Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
What's it like? I'm going to be one soon :)
One of the greatest joys you'll ever experience is holding your first child for the first time. So many things go through your mind as you gaze upon such a tiny creature and you contemplate at that moment all the possibilities. The next most amazing thing will be when your kids grow to be fully functioning adults and you realize you didn't do such a bad job raising them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats! I am a father of a 21 month old boy. Like UpClosePersonal said, holding your child for the first time is like nothing I have ever experienced. Before having a child, I thought I knew exactly what love was. Now I feel love for this kid on a level that is indescribable. Nothing brings me more happiness than seeing joy on his face as he experiences life around him.

With that said, nothing can prepare you for the shock to the system that having a child in your life brings. Socially, financially, logistically... every aspect of your life will change. You are now responsible for another human being. This isn't something you can just tap out of. The sleepless nights before the child sleeps through the night was physically and emotionally taxing. I struggle with worries about milestones, worries of making sure I provide everything they need, worries that my parenting style is not good enough. But, all of this is worth it when I get home from work and hear "daddy" and he runs up to me with a huge smile.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats! I am a father of a 21 month old boy. Like UpClosePersonal said, holding your child for the first time is like nothing I have ever experienced. Before having a child, I thought I knew exactly what love was. Now I feel love for this kid on a level that is indescribable. Nothing brings me more happiness than seeing joy on his face as he experiences life around him.

With that said, nothing can prepare you for the shock to the system that having a child in your life brings. Socially, financially, logistically... every aspect of your life will change. You are now responsible for another human being. This isn't something you can just tap out of. The sleepless nights before the child sleeps through the night was physically and emotionally taxing. I struggle with worries about milestones, worries of making sure I provide everything they need, worries that my parenting style is not good enough. But, all of this is worth it when I get home from work and hear "daddy" and he runs up to me with a huge smile.
Thanks for this. It's very encouraging.
I'll admit, I am nervous for some of the reasons you mentioned. I'm already in the mode where I want to build a solid foundation for my little one (being an infp, it seems particularly challenging), but in the end, if love wins out, everything should work out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for this. It's very encouraging.
I'll admit, I am nervous for some of the reasons you mentioned. I'm already in the mode where I want to build a solid foundation for my little one (being an infp, it seems particularly challenging), but in the end, if love wins out, everything should work out.
Don't stress about it too much (and I need to take my own advice). I was obsessed with figuring out the perfect way to raise a child to be successful, happy, blah blah. I read countless articles and books about it. After a while I realized there were no perfect formulas and going to all the trouble that some parents do sounds like torture for both the parents and the child. The Freakonomics podcast had an episode a few years back talking about just how limited parents are in molding their child. It was an interesting perspective. If you and your SO are good and honest people, chances are your child will be too.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of INFP parents here. Do you think INFPs are less likely to be parents, or parents are less likely to be on PerC? Hmmm...
Good question. It might just take a while for all the INFPs to respond I'm sure there are a lot more parents judging by the number of times I've seen people mention children in their posts. I do think there could be some truth in PerC possibly having less parents, but I'd give it some time before coming to that conclusion.

A thread that you might find interesting is this one http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/50683-introversion-extraversion-family-size.html.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts