Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed and discussed this with an INFJ friend that we each adapt ourselves - our demeanor, our speech, even in an odd kind of way our level of consciousness it seems - to different social situations.

For example, in a conversation with a likeminded enthusiastic student or teacher I will conduct my self very differently than if I was having a conversation with a wondering, hiking-pack-carrying homeless kid in downtown Portland.

I feel that for me to be able to relate with the other person and sometimes to put them at ease I must undergo this shift, this color change.

So, I'm curious, do any of you do this as well? Are you a social chameleon?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I feel that for me to be able to relate with the other person and sometimes to put them at ease I must undergo this shift, this color change.
I like the way you worded that. I feel like we are great at putting others at ease and understanding them.
Getting on their level more than most others would be able to do. A mutual symbiotic understanding is gained between.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I've noticed and discussed this with an INFJ friend that we each adapt ourselves - our demeanor, our speech, even in an odd kind of way our level of consciousness it seems - to different social situations.

For example in a conversation with a likeminded enthusiastic student or teacher I will conduct my self very differently than if I was having a conversation with a wondering, hiking-pack-carrying homeless kid in Downtown Portland.

I fell that for me to be able to relate with the other person and sometimes to put them at ease I must undergo this shift, this color change.

I can relate pretty well to what you have said. I always "adapt" to each social situation so I can relate to different types of people.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I chameleoned so well that I tested first as an ENFP, then as an ENTP - neither of which helped any, and finally as an INTP. Finally came to realize that I was taking the tests at work, and INTP is my current 'work personna'. It's only at home or with really good friends that I can drop the skin and be myself.

And yes, if everyone knew just how fragile I really was, I'd be nothing but chum in a shark tank, so even with friends I have a certain amount of protective shell. I honestly think it's why I have failed to find a decent relationship. The guys latch onto the shell and are hella-surprised when it cracks and there's this marshmallow goo rather than the strong Dom-type woman they thought they were going to sponge off of.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I certainly do this all the time and I notice that it can make me popular at first, but then I'll slip up somewhere down the road. The funny part is I think that I start to blame THEM (in my mind) for me having to be "fake." So I get jaded and stop putting effort into that bond.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah, I do that too.. I can be friends with all different kind of people. I think I just accept (most) people how they are. (with 'most' I mean: except the people who are arrogant and mean and fake(=too happy and spontanious and no personality))
When I talk with different people I do change how I talk and act with different people, like a chameleon.. I also have it after seeing a movie..
:mellow:

I fell that for me to be able to relate with the other person and sometimes to put them at ease I must undergo this shift, this color change.
I do that, yes!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yep, I'm a social chameleon. I won't show my true colors so easily to others; they'd have to know me well enough before that happens. There's no way I'm going to let myself get hurt from carelessly risking exposure unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In college, I had to take interviewing classes for my Social Work major. We would basically just role play a client/counselor scene and get feedback. The first time I ever had to role play as the counselor, my partner had a really good back story prepared and played her role really well as this quiet, handicapped, depressed girl. I got so into the role of her counselor because she was such a good actress that I forgot it was in front of the class. When we were finished the biggest negative critique was that nobody could hear us because we were both talking so softly. In normal circumstances, I have a fairly big voice. I was really shocked to hear that I had been so inaudible. But even though they couldn't hear all of what we were saying, our performance got the highest scores that day and my professor asked how much we had practiced that. Haha, we hadn't even worked on it outside of class.

So, yeah. I have always thought of myself as being like a mirror. I reflect back whatever behaviors and attitudes I see, so I can relate to people on their own levels.

I can also change myself to fit into a role that I'm assigned. When I work with kids I become an ENTJ. Sometimes, when I'm with my friends, they ask me to do my "teacher voice" because it's funny how out of character I act at work.

·
Premium Member
15,405 Posts
On the intronets I can get... oh, let's say a bit *creative* w/my Self, but off The Nets I'm usually on the straight and narrow (not too much chameleon shifting going on).

·
Registered
13 Posts

For example, in a conversation with a likeminded enthusiastic student or teacher I will conduct my self very differently than if I was having a conversation with a wondering, hiking-pack-carrying homeless kid in downtown Portland.

Yes I do this but I'd rather have a consistent style.

For example, when I talk to women, I tend to soften up my voice to match their which is BAD. I rather talk the way I talk to guys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah thats me. I adapt to situations and mimic peoples behavior to blend in. But I also do it because I feel like they are more comfortable with me, like they can relate. Its like Im trying to stop them from reading what Im feeling so I fill the air with static around me. My protective aura comes of when Im with people I can trust though.

I think its this ability thats makes some of us good actors.

Reactions: jasonm

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I even refer to myself as an emotional chameleon. I am like an emotional facedancer. If I am not careful I might even mimic their accents.

I am just thinking, you cant mimic more than one person at a time. Perhaps that is why I prefer one on one situations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can only speak for myself but as an INFP I am totally authentic... 100% genuine... I am who I am no matter who I'm around! I dont act like someone I'm not... I'm just me!

I will however be really quiet around people who arent really on the same wave length as myself... (i'm still me though I'm just not interested in those around me)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts