverted then introverted. You then get Ne>Ti>Fe>Si some people extrapolate more and get to Ne>Ti>Fe>Si>Ni>Te>Fi>Se but that gets into shadow functions and whatnot and I'm not here for that.

Ne tends to be a bossy function, especially when it is your dominant function. It uses every other function it can to get what it wants, which is more data to analyze. The Ne>Ti axis is a very unique one, it can filter through so many possibilities, run some logic on it, and out pops only the plausible and probable possibilities. It can do this with remarkable speed, to the extent that you don't even know it is happening.

Now, say you are examining objects, all you are doing is using Ne to gather as much data as possible, Ti to leave only relevant data, and Si to see if it is familiar to you in anyway.
Examine people though, now you have to account for human behavior and others emotions, This is where Fe comes in. Again, Ne looks at the situation and possibilities, Fe then takes into account the emotions of the person you are looking at, and Ti spits out the most probable or plausible possibility.

No matter how this works Ti is used almost as much as Ne, so now describe to me what the dominant function is. The most used function? That is a close call. Ne seems to use Ti whenever it is used.

On top of all of this, I have been told that the ENTP is the most introverted of all extroverts, meaning they tend to keep to themselves the most compared to other extroverts, we stay in our heads because of the capabilities, I can think a lot faster than I can talk. That doesn't mean I don't like to talk and socialize, but I sure as hell can get through a problem it about 1/4 the time if I just do it in my head as opposed to writing it out.

Is there such thing as an introverted ENTP? You won't find many who believe it, and fewer introverted ENTPs. But I am here to tell you they do exist. I mean, here I am.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Of course ENTPs can be introverted since every functions affect the balance. And so-called "shadow" functions are systematically more determining than the third and fourth. Actually the two dominant shadow functions are the real third and fourth.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Everyone's right AGAIN. I mean technically MBTI is really just talking about whether your cognitive functions are introvert or extrovert in focus. I'd say that both @IDontThinkSo and @Startic both have very valid point on the matter from a technical standing.

On the flip side though extroversion is a dominant trait in ENTPs. I've seen ENTPs in the past who have thought there were introverted, and were convinced that they were some MBTI freak for a long time ... only to have some life altering event cause an epiphany one day and make them realize that they just had severe social anxiety because they were so different from everyone around them and didn't know how to handle it, and that they didn't need those defense mechanisms anymore because they finally knew how friggin spectacular they were capable of being. Hell I felt like that for a while myself (although I shed that skin earlier than most). At that moment I see those "introverted ENTPs" become extroverts through and through.

I actually feel the worst for the ENTPs who are in the socially awkward stage .. and know they need to get out of it into true, FULL, basking in the extroversion.... but can't manage to coalesce an event that pushes them over that threshold . That's a suicide attempt waiting to happen.

When it all comes down to it though isn't being an introvert/extrovert really just about where you recharge your batteries most efficiently. I mean I'm an extreme extrovert, but I'm capable of being by myself for long periods of time ... and I even have ways of recharging during that time. Of coarse when I get into a crowd, or in front of a crowd .... OMG let me tell you when I walk into a club full of 1,000 people, and the music is kicking HARD, and I walk into the middle of the dance floor or get up onto one of the stages I just lift my arms for a second before I start dancing. The energy of the masses just flows over me. I soak it in. I feel like their energy feeds me. Talk about basking in the ebb and flow of life force.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Of course ENTPs can be introverted since every functions affect the balance. And so-called "shadow" functions are systematically more determining than the third and fourth. Actually the two dominant shadow functions are the real third and fourth.
Im very interested, can you please explain how is that true? and where did you get that information?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
ENTP and ENTJ are the most introverted extraverts. Extraverted Intuitive with Introverted Thinking tendencies for the ENTP (Ne to Ti) and Extraverted Thinking with Introverted Intuition for the ENTJ (Ni to Te.)

While introversion is not the area where ENTP's get energy, an ENTx in the fold displays a high level of introverted tendencies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts