Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
INTJ
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a looot of things I want to do. I have lists of things I want to buy. I have lists of things I want to watch.

But I seldom get around to doing most of them, I tend to procrastinate and set a standard too high.

I think I only really work on something with unwavering determination/perseverance if that thing is of utmost importance to me or I really have to finish it very soon because I've set a deadline.

I'm so lazy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I often spend more time reflecting on things than actually doing them. As far as I know that's a pretty common INTJ problem.
I don't consider myself lazy though. I simply don't care about mundane, pointless things.

And in my opinion everything is pointless and most things you can do in life are rather mundane.
For that reason I only do things I personally find interesting and worth the effort. Everything else is irrelevant to me and I refuse to pay even a sliver of attention to it.

I was never excited by the prospect of a normal life. It's either greatness or nothing, as I would rather be dead than live a normal boring life.

I'm sure some people would call me lazy for that very reason. I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I often spend more time reflecting on things than actually doing them. As far as I know that's a pretty common INTJ problem.
I don't consider myself lazy though. I simply don't care about mundane, pointless things.

And in my opinion everything is pointless and most things you can do in life are rather mundane.
For that reason I only do things I personally find interesting and worth the effort. Everything else is irrelevant to me and I refuse to pay even a sliver of attention to it.

I was never excited by the prospect of a normal life. It's either greatness or nothing, as I would rather be dead than live a normal boring life.

I'm sure some people would call me lazy for that very reason. I'm fine with that.
You would rather be dead than live a normal boring life. Man, if you were me, you'd be dead already. I am constantly bored of everything around me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You would rather be dead than live a normal boring life. Man, if you were me, you'd be dead already. I am constantly bored of everything around me.
I'm pretty sure I'm bored most of the time as well, but I've decided I'm going to fix that. I'l plotting my future so I can live the life I truly want. Exciting to me doesn't mean going out, doing dangerous things and attending parties.

These are some of the things I find personally exciting: Self-discovery, self-education, spending quality time with close friends, inventions and self-actualization.

Most of the fun I have happens inside of my own head and I need a very low budget for it.
I would like to encourage you to spend more time finding your passion. Being bored all of the time is not the default state of mind you should be in.

You're probably bored because you are lost. There's a chance you don't have a goal in life, which wouldn't really be a problem if you weren't so goal oriented thanks to your INTJ nature. Everything will fall into place with time and once you find your passion I'm sure you'll work on it 24/7 with great tenacity and be satisfied with the product.

I wish you the very best.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
I have a looot of things I want to do. I have lists of things I want to buy. I have lists of things I want to watch.

But I seldom get around to doing most of them, I tend to procrastinate and set a standard too high.

I think I only really work on something with unwavering determination/perseverance if that thing is of utmost importance to me or I really have to finish it very soon because I've set a deadline.

I'm so lazy.
I don't know about you, but for me personally, I'm like that when I don't care about what it is I "need to do", or if I don't see any value in it. Public school was awful for me that way, and I procrastinated so much there. I'm an incredibly hard worker, and I plan vigorously as well. I get things done in a punctual, systematic manner, but only when I care.

Do you care about the things that you "need to do"?

I can't be motivated without caring about the thing itself.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure I'm bored most of the time as well, but I've decided I'm going to fix that. I'l plotting my future so I can live the life I truly want. Exciting to me doesn't mean going out, doing dangerous things and attending parties.

These are some of the things I find personally exciting: Self-discovery, self-education, spending quality time with close friends, inventions and self-actualization.

Most of the fun I have happens inside of my own head and I need a very low budget for it.
I would like to encourage you to spend more time finding your passion. Being bored all of the time is not the default state of mind you should be in.

You're probably bored because you are lost. There's a chance you don't have a goal in life, which wouldn't really be a problem if you weren't so goal oriented thanks to your INTJ nature. Everything will fall into place with time and once you find your passion I'm sure you'll work on it 24/7 with great tenacity and be satisfied with the product.

I wish you the very best.
I have decided I like your thinking.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know about you, but for me personally, I'm like that when I don't care about what it is I "need to do", or if I don't see any value in it. Public school was awful for me that way, and I procrastinated so much there. I'm an incredibly hard worker, and I plan vigorously as well. I get things done in a punctual, systematic manner, but only when I care.

Do you care about the things that you "need to do"?

I can't be motivated without caring about the thing itself.
I don't think I would bother making lists that include those things if I didn't care. I guess they're just not.. particularly important. I just feel.. too lazy.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
you've just reminded me of when the little i/entj i used to work with decided that i needed improvement and guidance from her, and started blighting my life by trying to nag and critique me. her presumptuousness was kind of awe-inspiring considering she's only a handful of years older than my own son.

that was one of her big ones: my lack of what she considered worthwhile 'productivity' outside the work world. 'what do you do all the time? you never do anything. . .you could do anything . . . ' i told her there's always something going on in my head and i'm not really interested in doing stuff just for the sake of demonstrating that i've done them. she clearly considered that a very inadequate kind of reply, and i wasn't surprised when she re-tested in a less turbulent phase of her life and announced she was an e, not an i. she had 'latent ceo' written all over her, but that's not my kind of thing. i like having ideas, but they just provide me with a menu of stuff to choose from. they're not commitments to actually do any of them. i'd feel very trapped and pressured if i felt like i had to do everything that i've ever thought of. in fact i'd probably be more likely to stop having ideas than i would be to try and step up my 'productive' level.

the only thing i keep a watch on is making sure i don't turn into one of those magical thinker types who can't tell the difference between intention and execution. i've met people who were so full of shit they could float, in that way. the type who really think that just because they once thought about doing a phd in [fill in the blank] that meant they actually were phd's in [fill in the blank]. there's 'lazy', and then there's 'loser'.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
I don't think I would bother making lists that include those things if I didn't care. I guess they're just not.. particularly important. I just feel.. too lazy.
What I more-so mean is, do you enjoy doing those things and see value in doing them?

Also, when you say you feel too lazy, do you mean to say that you don't have the energy?

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
I'm a list person. Every Sunday I make a comprehensive list of everything I wish to accomplish for the week and on which days. And every week I end up ignoring 75% of the list because practically I can't get to all of it.

I think a lot of the time being a procrastinator is being a realist...it's setting realistic goals amongst a list of unrealistic goals. Being a procrastinator is actually a useful skill towards working in management because you learn to prioritize by necessity.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I more-so mean is, do you enjoy doing those things and see value in doing them?

Also, when you say you feel too lazy, do you mean to say that you don't have the energy?
Hmm. I do enjoy those, not sure about the value part.

Lazy as in yes, would rather sit and read or something.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

IGNORE THIS. I thought my reply failed to post so I did it again, and now..

·
Registered
INTJ
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a list person. Every Sunday I make a comprehensive list of everything I wish to accomplish for the week and on which days. And every week I end up ignoring 75% of the list because practically I can't get to all of it.

I think a lot of the time being a procrastinator is being a realist...it's setting realistic goals amongst a list of unrealistic goals. Being a procrastinator is actually a useful skill towards working in management because you learn to prioritize by necessity.
That's a good excuse for procrastinating, well done. Haha!

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I'm not lazy about things I'm interested in (i.e. writing, languages), but can struggle when working on things I just don't find interesting (i.e. writing articles for a tourism booklet as homework).

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
I am extremely lazy. I can't be bothered to do much of anything unless I am really interested in it. I set aside a time period during the week to take care of all the crap I don't want to do and try to be as efficient about it as possible to not waste time. I've really been working on taking care of things early so that I don't have to think about them later and its been helpful overall. I'll always look for the simplest way to maximize my laziness in everything I do. Life is tedious.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
I'm a lazy-ish ISTJ. I relate with a few of the sentiments made in this thread.

I like to plan to do things, and sometimes the planning in my head is good enough...then I never actually do things in real life.

Sometimes when doing things with others, I'll hold back what I really want to do because sometimes when others get involved, it won't turn out quite how I wanted in my head.

Anyways, I wanted to say hi, and the thread caught my eye...

·
Banned
3,255 Posts

I'm so lazy.
Hm...Let me test this theory. Been awake for 4hrs...have studied for 30 mins, 3 days out from my exam. Spent the other 3.5hrs 'researching' wallpaper....Yep it seems I'm pretty lazy too when the priority is low enough (which is often). Lets face it I just like doing stuff I like to do. Studying for my annual exams ain't it.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts