Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My highest form of flattery is imitation and most of my humour comes from miming exaggerating flaws. It's probably my most natural instinct and has a kind of mime tendency. Do you find yourself doing these things?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I tend to mimic others when it comes to things I like about them, which is usually a lot. I tend to look for things I like or admire about someone, and I try to bring that out in myself when I'm around them.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
We're SUPPOSED to mimick them. Not sure if this was coincidence for you TheYellow but the ENFPs often unconscious use of mimicry is famous in the psychology community and is well-documented. Here is an excerpt from "Please Understand Me 2 "

...They will unconsciously take into themselves another's desires or emotions-or what they believe them to be. Such identification can be so close that idealists end up beginning to talk, laugh, and gesture like the other. This mimicry is unconscious. P.141

The article goes on to say we don't actually WANT to copy the other person, it's a result of acute use of intuition and empathy. Oh well, in my experience it causes an almost instant connection with a new person getting them interested in you, feeling comfortable, and willing to talk. Could that be so bad?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh well, in my experience it causes an almost instant connection with a new person getting them interested in you, feeling comfortable, and willing to talk. Could that be so bad?
It could be when the other person feels that connection with us and tries to get closer than we expected them to get. It's like "Oh, hey! I didn't mean it that way... I was just being friendly." Then they tend to get upset because they thought "we were so close." And then it's either awkward or depressing. From my experience, anyway.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Do you mean mirroring? That's a normal human tendency, to establish rapport.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,207 Posts
Yes! I remember being this way ever since I was a kid.

I remember my family laughing whenever I'd mimic something funny.

That attention caused me to mimic even more, which became a natural talent. I only do it off cue though.. it's gottabe spontaneous!

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
It's funny when I hear myself imitating another person. I hear myself using their same voice and words. I'll think "wow. I must have been imitating them for quite a while." The realization is like my conscious meeting my subconscious.

·
Banned
193 Posts
In my case, I'm not a great imitator of vocal imitations, my humor comes more from exposing quirky essences of other people, not accurately imitating them.

However, with mirroring, like other ENFPs, I have really natural mirroring. I know I've been told by an INTP friend of mine that when I get to "work" my body language does relaxation things and so on too that I'm not aware of. I've read about rapport before in body-language books and I think ENFPs do it to an extreme when we aren't on the "be ourselves" boat. Although I feel awkwardly pressured by many Fe-style social conventions, I find I use unconsciously a lot of obvious and subtle body language techniques to show a great deal of rapport. Additionally, yeah, I do it with thoughts and values too! I become way more logical with people who value that, way more feeler and even new-agey with people who value that and so on. If I didn't feel myself I'd have an existential crisis.

The other problem is: I feel really awkward when I don't feel comfortable mirroring the other person. It's this very awkward frozen-like feeling, like I can't control my body the way I want to. I don't know if this is more in common with ENFPs or INFPs but I have a hard time showing when I really don't feel comfortable by what someone's saying or doing.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
Wow! I did a demonstration oh mirroring with all my friends at the same time. They each asked me to mirror a mutual friend and when I did they roared in laughter. I pretty much got all my friends down to a science.:crazy::laughing:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm a complete social chameleon. And I'm absolutely aware of it, but it rather happens on it's own - like goosebumps. I can't control it. Although I can give myself goosebumps if I think about it hard enough. ;)

I pride myself on being a rather well self educated individual, but I work with a motley of hood rats and "gangsta gangsta", so I end up talking pretty trashy by the end of the day. Though, those people are such an opposite to myself, I find myself not talking much at all - in truth, we sincerely don't have much common ground. At all. I can understand and empathize with a lot of them, but I generally have to revert to a 14 year old's mind set if I'm to be on their level. I sound incredibly arrogant here, but I don't mean to - it's just the people I work with. They're a bunch of kids, it would seem. :unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts