Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean mainly by other N's. Do you guys see us as ridiculous? I sometimes wonder if no one says anything just because they can tell we might get hurt. Sometimes I just want to know the objective truth though.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I think online, INFPs are often portrayed as somewhat ridiculous. We're stereotyped as these fuzzy bunnies, harmless & not very bright, but cute. Or we're the cry baby emos, dramatizing our emotions for poetry and songs that others find maudlin at best.

In reality (off of message boards), I don't feel people perceive me that way though. I don't want/expect people to take me too seriously, but my entire viewpoint is not usually invalidated as sentimental. If it is invalidated, then it's usually for being too abstract. As I've become more articulate with age, this is less of a problem. It also depends on who I'm talking to...

Other ways I find myself being written off IRL include being seen as dull (maybe cuz I'm shy), aloof (shy again), and strange (abstract again).

265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think online, INFPs are often portrayed as somewhat ridiculous. We're stereotyped as these fuzzy bunnies, harmless & not very bright, but cute. Or we're the cry baby emos, dramatizing our emotions for poetry and songs that others find maudlin at best.

In reality (off of message boards), I don't feel people perceive me that way though. I don't want/expect people to take me too seriously, but my entire viewpoint is not usually invalidated as sentimental. If it is invalidated, then it's usually for being too abstract. As I've become more articulate with age, this is less of a problem. It also depends on who I'm talking to...

Other ways I find myself being written off IRL include being seen as dull (maybe cuz I'm shy), aloof (shy again), and strange (abstract again).
yeaa... I don't feel like people can tell enough about me to give an opinion in real life.

I feel like people get either frustrated, tired, or fed up with me irl. Do you get that? Like if you are ordering a subway sandwhich and they start huffing and puffing because you are not in the moment? Or maybe people try to connect with you and I guess you are so engulfed in your own reality that they seem to be thinking (alright well fuck you too).

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
yeaa... I don't feel like people can tell enough about me to give an opinion in real life.

I feel like people get either frustrated, tired, or fed up with me irl. Do you get that? Like if you are ordering a subway sandwhich and they start huffing and puffing because you are not in the moment? Or maybe people try to connect with you and I guess you are so engulfed in your own reality that they seem to be thinking (alright well fuck you too).
I used to get semi-anxious in standing in line because I have to be careful to not float away; people get annoyed if you do not respond asap on your turn. I now have my money out, what I'm going to say prepared mentally, and I keep hyper-aware when I get close to my turn.

When I was a teen, I actually worked 1 day at Subway. The manager was "trying me out"; we both agreed I would not come back after the end of that day.... I had a really hard time taking all of the instructions from customers and making their sandwich. It's quite fast-paced. You'd think I was a total idiot; I am just so out of the moment that a job like that overwhelms me. My mind was fighting to daydream.

Funnily enough, my HS math teacher (likely an ENTP) came in to order hat day and told me I should not be working there; he was like, "You need a job away from the public that is more mental.". He definitely was not off with that conclusion :crazy: :tongue: .

Reactions: oncetheriver

·
Registered
89 Posts
hahaha I love coffee!
So do I. I bit too much. A few months ago, I was downing twenty (yes, two times ten) cups of coffee (plus Coke plus tea) a day at least. So I managed to ruin my stomach and understood that it was my body telling me that it was time to cut it down. So I did. And as my caffeine consumption remain high because of other sources, I cut coffee down to zero.

265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So do I. I bit too much. A few months ago, I was downing twenty (yes, two times ten) cups of coffee (plus Coke plus tea) a day at least. So I managed to ruin my stomach and understood that it was my body telling me that it was time to cut it down. So I did. And as my caffeine consumption remain high because of other sources, I cut coffee down to zero.
ahhh im sorry. my friend has kidney stones cause he was a vegan and all he ate for months was just chocolate and coffee.

GAH 20! I just saw that hahaha. WOW. howwww .... jeeeeesus

·
Registered
89 Posts
But answering the original question, yes, I think we are perceived as ridiculous simply because current society values things like independence (which is misread as selfishness), ambition (which most people think stems from undervaluing others) and other things that brand empathy, sensitivity and overall caring as "loser" characteristics. Curiously, every single show / movie out there seems to praise what comes naturally to INFPs but it doesn't seem to take root on people's everyday lives.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ahhh im sorry. my friend has kidney stones cause he was a vegan and all he ate for months was just chocolate and coffee.

GAH 20! I just saw that hahaha. WOW. howwww .... jeeeeesus
:) And I'm from Brazil -- we take 'em coffees dark and strong like oil. None of this watered down stuff you find at Starbucks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I do stage crew at school, and I have an idea of what needs to be done to complete an objective. However, there is this girl who is in my grade, who is either ENTP or ENTJ, that is just so bossy, bitchy, and perhaps a bit manipulative. I digress in my rant. Anyways, whenever I'm doing something, whether it is adjusting something, or asking again a question on a cue (for example), I think she thinks I'm just mentally handicapped, even though I just want to clarify any issues. It's like I'm the subordinate being manipulated by a puppet master who is shorter and younger than me (by a week). It really pisses me off, and I want to explode and tell her that she is not the boss, but I feel like that I won't have evidence to back myself up, then I would look more ridiculous than usual.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
^ The concrete evidence people require can be frustrating....very much so. INFPs may just have an intuition or a feeling, and finding some external validation for it that's acceptable to others can be nearly impossible, so we may find our viewpoint invalidated.

To counter that comment, I don't constantly feel invalidated, but it does happen on occasion. Usually, over time, the truth I saw comes to light in the eyes of others, and then I feel some vindication.

Reactions: Luke

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think I irritate people due to my lacking attention span. Especially when I'm a work. I tend to drift off into my head and not pay attention to what I'm doing, and I end up doing something rather careless or dumb. No one ever really says too much about it, but I know people get annoyed by it sometimes when I drift off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a friend who constantly reminds me how ridiculous I am. He views 'F' as being inferior to 'T' which he is. All he does is cut me down and make me feel worthless. At first I was able to shrug off his taunts but its gone of for so long now it is affecting me. I am actually thinking what he is saying is true. However I realize I'm getting off topic. To restate, I have a friend or two that thinks I'm ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm generally respected for my talents and the good things I've done in my life, although being quiet I feel I am often overlooked. I admit I can be very absent minded and sometimes do silly things. But people close to me tend to accept it and kind of like it. One of my friends told me that it's good to be a bit eccentric and kooky. My sister described me as "you're intelligent but you're not smart" and I can accept that :laughing:. I think she means smart as in Judging and Sensing, which she is particularly good at.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ridiculous? Absolutely. I am the text book definition of ridiculous^10. I subscribe my comments often to the obscure and light hearted, such as the possibility that every moment of life is deconstructed and reconstructed by little gremlins, but sometimes they forget to put everything back exactly right, which is why we lose things that we swear we knew where they were and then they end up being there. I also talk about being spirited away to Narnia a lot... oh, and how I am generally a god, which I defend with the most tautological arguments possible, using primarily circular logic yada yada bla bla bla, communicating with sound effects as much as spoken language, pantomiming around a person who is trying to just make a point or say something to get a laugh, then blending into the background all cartoon style, that's me. Oh, and extrapolating and linking thoughts together that most people would never see. It creates some of the craziest non sequitors you've ever heard, but I think that's my N over clocking itself.

I am willing to bet my Mad Hatter meets Willy Wonka and has a play date with the Looney Toons type mannerisms are hardly considered normal, but hey, I'm an INFP and IRL I am probably one of the most ridiculous people you could meet.

On forums on the other hand... well actually, I can be pretty damn ridic online aswell...

Whether or not my definition of ridiculous is meeting up with yours, judging by previous posts in this thread it probably doesn't, well meh.

·
Registered
663 Posts
a quick reply to the OP - being an idealistic dreamer IS ridiculous...but to be frank I think the other people relying on logic (actually just a backwards rationalisation of their emotional beliefs) and common sense blatantly boring AND ridiculous

1 - 20 of 26 Posts