Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today about how people always say to "always be yourself." And then I thought what exactly is that? Since we are conditioned to behave and act in certain ways since birth, what exactly is acting like "yourself."

That made me think about how I'm always criticizing people for being "fake" because as an INFJ I can totally see behind their acting, which they hate and makes them feel uncomfortable. But are we really all just actors to some degree? How much of our lives do you think is just playing roles and acting?

I've always been great at acting since I can remember. I'd see characters and unconsciously become them and start picking up their mannerisms and psychology. But at the end of the day similar to actors I would let go of that character and then be "myself" which was much more introverted and less dramatic.

So I was just thinking about the parallels between what we consider actors (professional actors) and our own lives. Just as many actors play roles to get paid and then in real life are so different (and often depressed) I wonder if we're all really just actors.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm totally going down the rabbit hole... I just read about an acting technique called the Meisner technique that was created by a theatre pioneer. He described acting as "living truthfully under imaginary circumstances." Which means acting is the practice of being delusional. That makes me question what exactly is real and not real if so many things we consider to be "real" are really just acts and therefore delusions.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
"All the world's a stage,
And all men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts..."

Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist. x3

I think the question you must ask yourself is, "Who am I?" Because really, that is what you are asking when you ask this question. Are those moments you feel like you're "acting" a part of yourself? I think they are... or at least, they reflect a desire. Or something. ^^

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Self is a constructed illusion with differing degrees of authenticity.

When people say be yourself they mean be authentic, but this is a bit meaningless in this context. What if yourself is inauthentic itself?

What if yourself is an actor and being yourself means being 'fake'? How can one be anything besides what they are?

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I'm totally going down the rabbit hole... I just read about an acting technique called the Meisner technique that was created by a theatre pioneer. He described acting as "living truthfully under imaginary circumstances." Which means acting is the practice of being delusional. That makes me question what exactly is real and not real if so many things we consider to be "real" are really just acts and therefore delusions.
I thought everyone did that when they acted. surely people who make their professions from acting don't view themselves as lying for a living.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought everyone did that when they acted. surely people who make their professions from acting don't view themselves as lying for a living.
Well they know that their acting and the entertainment they produce is imaginary. I mean the roles they play are lies and imaginary so I think they do get paid to lie for a living. The difference is the general public knows and accepts that because they're "actors" whereas we don't necessarily look at other professionals as being actors yet many of them are very disingenuous.

Like doctors that become a doctor only to make a lot of money from kickbacks off prescribing drugs. Or businessmen who pretend to care about your well-being and deceive you into thinking their product will benefit you. If you were to replace those other professionals with the title of "actor" then suddenly no one would trust them.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Well they know that their acting and the entertainment they produce is imaginary. I mean the roles they play are lies and imaginary so I think they do get paid to lie for a living. The difference is the general public knows and accepts that because they're "actors" whereas we don't necessarily look at other professionals as being actors yet many of them are very disingenuous.

Like doctors that become a doctor only to make a lot of money from kickbacks off prescribing drugs. Or businessmen who pretend to care about your well-being and deceive you into thinking their product will benefit you. If you were to replace those other professionals with the title of "actor" then suddenly no one would trust them.
- the doctor in your example is not an actor/liar unless they are trying to deceive people into thinking they are doing it for the public good. many doctors are straight up about the fact that they did it for the money.
- what the business cares about and what the entrepreneur care about are not always the same thing. it's not lying to give your business a positive image to self itself unless
a) you are branding yourself as a person and you yourself are not like that
or
b) your business is lying about the benefits (ie your company sells a pharmaceuticals for cold/congestion and lie that it also helps with weight loss when it doesn't)
c) your business lies about or withholds information on negative side effects

·
Banned
644 Posts
We all have different sides to ourselves. Meaning that in the many different settings you thrive in and the situations that you encounter, you respond naturally as dictated by your mood, thoughts, external stimuli, etc. Although some people confuse this with "acting" or being "fake", it is not. Even our "common sense of courtesy" in formal events or the "chameleon effect" displayed by INTP's is not fake because it's a natural effect of our personalities.

On the other hand, "fake" people fight against the natural tendencies that define their personality to forcibly adopt an alter ego or to impersonate. When they keep this up long enough, the discrepancies in their personality that were so obvious to their best friend becomes more subtle. Ironically, what was once "fake" to this actor begins to feel more natural to the individual and fully transforms into a real component of that person's personality. This whole process even has its own label: adaption.

To directly answer your question, are we all just actors? Not necessarily. We can be at times though as it can be a handy technique as a means to an end.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don`t think so for all f us. I can hardly ever be a good "actress" even when that`s necessary & it can cause me problems. I know we have to hide some aspects of ourselves to be more agreeable to society,but it doesn`t mean always to wear a different mask. Any way I`m not that type.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Dammit, you beat me to it. That's the first thing that came to mind as soon as I saw the title.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I think the question you must ask yourself is, "Who am I?" Because really, that is what you are asking when you ask this question. Are those moments you feel like you're "acting" a part of yourself? I think they are... or at least, they reflect a desire. Or something. ^^
Great quote. You bring up an interesting question... if I have an inherent desire to act like something because I want to act a part of myself then that thing is a part of me. But I've wanted to act so many kinds of people could it be that I am everyone? Or everyone is a part of who I am?

One example is I've been for years now drawn towards people of different races and nationalities. And I jump from one to another wanting to be like them and acting like them. It's kind of like I have a desire to become other people that I can't control. Not because I am insecure but because I genuinely want to understand and experience what others are like. I've been French, German, Swedish, Russian, Brazilian, Cuban, and Egyptian in my head before lol. But it's not like it's enough for me to just say oh that's an interesting culture I want to learn more about it. I actually feel like I want to psychologically immerse myself in a person from the culture.

Sounds weird maybe but I've been like that since I can remember. I always thought it was from having an overactive imagination when I was little but then I realized throughout my life how easily "inspired" I was by people and would become like others from time to time. But again not because of insecurity but because it genuinely interested me to become like people I was interested in. And I've been interested in alotttt of different kinds of people. Not just like a few people I look up to that I would want to emulate. The people I've wanted to emulate at times are of all different kinds and contradict each other. Which is probably why I've felt often throughout my life like who I am is more of a channel then anything. When I start adding attributes to my personality and become more and more of a character I then feel I'm no longer my true self. Of course there are some things I can say definitely I am. But they tend to be few and simple. Once I go into depth about my identity I feel those things are not as concrete. And I see people that don't change throughout their life and I don't understand it. Because my whole life I've been tons of different people in an effort to understand and experience perhaps. But maybe by understanding others I'm understanding myself better?

Sorry for the long writing lol this just got me thinking... because it's something I've always dealt with and still deal with.

- the doctor in your example is not an actor/liar unless they are trying to deceive people into thinking they are doing it for the public good. many doctors are straight up about the fact that they did it for the money.
- what the business cares about and what the entrepreneur care about are not always the same thing. it's not lying to give your business a positive image to self itself unless
a) you are branding yourself as a person and you yourself are not like that
or
b) your business is lying about the benefits (ie your company sells a pharmaceuticals for cold/congestion and lie that it also helps with weight loss when it doesn't)
c) your business lies about or withholds information on negative side effects
Isn't it a given that a doctor is supposed to care about his patient's health and not making money? Most people assume that. I personally don't but I have my own experiences and reasons for that. I'm not aware of any doctor that tells his patients he's a doctor because he wants to make a profit off of them.

And businesses do a version of a, b, and c all the time.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Dammit, you beat me to it. That's the first thing that came to mind as soon as I saw the title.
Well, hey, great minds think alike. ^^ Haha. I was just lucky to get here first. :)

@eros5th -

Great quote. You bring up an interesting question... if I have an inherent desire to act like something because I want to act a part of myself then that thing is a part of me. But I've wanted to act so many kinds of people could it be that I am everyone? Or everyone is a part of who I am?
I don't think everyone is a part of you, but your desire to have something someone else has (I don't mean that in a coveting-ish way, but in a 'look-up-to, you've got something that I really value and henceforth will try and incorporate into me) points to the fact that you are, as you said, influenced. You take interest in things and are in turn influenced by them. Naturally, you're going to feel like you as a person are changing and perhaps putting on different masks. I don't think you are doing that. It is simply you. Think of everything you do as your path towards self discovery. What's interesting is that you'll find that through this, you influence others in turn.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I was thinking today about how people always say to "always be yourself." And then I thought what exactly is that? Since we are conditioned to behave and act in certain ways since birth, what exactly is acting like "yourself."

That made me think about how I'm always criticizing people for being "fake" because as an INFJ I can totally see behind their acting, which they hate and makes them feel uncomfortable. But are we really all just actors to some degree? How much of our lives do you think is just playing roles and acting?

I've always been great at acting since I can remember. I'd see characters and unconsciously become them and start picking up their mannerisms and psychology. But at the end of the day similar to actors I would let go of that character and then be "myself" which was much more introverted and less dramatic.

So I was just thinking about the parallels between what we consider actors (professional actors) and our own lives. Just as many actors play roles to get paid and then in real life are so different (and often depressed) I wonder if we're all really just actors.
I think by "acting" and being "fake", it's just people conforming to their enviorments. Everyone does it, some people just try to maintain their individuality a bit more than others. I wouldn't be overly critical, I'd view it more as an adaptation based on their enviorment, if you view it this way, you might come off as less critical.

But, I see what you are saying here, and "are we all just actors", I would say yes, but I don't really like the terminology. I'd say we are all adapters. :cool:

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
What is fake?
What is lie?
There is always truth within the fakeness, considering we make the masks and not the original owner of the mask we model it on. Therefore it's our expression of our "actions" and our interpretation of it that makes us unique.
Ironically meaning questioning your individuality in a desperate attempt to be unique just pulls you deeper into the never ending s***storm sundae.
My opinion of it? I have none, never really cared to look at people as phonies, the closest is ponies, and we all know how that ended.

...;~; Never. Again.

·
Banned
144 Posts
I used to be so honest with the way I carried myself. It turned out that it wasn't such a good idea. Ever since then, I've refrained from investing parts of my true self. It made everything much easier. I saw things more objectively.

Most of my acting involves concealing what I really think and sometimes, playing dumb. It's easier to move around when people assume that I don't pay attention or when they sense my indifference.

As @GloriousEnd314 has mentioned, it's my way of adapting. I rely on a part of me, fake or real, that can best make sense of the circumstances outside of myself. Then, I base my actions on that understanding.

Reactions: wisdom and kudi

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's like character in a movie saying "that wasn't like me at all", when it's actor playing role of a character and real nature of the actor is outside the movie :)
See it's all fine, your supposed to act and be fully immersed in it. It's those who leave the act to peek behind the scenes doing it wrong. But like fish isn't supposed to fly above water surface, many do and there's lot to see.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
What is fake?
What is lie?
There is always truth within the fakeness, considering we make the masks and not the original owner of the mask we model it on. Therefore it's our expression of our "actions" and our interpretation of it that makes us unique.
Ironically meaning questioning your individuality in a desperate attempt to be unique just pulls you deeper into the never ending s***storm sundae.
My opinion of it? I have none, never really cared to look at people as phonies, the closest is ponies, and we all know how that ended.

...;~; Never. Again.
Hey hey careful with that thing! It's crit boosted! It just did a critical hit on my brain... o.o

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is fake?
What is lie?

...;~; Never. Again.
Ahaha looks like something Lady Gaga would do :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts