Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the title. I've noticed that people in my life who are "car people" seem to be overwhelmingly Thinkers, and I'm curious what PerC thinks.

When I ask if you're a car person, I'm asking if you're the kind of person who knows car brand names and models, thinks about what kind they would like, etc. But also, I'm asking if you're the kind of person who treats their car with respect and understanding: you maintain it (mostly) by yourself, and you feel like you understand the inner workings of cars more than the average joe.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Literally don't care.

All I know is that Lamborghinis look sweet, therefore I want one. Beyond that, nothing.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
:tongue:

ln all seriousness, l'm sure you could find INTP exceptions. l've even seen INTJs who can rival ISTP's with their Se skills.

l will never forget the day l saw an INTP assemble an lkea desk backwards :laughing: (not saying l have anything on him).

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've loved cars all my life. Not formula one, not so much the recent releases, so to speak. But as a 6 year old I used to stare into the distance at cars guessing their make and model and all that. Many moons later, I still do things like match up the length of two cars against each other - measuring the front and back bumpers with a kind of side view length-off.
Aside from classic cars, which I love (because there are so many, almost lost to be discovered from the past), 80's and 90's cars I love also, cause I grew up around them.

The fascination has dwindled a touch in recent years, but I'm sure it will be back

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I honestly could care less about cars, so long as they get me where I need to be and aren't a major gas guzzler.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've only had an interest in sports cars, specifically Corvettes. Any other car I could care less about. I love when some guy tries telling me about the engine of his truck, like dude I really don't care it's a truck.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've only had an interest in sports cars, specifically Corvettes. Any other car I could care less about. I love when some guy tries telling me about the engine of his truck, like dude I really don't care it's a truck.
"Look at my new exhaust and transmission system, it's a beauty. The horsepower is...hey are ya still listening?"

Another reason why ISTPs tend to hate us. "'Dem goddamn nerds don't know what they're missin', this car here is a vixen!" :laughing:

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,286 Posts
I like nice cars, I don't like to work on my own car at all.
Had I chosen it as a career I'm sure I'd be a good mechanic however the reason I didn't choose it as a career is I don't like the retarded amount of smashing yourself into crawl spaces and hurting your hands turning a wrench, etc.

I would probably be more interested in diagnosis initially and then I'd probably get interested in modifications and optimization.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I only care whether a car is dependable or not.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Not really. I mean, I could maybe see being interested specifically in the engine or motor or whatever, but I'm not a car person. It just matters that it goes and gets good mileage. Also I hate driving.

It also sucks because I'm going for a Mechanical Engineering degree. Everyone else is all obsessed with cars. What am I doing.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I really couldn't care less. It frustrates the hell out of my dad because he thinks taking a vehicle to the mechanic is a waste of money when you can just do it yourself. He's tried to teach me how to change the oil in my car so many times, yet I still couldn't do it on my own. :laughing:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used to... was one of my intense "phases" for about 2 years, mostly european luxury cars. Then I got over it. I think after I got a few tickets I realized.... well what's the point if you can't drive fast? That and fantasizing over something that current budgets do not allow you to have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nope. I give zero f**ks about cars. I've never been interested enough to attempt to learn more about cars. They get me from here to there. That is all I really care about.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Not really. I mean, I could maybe see being interested specifically in the engine or motor or whatever, but I'm not a car person. It just matters that it goes and gets good mileage. Also I hate driving.

It also sucks because I'm going for a Mechanical Engineering degree. Everyone else is all obsessed with cars. What am I doing.
l see it as ''hard mechanics'' versus soft, but soft not meaning easier necessarily. The areas of game design, computer science and related skills to me, being more soft but still mechanical.

Some people naturally excel in both, but l find a lot of people who are good with cars don't seem to carry those skills over to computers, it's like they just don't have the same approach and are maybe actually too hands-on to be soft mechanic people.

l'll never be able to understand why learning something like MySQL is difficult for someone, for example, but l will never be able to (or have the desire) to fix a doorknob :cool:

l'd say a lot of tech-related skill for me though, is more rote-memorization.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm, I think compared to the general population, there's actually a decent amount of INTPs here with at least some interest in cars. And yes, having a thing for Corvettes qualifies in my book.

And yes, I realize that if I were to ask some ST types, I might get an ever greater percentage, but that wasn't really the dimension I was interested in.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts