Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you listen 99% of hip hop it's either full of braggadacio misoginy, or humble, earthy (yet repetitive) tales about poverty working class life. Its a pretty formulaic genre for the most part. They all seem to be 8s, 9s, 6s, 7s, a few 5s, and one enneagram 3. You never hear a rapper come out and spill his guts out about envy, longing and shame; rap's virile, cliqueish image doesn't seem like something that would appeal to a 4 at all.

Typical topics

E8 - Bitches, money and keeping the trap in check

E9 - Smoking weed and chilling

E6 - Life, emotions, society and relationships; occasional contradictory bragging

E7 - Whatever comes to their mind

E5 - Storytelling/showing off their lyricism

E3 - Drake dwells on past relationships alot, appeals to women, and comes up with trendy twitter hashtags

·
Banned
710 Posts
If you listen 99% of hip hop it's either full of braggadacio misoginy, or humble, earthy (yet repetitive) tales about poverty working class life. Its a pretty formulaic genre for the most part. They all seem to be 8s, 9s, 6s, 7s, a few 5s, and one enneagram 3. You never hear a rapper come out and spill his guts out about envy, longing and shame; rap's virile, cliqueish image doesn't seem like something that would appeal to a 4 at all.

Typical topics

E8 - Bitches, money and keeping the trap in check

E9 - Smoking weed and chilling

E6 - Life, emotions, society and relationships; occasional contradictory bragging

E7 - Whatever comes to their mind

E5 - Storytelling/showing off their lyricism

E3 - Drake dwells on past relationships alot, appeals to women, and comes up with trendy twitter hashtags
First thought that came to me was this guy, Slug from Atmosphere:

I thought of him because my sister who is an E4 used to be in love with his music. That being said, he seems more like a CP 6 now that I actually listen to his lyrics. I'm thinking probably a 4w3 - fixer though probably.

I think for popular rappers, the most you would find is a 4-fix, I honestly can't think of any real 4's off the top of my head. Maybe some of the more "underground" rappers? But then, there are still lots of 5's and 8's etc. (Immortal technique for example.) Perhaps some kind of indie rocker 4's might "rap" occasionally, but I don't know if that counts.

This is tough but, let me turn it around and ask you an equally challenging question: any enneagram 2 rappers out there? :wink:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@thwoomp

Most hip hop artists I've assumed to be 4s (some of them very convincing in their lyrics and subject matter) turn out to be 4-fixed 9s. Frank Ocean and The Weeknd for example.

4-fixed Six rappers generally don't fool me. Their lyrics have more of an anger or revenge aspect to them (disintegration to 3) than most 4 lyrics, which tend to be romantic and brooding (disintegration to 2). Six rappers speak from a position of superiority (even if subtle), while Four artists tend to speak from a position of inferiority.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@thwoomp

This is tough but, let me turn it around and ask you an equally challenging question: any enneagram 2 rappers out there?
i think there's an off-chance Drake might be 2w3 instead of 3w2. Definitely the only image-triad rapper I can think of atm. He's Fe-crazy and other rappers have described him as highly generous.

@Boss what do you think?

83 Posts
I don't feel confident typing, I'm new to the enneagram. What do you think of P.O.S?

He hits me as a 4. Feeling different to the core, still not wanting to feel alone? Isn't that the jam of the Individualist?

And maybe the 2's are making beats for their rapper friends to flow on? :tongue:

@thwoomp
Most hip hop artists I've assumed to be 4s (some of them very convincing in their lyrics and subject matter) turn out to be 4-fixed 9s.
4-fixed Six rappers generally don't fool me. Their lyrics have more of an anger or revenge aspect to them (disintegration to 3) than most 4 lyrics, which tend to be romantic and brooding (disintegration to 2). Six rappers speak from a position of superiority (even if subtle), while Four artists tend to speak from a position of inferiority.
Well that makes sense. So would you type P.O.S as a 6 too? Your description of romanticism reminded me of Cecil Otter. All I have is hunches, so please feel free to shed some wisdom.

·
MOTM November 2013
2,702 Posts

·
Banned
710 Posts
@thwoomp

i think there's an off-chance Drake might be 2w3 instead of 3w2. Definitely the only image-triad rapper I can think of atm. He's Fe-crazy and other rappers have described him as highly generous.
Interesting thought. I would still say 3w2, just with a very strong 2 wing. Maybe also a 9-fix in there as well? He does seem very generous but at the core of it, to me, it comes across as being more self-serving than the generosity of a 2.

I'm inclined to agree with @concerningyourcurtains that there are probably some producers who could be 2's. I'm not sure who exactly, but it seems like it could fit.

@Boss Yeah I agree with Lupe as a 7. He is intellectual but not like a 5; he seems more "spread out" like a 7, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know if this counts.... she's not a rapper, but she made a rap version of this song... sorta.

Also, 4 is just a guess :p

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
@thwoomp

I don't quite type people by their lyrics per se, but this song had some super strong core 7 themes. I enjoyed it. ;) If I were a rapper, I would've written something like this. :laughing: I like how poetic it is in places. In general too, he strikes me as a 7w6.

Status, placement above the others
My face would grace covers
Of the magazines of the hustlers
Paper, the likes of which that I had never seen
Her eyes glow green with the logo of our dreams
The purpose of our scene
The obscene obsession for the bling
She would be my queen, I could be her king
Together, she would make me cool
And we would both rule, forever
And I would never feel pain
And never be without pleasure, ever, again
And if the reign stops and everything's dry
She would cry just so I can drink the tears from her eyes

She'll teach me how to fly, even cushion my fall
If my engines ever stall and I plummet from the sky
But she will keep me high, and if I ever die
She would commission monuments on her bosom to him
Or maybe she'd retire as well
A match made in Heaven set the fires in Hell..

Loved this verse. The bolded resonated with me big time.

source

Drake strikes me as a 3w2 so/sx. 3w2s can be pretty generous.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Imo, Andre 3000 is a very obvious NF type and a Enneagram 4w3. He's MUCH different than most other rappers. I think the other guy in Outkast is a 7w8. The combination works surprisingly well. The intensity of that guy's 8 wing, his fun lifestyle and Andre's depth and unique style worked to help them achieve notoriety.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts
@thwoomp

Most hip hop artists I've assumed to be 4s (some of them very convincing in their lyrics and subject matter) turn out to be 4-fixed 9s. Frank Ocean and The Weeknd for example.
They're both 4s.

Kid Cudi is definitely a 4 too. It's possible Kanye is a 4w3 sx/so.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts