Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking.. as infp's we are capable of being very passionate of our emotions because of our Fi dom. And one would think we are all hugs and teddy bears full of love.. but I've realized that I can be just as passionate about my negative emotions as well. I feel like that I could be the kindest person in the world, unless I've been crossed in some way that would trigger my anger and loathing. Now I believe that person who can love greatly can also hate just as strongly. People and life aren't one sided and there's a balance to everything. Sometimes I play with the ideA that I could be this infamous/sidious entity and it scares me that I may have more bad than good in me.

So would you say you're more of a "good guy" or more of a "bad guy" and why?

·
Sweet Matrimony.
ENTJ 8w7 so/sx
7,160 Posts
I think the beauty of INFP's is that they have the power to be the bad guy, but they choose not to.
You guys love with the intensity of a thousand suns, and you know that when your Fi values are crossed, you can also hate with the burning passion of a thousand suns but sometimes you choose not to.

That kind of strength is amazing. INFP guys are the best :3

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well said, I know exactly what your talking about. I could hate and hold grudges all day long in my younger years, I got to a point where I realized being kind, loving and happy felt way better then being angry and hateful so I just stopped letting people have that power over me. Now I try to surround myself with people who bring out the best in me or inspire me to be a better person.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well said, I know exactly what your talking about. I could hate and hold grudges all day long in my younger years, I got to a point where I realized being kind, loving and happy felt way better then being angry and hateful so I just stopped letting people have that power over me. Now I try to surround myself with people who bring out the best in me or inspire me to be a better person.
I like your outlook and lately I haVe been trying to gravitate towards people who make me feel good, which is working out well. But it seems there will always be at least one person that you cant escape that just has this negative influence on you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was bullied as a kid for being different. Something I'm sure many INFPs can relate to. I just wasn't like any of the other kids. When I was a teenager, I figured I must have been one of the "bad guys" and went through a very rebellious streak. I did a lot of hard drugs and disappointed a lot of people. I grew up thinking that it was ok to treat myself poorly because everyone else did. But hurting other people is where I drew the line. Letting down the people I care about most hurt more than all of the childhood scars. I stopped using, went back to school, and got my life together.

Looking back on my childhood, I can see now that I was just a good guy being tormented by a bunch of bad guys. I'll always choose to be the good guy.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Nah, I always wanted to be a good man. I refuse to let bitterness about things turn me and even when I'm mad I don't wish to be childish and let myself be swayed by revenge.
I've always been this way, for me it's often easier to forget and forgive than to sit twisted about something. If it's a consistent problem then i'll seek to solve it but I'll usually move on. I actually remember getting an award for forgiveness in grade 4 and teacher made a short speech to the class about me.

I like to think that in the worst of times I can maintain my moral integrity when others lose there's. I see no appeal in being bad and I rather not lose control to anger.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I was bullied as a kid for being different. Something I'm sure many INFPs can relate to. I just wasn't like any of the other kids. When I was a teenager, I figured I must have been one of the "bad guys" and went through a very rebellious streak. I did a lot of hard drugs and disappointed a lot of people. I grew up thinking that it was ok to treat myself poorly because everyone else did. But hurting other people is where I drew the line. Letting down the people I care about most hurt more than all of the childhood scars. I stopped using, went back to school, and got my life together.

Looking back on my childhood, I can see now that I was just a good guy being tormented by a bunch of bad guys. I'll always choose to be the good guy.
This is why I like this website, stories like this make me feel really good. Stong beautiful souls like you inspire me to always do better and be better. Thank you, you should be proud of who you are and how far you've come.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I know there are people who despise me. To them I am a bad guy. What happened in some of those cases was they crossed a line I could not abide and I let them know. How they react to that is not something I can control, so I try to put it behind me once it happens. It's pretty rare though, and I don't like myself when I am doing it or in the immediate aftermath. I guess I can be pretty brutal. Mostly I'm as playful as an otter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know there are people who despise me. To them I am a bad guy. What happened in some of those cases was they crossed a line I could not abide and I let them know. How they react to that is not something I can control, so I try to put it behind me once it happens. It's pretty rare though, and I don't like myself when I am doing it or in the immediate aftermath. I guess I can be pretty brutal. Mostly I'm as playful as an otter.
Yeah, I feel the same way when I let someone know that they crossed me. But if I didnt,my anger would build up and I would be unhappy. Also, they would probably keep doing it.

Reactions: telepariah

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
I've always wanted to be good and been attracted to goodness, and really haven't found it hard to be a 'goodie two-shoes' ...I just rarely feel tempted by things (and consider myself lucky in this). I certainly won't claim to be perfect, and I can't garuntee that there are no cirumstances under which I could be turned bad, but it seems highly unlikely considering how empathetic I feel toward others, especially in person - I don't like the idea of harming others, and I'm the sort of person who holds on to hope for even the most depraved people to be able to turn over a new leaf. I do find that forgiveness seems to come pretty naturally, and I feel very thankfull and blessed for this. It takes someone being unreasonable and unkind first for me to react with harshness toward someone, I'd have to be driven to desperation before I'd actively try to hurt anyone.

I do think an INFP (or perhaps IN__s?) might find it easier than some other types, psychologically speaking, to mentally separate themselves from other people enabling them to close themselves off to the empathy they might feel because they've recategorized these people in their mind as some other kind of lower being - since we often feel so different from others to begin with, and often feel that others have always been hostile to us (which to some extent is probably the truth though not necessarily as much as we may feel) which causes resent and further mental separation. IF a bitter INFP could overcome procratination and distraction (and their empahy) I can imagine them being very 'driven' in a cruel cause which they believed to be a righteous or justified one. Though I imagine it would be relatively unlikely for them to gain power and minions on their own from scratch, but if handed power I could see them making choices from afar where they can't see the harm they are doing while living in a bubble of self-righteousness and willful ignorance. I do think that an INFP villian would still be very concerned with beliving themselves to be justified in their actions, rather than being the type who does things simply because they can. With an INFP I think it's most likely that they'd neeeeed to have a goodguy-badguy distinction in their head, even when acting self-servingly so that they believe the victims deserved what they got. I don't think they'd be likely to go for the old line "there is no right and wrong, only power".

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I consider myself being a "good guy" but sadly a huge vice of mine is laziness (and maybe sometimes I'm arrogant?) and I shun people that I don't consider decent. I also test / consider myself lawful good (but I sometimes test chaotic neutral... but I agree with lawful good). I've been accused of being "dark" (Enneagram 5 maybe?) in a sense that I can focus on displeasant sides of life and I identify very much with the emotion of sadness (I am happy though) and anger (a huge motivator for me).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have "good guy" streaks, and I really do try to stick with the high road, but I am inevitably repelled by routine and responsibility, angered by mindless conformity, and enticed by the subversive. What's a girl to do?

GOOD GIRLS GO TO HEAVEN
BAD GIRLS GO EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm like a good cop in a movie who breaks the rules to get results :tongue: I have very little respect for social conventions. I'm willing to fight dirty, if it's necessary. I'm dedicated to doing what I personally feel is right, but tend not to let other people influence what that is, unless they put up a good argument.

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
I'm like Captain Hook from Peter Pan; my entire life revolves around hate. Isn't life boring without something--or someone--to hate? :tongue: Hate gives life so much drama and excitement, doesn't it? :tongue:

·
Registered
559 Posts
I seem too be a 'good' guy for the most part, but only I know the dark that does exist at times. Usually it manifests as intense jealousy, though it's always internalised usually by some fantasy of me having an edge over the situation. I wish to keep being the good guy though, as that's what I externalise, and people see me as a very 'bright eyed' and gentle person.

Small Tangent. While I'm seen as that gentle person, my hobbies include amongst others... Martial arts, drumming, and archery. I'm really not sure how I'm seen as gentle :\

·
MOTM January 2013
10,622 Posts
I don't know if I reside in either good or bad terms. Id like to just consider myself to be real if anything, we all make mistakes, i've given up trying to be the ultimate role model of perfection. I just am.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts