Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We entps are different than the other seven extroverts. We are known to be talkative and witty yet charming but i find my self enjoying myself rather than the others. I don't like people in general but yet i always try to impress them. Also i find my self travelling alone avoiding company but also while observing people. you?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Do you prefer large groups (20+ people) or small groups (1-5 people) events?

Do you at these large group events talk to people you don't know (Not feeling forced, but feeling that is what exactly what you like), or do you only talk to known friends?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I am not talking about being on the stage. I am talking about a social (Talking to each other, cookout, pool party) event that has a lot of people there, and you are free to talk to any stranger you like.

Do you want to go and chat up with all these strangers, or do you prefer to be alone, or just talk to friends?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
BTW, FYI, I HATE those tests that solely judge you as E or I by how you recharge your energy. Frigging moronic.

I mean, IMO, that couldn't be more dumber (close minded) way to find out for sure. EVERYBODY gets tired and after socialize for a while they need some alone time, BOTH Extroverts and Introverts do this eventually at the end of the day. Extroverts after a day of socializing, don't go home and spend time alone and recharge? Nobody I know is like that. EVERYONE needs sleep, watch some TV, instead of having constant yelling and noise in their head.

So, don't say that this is the solely parameter to tell if someone is E or I.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
After being at the most boring party I've ever been to yesterday and still refusing to leave I wouldn't call myself a sociable introvert...

Only need time alone when I'm on a bad mood as I get incredibly irritable by small things, this happens maybe once a month or so. I think there are different degrees of extraversion in the ENTP category - someone might need a lot of time alone and someone very little of that. For example, I go crazy within a day or two whenever we go to our cottage in Lapland (basically wilderness) and I'm only surrounded by my family members and they get so annoying that I'm only in my room feeling drained due to the lack of company.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yeah I am the same, I could stay at a not that interesting party all the way until it's over sometimes, but actually depends on if there are good TV to watch at home. I know the party isn't all that, yet I refuse to leave. I WILL leave though, if there is good TV on.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think that, rather than a sociable introvert, I am more like a not extremely social extrovert.
Being around people is ok, I make friends fairly easily, but not having people around isn't terrible. Interaction doesn't drain me, but it doesn't energize me, either. I never feel the need to withdraw from people (unless I don't like them or I am upset), nor the need to go out and socialize with others.
I might seem aggressive or uncaring to some people, but most of them after some time manage to see under the "shell" and realize I'm not unfriendly or hostile.
The only occasion in which I want to be alone is when playing video games, in the sense that I want to play on my own and not in a team of people; which is the reason why I avoid RPGs and games like that. Which doesn't ever happen IRL since I do team sports without any problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also dislike the "do you like people?" type questions. Short answer: Not really.

For me, it basically boils down to environment. If I feel the need to suppress my thoughts and hide too much of myself, I figure it's not worth the energy of pretending to have fun. I can be sociable when I need to. Around people I like I can be talkative and engaging.

But most of the time, I prefer my own space and thoughts. Behaviorally, I resemble an introvert more than an extrovert.

Reactions: aswanisonfire

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've always looked at it like this: Ne is not an especially social function. Boring, mundane situations drain us.

I'm actually very comfortable around people and can be pretty good with them, but I generally don't seek out ordinary social situations to "recharge". I want to talk to new, interesting people. I'd rather do something by myself that is new/interesting than go to the same pub every night with the same group of people who talk about the same things. Probably why I have tons of acquaintances but few close friends.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I also dislike the "do you like people?" type questions. Short answer: Not really.
I like most people if they aren't rude, or Asshole type in general and they also want to make friends but not the "I rather sit and look at the table socializing scares me" loner type.

Just that going home to watch TV or movies, eat/sleep has nothing to do with introverts.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you are wondering are you really more Introvert or Extrovert, here are some good Introvert / Extrovert questions I think with what I already posted:

Not talking about being the center of attention, or get on a stage.

• Do you prefer large groups (20+ people) or small groups (1-5 people) events? (Not talking about just friends, talking about almost all complete strangers)
  • Do you at these large group events talk to people you don't know (Not feeling forced, but feeling that is what exactly what you like), or do you only talk to known friends?
  • Kind of the same question. Are you excited to meet new people?
  • Do you often feel alone in a crowd? (At social meetups NOT talking about you going alone to a concert or public event)
  • At home on weekend for a day, ummmm you love it, or you really really want to get out and join a group of people?
  • At public transportations, you get on and sit far away from the crowd, or you actually sit among the crowd? (Not necessarily the same as sitting together with another person)
  • Audience participation events scares you, or it doesn't really matter?
  • You selectively social depend on who are going, or social at any events regardless you know anyone or not.
  • After a few hours at social events, you wish you were home instead, and you aren't even tired, nor is there any good TV shows on that you like. Or you stay cuz it's better than going home?
  • Do you often feel "OMG this is much better" when you are alone, than events that has many people?
  • A good video game comes out, do you hate the fact you are not going to have time to go out and social and meetup people. Or, you think "F*** them, this game is so much better"?
  • A fun meeting at work actually bothers you and you think "Let me get back to work instead"?

I guess we ENTP more than other personalities are often mistakenly judged as Introverts by others because we are introspective thinkers (NT) personality as well, we are prune to think more than others, except for other NT variants.

But there is only one other ENTx personality, it's the ENTJ which means that they are more organized than us ENTPs or more oppressive, more controlling to be around. I am extremely non-judgmental and tolerant of people, ideas, and concepts. But the ENTJ maybe more judgmental. So once you spot a ENTJ from ENTP, introvert and extrovert is the hardest to figure out. But like I said, these questions I posted should give you a pretty good idea are you more E or I.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you are wondering are you really more Introvert or Extrovert, here are some good Introvert / Extrovert questions I think with what I already posted:

Not talking about being the center of attention, or get on a stage.

• Do you prefer large groups (20+ people) or small groups (1-5 people) events? (Not talking about just friends, talking about almost all complete strangers)
  • Do you at these large group events talk to people you don't know (Not feeling forced, but feeling that is what exactly what you like), or do you only talk to known friends?
  • Kind of the same question. Are you excited to meet new people?
  • Do you often feel alone in a crowd? (At social meetups NOT talking about you going alone to a concert or public event)
  • At home on weekend for a day, ummmm you love it, or you really really want to get out and join a group of people?
  • At public transportations, you get on and sit far away from the crowd, or you actually sit among the crowd? (Not necessarily the same as sitting together with another person)
  • Audience participation events scares you, or it doesn't really matter?
  • You selectively social depend on who are going, or social at any events regardless you know anyone or not.
  • After a few hours at social events, you wish you were home instead, and you aren't even tired, nor is there any good TV shows on that you like. Or you stay cuz it's better than going home?
  • Do you often feel "OMG this is much better" when you are alone, than events that has many people?
  • A good video game comes out, do you hate the fact you are not going to have time to go out and social and meetup people. Or, you think "F*** them, this game is so much better"?
  • A fun meeting at work actually bothers you and you think "Let me get back to work instead"?
ALL of these are people related.Some extroverts just don't have anything particular with people.Intuition for example likes ideas the most of all things.Now ideas can come from people,and I think that even a lot of people can be tolerated even as an introvert since INTP fe have Ne and like ideas.But in allmost every cog.func. test extrovert questions are people related which is why I score very LOW on Ne, whilst I'm actually certain it's at least my auxiliary function or even my dom.

Phew .That had to get out . :D

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
ALL of these are people related. Some extroverts just don't have anything particular with people.
Yes, ALL extroverts should have the desire to be with other people, very often. Maybe not ALL of the time (Hell I myself can understand that good movies, TV, games, and introverted thinking are appealing and not always easy to get other people to do these with us) but not long before we ENTPs or Exxx, want to go out and be with other people to feel complete.

We hate to be alone, for the most part. But we xNTPs do whatever we must do, even that means we have to be alone to do what we LOVE. But does that mean I rather do these things alone? Not really.

Other Es just aren't like us xNTx people, they don't have as much interests/hobbies as us. So when they are alone, that's it, they have nothing else they can do, they are bored out of their minds.

We ENTPs are never bored, alone or with other people, because so much activities captivate us. But we PREFER to be with other people, if we can help it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I do not agree with your interpretation of extrovert. I stand by my point that extrovert is just a direction, and has nothing to do with people.It CAN be people oriented but they are not intrinsic to the definition following C.J. theories.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Most people are a combination of Introvert & Extrovert traits, with different angles of their personality surfacing at various times. No one is a 100% Extrovert or a 100% Introvert. It's about the percentage between 1% and 99% to me. But, if you are mostly not a people/outgoing individual, your extroverted % is likely not very high. I don't see how it can, logically.

You may have 30-49% of extrovert traits as an Introvert, but not a very outgoing, people person, I can't see that you have a high % in extrovert, if love to be people isn't high with you.

I strongly do not agree with any ONE (or less than 5) question(s) that determines your E or I, I think the more questions the more accurate are the tests. The definition that says how your energy is directed is just one question, while some of you may convince yourself that is the law or whatever of Jungian theory and that alone to me should NOT conclude a person's personality, period.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yes but the point is, we have to, if we can't find others to watch them with us. We may not prefer to do anything alone, but we can't always find people to do things with us!

And it is unfortunate, we cannot find others to do things with us all the time, but we DON'T want to MISS OUT either, no matter what.

My whole life, I've struggled with this.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
People tend to gather around a specific extravert process (SE, NE, FE, TE), though gregariousness is a SE or FE trait, SE seeking people presence and FE people emotions. ISxPs and IxFJs relate more to the gregarious introvert portrait. Depending on how abstract they really are, people scoring ENTP will either be gregarious extraverts (more S) or non-gregarious extraverts (more N). In the second case, ENTPs will only seek people ideas and disband as soon as somebody's ideas are not interesting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts