Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago, I was asked by my boss to give a presentation to a group of 50 people. It went very well and I was asked to do another, then another, and now they've shifted some of my work to colleagues, most of whom are not ENTPs and hate public speaking, and asked me to do a lot more presentations, to groups as large as 200 people.

I had no idea I'd be any good at this, but when I saw a video of one of my speeches, I noticed how I was a lot more animated than my co-workers, and half of what I was saying was unscripted, which I think makes it more interesting and lively.

Seems like this is a lot of Ne at work, and in my group I'm only the Ne-dom. Just wondering if you are also good at this.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I kick ass at it. I have no fear of public speaking whatsoever, and I genuinely enjoy being up on the stage.

Agreed, unscripted is better. As long as I know the ideas I want to get across and in some relative order, as well as a some jokes to throw in, then I'm set to go.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Very good, I love the thrill of it. Especially when being non-prepared. Just give me a general idea of what it is about and i will instantly make up a story about it.

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm gonna give a rough estimate and say 86% of ENTPs rock at public speaking. 10% just haven't honed their skills yet, and the other 4 % are the exception.

As long as I have any idea about what I'm talking about, it's a piece of cake. With buttercream icing. Mmmm...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm told I am good. That I am calm, I make things sound basic, and I use good body language.

Haha, I feel like wreck up there tho. My mine gos 305983409637 miles an hour. "Oh I could a said this... darn I should have tied that back into this.... Ugh I said Um":crazy:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I did pretty well in high school forensics.
I ended up going to Nationals my senior year in Student Congress (an event that I hadn't even competed in for two years until Districts that year).

As for my recent public speaking pursuits...communication is one of my majors, so I give a lot of speeches.
I prefer to speak impromptu or extemporaneously than from memorization or manuscript.
I usually feel that my speeches are somewhat unorganized and repetitive, or that I move around too much or use too many gestures, however.

It never fails to surprise me when people tell me I am persuasive or a dynamic speaker.
How can I be persuasive when my speeches do not always follow a traditional model of persuasion? :confused:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm pretty okay with public speaking. I don't get nervous, but instead I have a tendency to get really excited about a topic and speak too fast; this is true even when not in a speech-giving setting. I'm still working on pacing. :D If I know I have to give a speech, I still wing most of it but I'll probably write a few notes so I don't forget to touch on a subject.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm fairly good at it I think - due in no small part to my dad who did lots of it for his job and taught me quite a bit - but I tend to get excited and talk a bit too fast which is a problem. But I'm getting better at it. But yeah apparently naturally quite good, especially in being entertaining and engaging.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
a true ENTP'ish public speaker. listen and learn!

skip to around 1:00, before i have to give speeches or lecture people, i watch charismatic public speakers and sometimes anime.Politics also does the trick. Notice the body language. The facial expressions..perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6wcw5jWRhc

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Not really. My communication style is more conversational. I don't like talking to a wall of people that don't give me any feedback. I do some improv comedy and I've always been better at conversation and repartee rather than monologues.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As long as I don't feel unnecessary pressure, I'm pretty good at it. I'm an animated speaker and I automatically come off as a very happy, enthusiastic and sincere person - plus, my goofy jokes mostly make people laugh. I don't do well with unscripted, though: I get nervous and screw up. And I get sidetracked without a script, A LOT.

·
Registered
293 Posts
In college I was known for never preparing for presentations and basically bs'ing my way through 10-15 minute presentations like it was my job. It was fun and I loved getting to just go in and wing it. I think our biggest benefit as ENTP's has a lot to do with our natural ability to present as well as our ability to read the crowd, get a good feeling for our audience and play to those strengths. Ntm Im sure our narcissistic tendencies make us very open to being the center of attention.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I know what you mean about being animated in your speaking. I've noticed I'm very good at getting ideas across to others, whether they're actually grasping the content or not. If you talk in a monotonous, emotionless voice people are probably less likely to want to listen to you even if you're more knowledgeable than someone who seems passionate about it. I personally think that's asinine that your tone of voice and "assumed" confidence level can dictate how others perceive your ideas.

I remember when I was in middle school I did my first real presentation and I thought I was terrible and my shyness was obvious, but when I was finished my teacher said it was the best presentation so far. When I'm public speaking I tend to not consciously think about what I'm saying, it just comes out.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I suck at it since I have social anxiety. It is gone for the most part.... but the times that I do not feel fully prepared... it kicks in with a vengeance...... I just go blank and read straight off the PowerPoint. The times I do feel fully prepared, people tend to say I do really well.

On that note... I tend to not do good in presentations where I am not interested in the subject at all. If I like the subject and I am a little knowledgeable in it, I will do ok.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Yep, I'm pretty great at talking in front of people. It's how I got involved in theater.
I learned pretty early in life though, just from reading things out-loud in elementary school. It drove me absolutely crazy when people read in a monotone. They were so unaware of how boring they were. Then once in a reading group in third grade I read the section of the book I was told to, I was like third or something, and my teacher says "I could hug you" and compliments me on how expressive I was.
I also won a speech contest in fifth grade, against all other fifth-grade students. That was fun.

It could have something to do with Ne, but I think it's more closely linked with whatever makes us so arrogant. Or Self confident if you prefer. We trust that what we're doing isn't stupid, and when we talk we don't focus on what people are thinking we focus on what we're saying, and can actually get into it.
Typically people with lower self confidence will not make eye-contact, speak quietly, and rush through it.
We don't do that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm pretty good at it and lately have had to make some pretty big presentations in front of some pretty influential people at work but I definitely need an outline of some sort or I get completely derailed. I don't really feel fear or anxiety about it I just wander off on some random tangent. Honestly, I much prefer a question and answer format as it's more like a conversation that way.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,600 Posts
I took a public speaking class, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had a really good professor and there was a lot that I learned.

I'm not usually good at public speaking though. I know what I want to say in my head, I have the concept, but presenting it in words in front of people is a challenge for me. I've learned a lot of tips from my class, and I've improved, but it was something that had to be learned. Condensing the information to be a certain amount of time certainly was a helpful tip. With certain topics, if I'm interested, I can go on and on, and bore people. To get to that point, I need to be warmed up and comfortable first.

I find that when it was a topic that I was knowledgable about, presenting the information comes more naturally to me, and my guard goes down. I am excited to present if I'm overall prepared, and it's something I want to share with the world. One topic that I was excited to share in my class was the topic of PitBulls being misjudged as a dog breed by the general public.

I do have to be prepared in advanced if it's formal public speaking.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
If I have to be.

If something needs to be said then it needs to be said.
I wont volunteer but I certainly will not shy away.

Rest on two items.
One: If no one else has said what needs to be said.
Two: If the people I am speaking to actually hear
what I am saying.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If we are talking about prepared public speeches and presentations, I'm good at it as long as it is a topic I feel comfortable enough with. I get more excited and nervous to do my presentations.

If you are talking about answering/asking questions in school or a work meeting, I have no issue at all even if I do not fully understand the topic. It never occurred to me as a kid to be embarrassed when being called on in school and just giving my best guess to a question, even if it was wrong.

I agree completely with @FueledByEvil in that I only speak up if there is something that hasn't been said that needs to and I hate speaking when the people aren't really listening or taking it in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts