Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does spending so much time in our inner world make us more inclined to feel that others around us are "less real" than we are? I've all but mastered the art of depersonalizing to make cutting a person out of my life easy. Although, if anything, maybe these are signs of more avoidant tendencies than narcissistic tendencies. But i've been sitting here for nearly an hour taking myself in circles, waht are your thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Most people agree about many vague or general ideas that indicate a certain number of realities until they examine the particulars of these general realties and find that much of what they believe to be true only seems true at that moment and to them.

Many people are born and conditioned from Aristotelian logic, where something must always be black or white, right or wrong, but most things seem much more ambiguous and complex than they appear to be. We are strange creatures that hold simultaneously conflicting values, but we generalize our perceptions to uphold our own sense of sanity and communicate with the other strange creatures, sometimes consciously or from an unconscious habit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love that, in my Logic class, we are talking about that. It seems bizarre and strange that we are able to hold a view X that conflicts with view Y. Yet we believe both to be true. I get mad at my mother whom often reads all of these self proclaimed "healing experts". In reality I think they are just BS artists.

Most people agree about many vague or general ideas that indicate a certain number of realities until they examine the particulars of these general realties and find that much of what they believe to be true only seems true at that moment and to them.

Many people are born and conditioned from Aristotelian logic, where something must always be black or white, right or wrong, but most things seem much more ambiguous and complex than they appear to be. We are strange creatures that hold simultaneously conflicting values, but we generalize our perceptions to uphold our own sense of sanity and communicate with the other strange creatures, sometimes consciously or from an unconscious habit.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I am not narcissistic at all. Im actually pretty insecure...

Although I am a intellectual elitist when i choose my friends. But thats not because I want to look better (smarter) but its just because I have more in common with smart people.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Yeah. I think that since we spend so much time in our minds, we're more prone to see anything external to ourselves as less important or valuable, since we are clearly aware of our own thoughts so keenly, whereas we aren't aware of the true thoughts of others. This may lead to the exaltation of one own's mind and a possible misled presumption that others aren't as smart, logical, thoughtful or generally capable or able. This sort of fantasizing, where we take it for granted how capable we truly are, can have as many drawbacks as it creates benefits.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I see myself as being far from narcissistic. I'm rather insecure and I second guess myself alot. I know some INTPs who self-describe themselves as narcissistic though. I suppose it just depends on the INTP.

If anyone was to mistakenly think I was narcissistic it would be because I appear aloof and in my own world and someone could wrongly think I'm not talking to them because I'm too good for them. Also, I can unintentionally 'talk down' to others when logically explaining something as if they couldn't make the logical connections themselves. I certainly don't intend to come across that way although sometimes it happens because I know from experience that some people need to have every little thing spelled out.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
...I've all but mastered the art of depersonalizing to make cutting a person out of my life easy.
This happens to everybody though. If you come to a point of having to break relations with a person for one reason or another the logical function kicks into gear and you'll start to devalue that person. Watch two friends or a couple have a fight and separate and you'll notice that both start thinking much less of each other. As long as you don't do it to some unhealthy measure it's working as intended.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Does spending so much time in our inner world make us more inclined to feel that others around us are "less real" than we are? I've all but mastered the art of depersonalizing to make cutting a person out of my life easy. Although, if anything, maybe these are signs of more avoidant tendencies than narcissistic tendencies. But i've been sitting here for nearly an hour taking myself in circles, waht are your thoughts on the subject?
My thoughts are that the concept you described has nothing to do with narcisism. The word you were looking for is "egocentric".

Sorry, the INTP in me doesn't allow me to participate in discussions with wrong first statements in the first place.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I actually just saw something in Jung's Psychological Types that deals with this subject (from paragraph 645):

The [rational] introvert is far more subject to misunderstanding than the [rational] extravert, not so much because the extravert is a more merciless or critical adversary than he himself might be, but because the style of the times which he himself imitates works against him. He finds himself in the minority, not in numerical relation to the extravert, but in relation to the general Western view of the world as judged by his feeling. In so far as he is a convinced participator in the general style, he undermines his own foundations; for the general style, acknowledging as it does only the visible and tangible values, is opposed to the specific principle. Because of its invisibility, he is obliged depreciate the the subjective factor, and force himself to join in the extraverted overvaluation of the object. He himself sets the subjective factor at too low a value, and his feelings of inferiority are his chastisement for this sin. Little wonder, therefore, that it is precisely in the present epoch, and particularly in those moments which are somewhat ahead of the time, that the subjective factor reveals itself in exaggerated, tasteless forms of expression bordering on caricature.

The undervaluation of his own principle makes the [rational] introvert egotistical and forces on him the psychology of the underdog. The more egotistical he becomes, the more it seems that others, who are apparently able, without qualms, to conform to the general style, are oppressors against whom he must defend himself. He generally does not see that his chief error lies in not depending on the subjective factor in the same with the same devotion with which the [rational] extravert relies on the object. His undervaluation of his own principle makes his leanings towards egotism unavoidable, and because of this, he fully deserves the censure of the [rational] extravert. If he remained true to his own principle, the charge of egotism would be altogether false, for his attitude would be justified by its effects in general, and the misunderstanding would be dissipated.
Translation: people don't understand us, so we try to think of ourselves in their terms. We don't trust Ti, and instead try to make ourselves into Te-lite. When we fail at this, we assume that we're oppressed and that we must be misunderstood because we're smarter than everyone else. In reality, we need to be true to ourselves. We need to recognize ourselves not necessarily as better than everyone else, but as being different than everyone else. When we embrace that difference things become better to a certain degree.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I can be prone to narcissism in the sense that I always feel like everybody around me is stupid, and I'm the only person with any sort of intelligence. But I don't obsess over vanity and trivial things such as that.
This funny :) As an inFp i feel like most arround me don't feel as much as i do. A more cleaner definition would be, they don't let themselves truly feel their emotions. They seem to be less compassionate for instance or, when watching a movie, don't let themselves get touched as deeply as i do. While i flourish when exposed to a really well made, non-cheesy, moving movie scene, "THEY" are literally shutting down and thats when i think "why are they so damned incapable"? Do you, in the same way, see people simply stopping thinking too, almost like it were an act of will. Because, i believe, i too met such people.

Anyways, it seems to me T and F, if a person accepts that part of his personality, also becomes a device for measuring other people, it becomes, in a sense part of our "morality": Who, in our mind, is a truly "good" or "developed" person? Who is worthwhile to be arround? Hopefully we don't take that projection to far, but i believe i am having a hard time not to. Anyway i like to surround myself with very "feeling" people and strangely enough are drawn to thinkers too, i believe, perhaps they fascinate me and annoy (as in "confuse") me at same time :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
i was much more narcissistic when i was an ENTP (which is what i used to be about 10 years ago). now i'm just much more avoidant than anything else. this might also be a function of getting older, though. i also have a totally unscientific theory based on personal anecdotal experience that ExxPs have a tendency to be narcissistic.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
My best friend (INTP) can definitely be narcissistic... so can I. When we get together, it's a big ego petting fest x) We bathe in each other's awesomeness... and then we bottle it up and sell it :p

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussing narcissism can get convoluted. On the one hand, everybody should naturally be, to a modest extent, narcissistic (self-love is healthy)---on the other, there are people who suffer from NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder). Ironically, the latter usually indicates someone who not only hates him- or herself, but who feels relentlessly abject, and less than worthless. But deep, deep, WAY deep down. It's what motivates virtually everything they do, from how they dress, to how they speak, to how they engage in relationships. Relationships, for the most part, are the greatest source of stress and anxiety for people with NPD, since they are terrified that the other person will uncover the dark secret, of who they "really" are (ie. abject, worthless, helpless, horrible, ugly, no-good, etc.). That's why no one can get very close to narcissists. It's a terribly vicious cycle for them, marked by an unbridled, emotionally needy, hyper-vulnerable core, but endlessly encased inside of a Teflon shell. The loveless person inside will never allow his or her shield down for long enough, to actually deal with the heart of the matter---which is the overwhelming loss and despair of a neglectful and (often) abusive childhood.

So, there's a difference between narcissistic tendencies, and pathological narcissism. I highly doubt you are narcissistic (in the unhealthy sense), because almost every individual who suffers from NPD, will also die that way---it is a notoriously difficult condition to treat.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Elitist, a bit.
I think I scored average in narcissism on this test Personality Disorder Test (Apparently I am more eccentric than anything else :p)
thanks for the link!

Here are my results:
Paranoid 82%
Schizoid 82%
Schizotypal 90%
Antisocial 50%
Borderline 38%
Histrionic 46%
Narcissistic 30%
Avoidant 42%
Dependent 18%
Obsessive-Compulsive 18%

Eccentric Personality Disorders: Paranoid, Schizoid, Schizotypal

Individuals with these disorders often appear odd or peculiar.

Paranoid Personality Disorder - individual generally tends to interpret the actions of others as threatening.
Schizoid Personality Disorder - individual generally detached from social relationships, and shows a narrow range of emotional expression in various social settings.
Schizotypal Personality Disorder - individual is uncomfortable in close relationships, has thought or perceptual distortions, and peculiarities of behavior.

There's a whole lot wrong with me, but narcissistic? Nope.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts