Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't tell. Sometimes I feel more calculating than anyone I know, to a fault, other times I feel more creative than most, to a fault e.g. no grounded in reality, no concrete achievements but tons of sweet ideas in my notepad.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That is pretty much the definition of a INTP. Highly creative and spontaneous and yet unusually calculating. Unfortunately we are too busy thinking about anything and everything to actually do things.

Fortunately (at least in the way I see it), I am a type 8 and thus determined to become better than everyone around me and wants everyone to know I'm better, so I actually make the effort to strive for concrete intellectual and physical achievements that I can rub in everyones faces.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think even ISTJ's might be more calculating than me. I consider myself more "intellectual" but not more calculating. I think I'm more creative/outisde the box than them. And as for INTJ's...I'd say more creative because the J is not compelling me to organize and make decisions constantly through the day.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Creatively calculating. I'd say ISTJs are more calculating, and INFP is more creative...

I do, however, quite enjoy the mix of creative/calculative. I'd prefer intellectual over either, and I think I manage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd have to go with those who say creatively calculating. It's a shame we don't actually bring a lot of our ideas to fruition. We could rule the world. Maybe.:dry:

Reactions: feefafo

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Creatively calculating works for me, although I do think that if you become too creative or too calculating it's hard to balance both. Extreme calculation works against creativity. Ever has an ISTJ co-worker? Yeah.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Or you can just cheat and say "I am creatively calculating."
Or caluculating creativly.

For me, I find myself more creative in a scientific way, so if I were a science I would be physics instead of say... Biology. We have that odd comination of being logical and completely abstract, so it can be a bit contradictory at times.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Logical yet completely abstract is an excellent way of talking about this little dilemma. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
calculating:
2 : marked by prudent analysis or by shrewd consideration of self-interest : scheming

I have never thought of myself as being calculating at all. I have like 0 ability to scheme.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's more connotative than denotative. (I said calculating because it had a nice ring to it when fired off after the word creative.)

Flux figured it out. I'm very analytical but I don't analyze sensory reality, I analyze abstract concepts I generate with my imagination, a.k.a. creativity.

Beautiful. Everyone should thank her. She solved the mystery.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
That's more connotative than denotative. (I said calculating because it had a nice ring to it when fired off after the word creative.)

Flux figured it out. I'm very analytical but I don't analyze sensory reality, I analyze abstract concepts I generate with my imagination, a.k.a. creativity.

Beautiful. Everyone should thank her. She solved the mystery.
what I posted was one of the dictionary definitions, which by, uh, definition is denotative. but whatever. I didn't realize you were asking this as a solve-this-mystery sort of question, just how we see ourselves.

I would agree that I analyze abstract concepts. I do analyze sensory reality in some areas of interest, though, such as analyzing a plant's leaves and flowers in order to identify it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The "solve the mystery" line was mostly sarcasm.

Your dictionary definition was not primary, it was the secondary definition (#2), thus more connotative than denotative.

I agree with you about analyzing sensory things. I loved micro-biology. I loved the microscopes. But I hated the assignments and projects. I like to look at something under the scope then let it stimulate my imagination and build connections and create theories. I don't stick to literal facts too long...conceptualizing in no time. The projects were asking me to do the opposite of that (hence why I abandoned science and am now in the humanities).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts