Personality Cafe banner

Are you a frickin' slob?

[INTP] 
Tags
intp
2K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Ammar 28 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is your shit always a mess? Do you even care?

#4 ·
The way to get things done is simply to make them a priority. Be realistic about it. Do you want to live in a mess? If not, make some changes (e.g. set aside cleaning time each day), and you will see the improvement. Work out how much improvement you want and put that amount of time/ effort/ money into it. The only thing I can think of that it comes down to is, are you going to prioritise it? Important, unimportant or somewhere in between?

Personally I like to make it a priority because I've seen how rewarding it is (not breathing in so much dust is actually quite nice) plus I've realised that I either have to do a little bit each day or I have to waste full days cleaning and on those days won't get the things done that I want to get done. There's really no way to actually get out of it in the end, and if I space it out then it can be relatively tidy all the time which also gives me more time for other things because I'm not forever wasting time sorting through mess looking for lost items.

#5 ·
I finally did my dishes because I needed a spoon. Also I caught myself eating cereal out of a large metal mixing bowl. Jeez, why didn't I just do the dishes two weeks ago??

#7 ·
I especially hate doing the dishes. Scrubbing off caked on dirt and grime off pans is the worst so after cooking I wash them while they're still hot and I generally will clean up after myself but the other slobs and sloths in this household don't seem to be on the same page about this so I can't clean up half the time due to lack of clearance. I don't spend much time in the kitchen so I don't care either way/

#9 ·
Yes, I'm a frickin' slob.
At least when it comes to my surroundings I'm a grade A slob.
Almost never clean in my home, and I hate cleaning.
If I travel somewhere, it takes less then a day and shit's all over the room, that was clean when I moved in.

I do care. But almost exclusively due to other people having a lot higher standard than me. It would be nice to be able to spontaneously invite people home. I rarely do.
It happened often when I was younger, like around 18, when I lived in an apartment in the center of my home town, obviously being a popular hang out place for the friend circle (drinking age is 18 here, so being close to the town center at that age was golden). I didn't care the slightest back then. A wore the slob badge with pride, as no one managed to be as slobby as me.

I wish that part of me had matured though, as I started to care more about what other thinks. Skipping inviting people over, even dropping potential one night stands before it got to close to a literal home run, as I knew that run to my home would most likely change to a even faster run home to her with disgust on her face.
I honestly think that has had quite a larger effect on my sexlife and by extension my romantic life. I've been slow to realize it - but still, I really fucking hate cleaning, and not one single cell in my body is organized so it doesn't stay clean very long at all after cleaning.

tldr: I'm a slob. I like living in mess. Dislikes cleaning. But wish I wasn't a slob due to social demands of certain levels of clean/tidy homes.

I'm good at hygiene though, clean body and clean clothes are important and easy for me thank god.

#10 ·
I really want to say no, but my house is now a construction zone filled with partly done jobs and boxes strewn about because there aren't enough closets (Not even a utility closet....) and I'm overwhelmed so even less gets done than usual...
and I don't really notice it.

So yes, huge fucking slob

#11 ·
As INTPs we probably look past a lot (as one poster said, if it isn't bothering me I don't care), which attributes more to clutter (in others opinions), which some can say is slovenly. Also, those with stronger Si are probably more organized and clean than others. Whereas an Se would have cleanliness for the outward expression it brings (and so people can come over and tell them how wonderful they are), an INTP would pretty much leave things as they are, as long as it's not disrupting the rest of us.

#12 ·
I've recently arranged for someone to clean my place 4 hours a week, and it's working out very well. I am bothered by dirty or disorganized environments, when I fucking notice them. It's never come natural for me, to be oriented in my present moment enough to notice as little things fall out of place or need maintenance, and keeping any kind of routine schedule as well. Yet, I find that when my environment is clean, aesthetically pleasing and well functioning, I feel and function better. I just wish I had hired out some of the work sooner. It's really not that expensive at all, and I still do clean and keep up on things, but I like someone to come in and do more intensive cleaning and particular problem areas (laundry builds up, the tub, floors, specific areas of organization like the garage, basement and closets, etc.) The reason I held off for so long includes an underlying belief that it is just fucking lazy and dysfunctional to not do these tasks for ones self (I had 1 very Si parent who still takes great pride I doing these tasks, which created an ideal that I be the same, and I'm not...)

Also had some conflict with my privacy being invaded, more personal info exposed and even a little bit of 'judgement' as silly as that is. I just took my time and found the right person.

… not an NT

#13 ·
Yeah, at least when it comes to my external environment. I will alphabetize my entire bookshelf but leave my clothes thrown all over the floor and procrastinate chores that involve cleaning. I'm usually surrounded by clutter too, by choice, and it's not just random shit piled everywhere. There's a method to it. I'm meticulous with personal hygiene though.

#19 ·
All slobs except me so far unless I've missed someone.

I just function better being clean and I'm sure everyone else would also if they actually tried it for a bit. It's really quite illogical to live in mess cause it never cleans itself so you have to do it at some point and why live in mess almost all the time when you could stay ahead of the mess and live in a clean and tidy environment almost all the time? I used to live in utter chaos when I was younger. Maybe I just used to be busier than I am now. But I was also less productive than I am now, so maybe I was busy but not as productive and now productive so less busy.

#15 ·
I am definitely a slob, and to say it rubs neatfreaks the wrong way is an understatement. Looking at the cluttered state of my room and my art studio sums it up. I manage to wear my food when it's meal or snacktime or wearing my paint. My art teacher says clothing with paint stains on them is a sign that art has been created. Also, my school supplies and my general thought process. I am a packrat and don't want to let go of any scarp of paper or my drawings so it builds up.

I've gotten better with organization but when life gets chaotic, so does my stuff, and people can usually tell I'm a slob off the bat, I give off those vibes.

#18 ·
I would say im a medium amount of messy. I hate all kinds or cleaning and decluttering and I honestly ignore clutter most of the time. I only notice that I have clutter when I go to other peoples houses and see the difference.
This was a huge problem in college and my roomates standards of "cleanliness" were nothing like mine. (And I was much cleaner then than I am now). I went through so many roomates and they always were assholes about it to the point of almost fist fighting. I had to leave my apartment many times to avoid their negative attitude. I had no idea why they hated me until later. I thought I was being clean by cleaning up after myself and cleaning the bathroom every other week and we took turns.
I started hiring someone to clean our house in the past 2 years and it has been the best idea I had in a long time. But they dont do dishes or laundry. None of the cleaning services do. So that piles up along with clutter. My parents notice when they come over. We have a nanny and when she first started, I think she was a bit judgmental about that too. But I think she got over it.
It annoys me that other people still that the mentality that I should do all the cleaning and housework because Im female. I work full time and have a daughter. I dont have time to keep up with that. And I dont apologize for that or feel guilty anymore. I have other priorities.
So I try to keep up a little with laundry and dishes but yes, there is usually some diahes and laundry not done most of the time.
Personal hygiene wise, Im average I think (for a working mom). I dont shower every day. Probably every other day. But I dont stink and my clothes are clean. I do my hair. So thats good enough for me.

#22 ·
hmmm, like 1 time clothing wearers, still smelling of bounce and soap, no stains, no dirt, in the laundry hamper waiting for a rewash.

as an INTP:

Smell the pits, look for stains.

if none, then proceed to hang back up, or toss in the second vanity sink (that you installed to someday have it used by another person and hopefully that does not include the next owners).

if some, then how bad of smell, visual is it?
1. still ok, refer back to previous
2. it's bad...
2.1 how bad is it? etc..
2.2 procrastinate and then procrastinate some more, like the bad beating never stops.
2.3 every other possibility... argh
3. FML, I HAVE to clean it now. I could be doing something else rather then pressing the damn buttons on the washing machine.

#23 ·
I'm not slobby. In fact I'm pretty good at keeping things in order.

Not ultra pristine "everything in its place" orderly though. That sort of lifestyle makes me feel creeped out, like I'm not allowed to touch anything. My idea of being not-a-slob is to just keep on top of chores. Dishes washed every day, right after eating. Clothes washed as soon as my dirty clothes basket is full. Keep surfaces acceptably clear. That kind of thing.

I also joined a gym recently too, which is a whole new level of non-slobbery for me. I had no choice though. My new job is completely sedentary, I walk less than 10 minutes to the office then sit on a chair all day. So the gym was a must. So I go to the gym twice a week now. And on weekends I try to get out hiking.

So no I am not a slob.

#24 ·
"slob" is a big, general word, depending on views.

i barley own anything, so when i have a few things out of place, it shows.

i will admit, 1 time, i DID NOT wipe my dog's paws when she came in, she was so muddy and tracked all over the old carpet. i decided that night i was not going to do anything, just let it dry and vacuum it. it was a good test

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.