Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we good liars and sometimes lie when we didn't intend to? In conversations I used to lie to save myself from embarrassment or to maintain my image unless I'm really close to that person. And sometimes I don't want to lie but it just comes out of nowhere. Lies close to the truth or just stories. Some of those lies come out when I didn't have to lie and I regret it later :frustrating:. If there is a tiny hole in that lie I get super paranoid that that person might know someday so I infj doorslam... Prevented meeting some new people :sad: Ahhh!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I smoked for months before telling friends (really close friends) and for 4 years before telling most of my loved ones and they couldn't believe it. I think it depends on how sacred the secret is and it is not that I lie purposely, I just choose what I do not want to tell or think you won't be able to understand or accept (or maybe feel it is none of that persons business). Honesty is the best policy, I just tend to cut out a lot of detail. I tell the truth and nothing but the truth, just different views on them ;)

I won't lie if it is going to have a negative effect on someones life or feelings though...generally...If I don't ever have to lie, that will suit me perfectly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would be good in acting, so yes, I do have a 'talent' for lying too... but I feel horrible doing it (feels like betrying myself not just the other person) so I do try to avoid it.
If I am overwhelmed by a 'negative' situation though, I can lie like a champion (I was once searching for work and had to go try out a place for 2 days. After 3 hours being there, I knew I could NEVER work there and I just wanted to leave. The boss there though was veeery...hm special o.o so I didn't want to hurt her feelings with saying 'I cannot work here it is horrible with you' and I ended up crying about my father being in the hospital andandand o_____o (after this I swore to myself NEVER lie like that again) it was a horrible experience >.< )

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm a rubbish liar. Every time i do it, it's like someone took a black marker and wrote "I AM LYING" all over my face. Never was any good in board games that require you to lie either. I can omit things if i think they will hurt the person or plain refuse to tell if i don't want to share (if i don't trust the person, or because someone told me in confidence), but i'm a horrible liar so i don't tend to do that.

I used to sometimes lie as a kid unintentionally. Just an overactive imagination and i sometimes believed it myself. Cats that came to steal candy and stuff. But even then, no-one ever bought it (partially because the stories were somewhat unbelievable, LOL).

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am a terrible liar. The truth is all over my face. Especially to my family: they always find it hilarious when I try to lie to them, for whatever reason, simply because I. can't. lie.

I am an excellent manipulator, though.
Not something to be proud of, I guess, but it's true.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I could be, but I don't like lies, and I don't like lying.

I'm probably okay with telling white lies or bending the truth for the benefit of someone else.
For example a lie said to save or protect, or in order to protect the feelings of someone who I felt needed their feelings or self-confidence protected. Although even then, it's probably better to tell them the truth and then reassure them about it.

And I can act or go along with an untruth for the sake of a joke. Because at the end of the joke the truth comes out.

But for my own benefit? No. In day to day life or if I make a mistake or screw up in some way, I'll admit it. I'd much rather face things head on and accept the consequences. I also think it's a far better option than lying, and it's the only way for people build up trust with one another. If people keep lying or making up stories, you'll keep being left with some degree of doubt towards them.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I'm a terrible liar. I have no poker face, and even if I try to omit a bit of truth or tell a fib, guilt kicks in and I can't do it.

·
Registered
30,772 Posts
Good actors, yes, give me a role to play in a social setting and I'll method act my way through almost anything. Lying, for me at least, is different because its usually more deliberate with the intent to deceive. Let's say I can be selective about what I want to put out there at times. Does that make me a liar?

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I tell half truths and I'm very good at twisting it so that it sounds totally different than what's actually the case. But I think I've lied 3-4 times in my life.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Hmm...

When it comes to fun lying, like when friends want to play a joke on another friend, and we keep up a lie--I suck at that. I always end up laughing.

When it comes to serious lies, it kind of depends. I'm good at telling a story--at mixing truth with false to where it seems like a natural truth. I think this works for me because I can focus on the true aspects to hold myself over.

But if I have to tell a bold face lie, I can't do it.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The nature of lying needs to be considered. Why do ppl lie? Why some ppl become habitual liars, lying about everything even if they don't have to lie?

Could it be paranoia, fear, strong self protective nature, extreme form of loner?

I ponder about the times I fudged truth or out right lied (to myself, too). Why did I do these? What stopped me from telling the truth?

1. To save face is a big one. I didn't want ppl to know the truth because the truth put me under an unflattering light, exposing my weaknesses.

2. I was self conscious of my inadequacies or being ill informed therefore I'd trump up from 20% to 70%.

3. I didn't want ppl (or myself) to know my real feelings (ie. it mattered but I didn't want to admit it) therefore I lied about it.

4. I didn't do what I was supposed to do therefore I lied about why I didn't do it to cover my ass (mostly work related).

Today I try my best to stay away from outright lies. I still fudge (blending of real and made-up) but I'd make a point to dig deeper on why I do it. To me it's the best way to face my own demon and to be truthful to myself.

Being truthful to self is what I am striving for. Years/decades of living under masks and camouflage can distort ppl like bad plastic surgeries (irreversible, too). I don't want to look like that.

Reactions: Mirkwood

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I am absolutely terrified if someone acusses me of lying. If I felt like I cheated someone (but some very easily feel cheated and offended, because they are entitled or whatever, too big dreams/expectations?. or maybe dont see their own part in the outcome.)

Even the thought about it, that maybe I am not telling everything and not being sincere, living up to expectation. Dont want to let others down (that is also sometimes why I cant stop writing.. )

"Just" telling someone something else, does not come easy to me.

But it is funny, one time I visited a forum for compulsive liars out of curiosity, and it felt like I just wanted to lie really badly. Imagin saying a different name, country, etc.
But what is the point?, you would be living a lie, and it can get very deep. Say I came here and just fabricated stuff, what would the point be?. To feel better?, superior observer?, gain?.

Yesterday I saw a documentary about a pretty big star in hollywood, he told about how he in his youth lied about his education and went to great lenght hiding it. But the documentary and his friends hailed him.
It made me just a little sick to my stomach.

But do I lie?, sure sometimes I do.. for fun, practical joke, whatever. But I might make it really obvious by intent, smile really big.
But it is a spectrum.. One can extravegate or the oppesit..
I am not a homeless that would be a lie and I am not very rich and famous.

Some say it is nessary to be able to lie.. (but id almost want to question that.. as it is almost like a "Must" or "Should", "Ought to" "always been that way", justification)
In my country they teach children about how to lie in some schools. But they also get taught what is okay and not, so, I guess it will be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts