Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you consider yourself as a workaholic? How workaholic are you? What function is your dominant function? I'm suspecting that most dominant Te users (xxTJ) are workaholics, but I've met other types that workaholic too, so I'm not sure if it had anything to do with type.

My colleagues call me "Lithium battery". I usually works 10 to 16 hours a day. I rarely went home before 6 pm, mostly around 10 pm to 3 am. If I hangout with my friends after work, some times I came back to office to continue working. There are few occasions where my friends yelled at me: "What do you mean you're going back to office to work at 10 pm?! Are you fucking insane?!!!" LOL

This week, last Friday I went home at 3 am, eat, shower, pray, go to work again at 6 am, and then went home at 4 am the next day (Saturday).

So yeah, I think I'm a workaholic.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm not a workaholic, but I do have an awful lot of work to do and I have to keep going until it gets done. Nothing as bad as yours, though! The longest I ever stayed at the office was 12 hours, and now in my current job the worst is reports time when I have to do a full day at school and then spend another 3 hours at home writing reports. I don't ejoy that though and I do look forward to the holidays!
My boss is a REAL workaholic and funnily enough she's an ESTJ the same as you! She gets up at 5 every morning to do stuff round the house,comes in to work about 7, stays til about 6, goes home to see her family for a few hours, then works til midnight, then gets up at 5 to do the whole thing again. In the Easter holidays she was so busy working she didn't even realise a volcano had exploded and stopped flights. Part of the reason I have so much work is because there's sort of an expectation that we will all work as hard as she does...

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
No, not at all. I like to wrap up projects before I go home and to make sure everything is in order, but I can't wait to get out of there. I'm pretty good at assessing whether something can wait until the next day.

However, my uncle is an work-aholic, and I think he's an ESTP, but that's only from my own observations.

Reactions: WickedQueen

·
Registered
791 Posts
Very much so. I love problem solving. Also, my hobby is also my job, so even when I am not "billing" I am still working (in a learning mode).

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Do you consider yourself as a workaholic? How workaholic are you? What function is your dominant function? I'm suspecting that most dominant Te users (xxTJ) are workaholics, but I've met other types that workaholic too, so I'm not sure if it had anything to do with type.
I can't say for sure, but I totally think there's a connection to type. It may not be as simple as "this type is likely to be a workaholic but this type isn't", but I would imagine there's a connection.

SJ's in particular seem to live for work. I think there's definitely a difference in what it does for STJ's and SFJ's, though I'm not exactly sure what it is...I think STJ's get satisfaction out of doing it for the sake of doing it, and SFJ's get satisfaction out of serving other people, even if that's just serving their boss.

I think the J/P aspect of it plays into it as well, just because I think a P would only be a workaholic if they have a job that requires them to bounce around between one thing or another. Like I think about a touring musician or something.

So a lot of it probably relates to what kind of jobs people have. I just think it's easier for an SJ to find a job that they're ok with, or maybe even passionate about. Then they can settle in and get really involved.

I'm an ISFJ, and I don't think I'm really a workaholic...but I'm very passionate about my job, moreso than a number of my coworkers. I'm a high school teacher, so I'm probably around some other SJ's too.I get very emotionally attached to my job and I put a lot of myself into it.

(Also, I have an ESTJ friend who is a major workaholic...biggest one I know).

So again, I don't think there's a simple statement summing up type and work, but I certainly think it plays into it somehow.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a workaholic, though I have had jobs in the past where I would routinely put in 12+ hours a day. At my current job I sometimes do the same, should the workload or whatever projects I have require it. Typically I like to try and get whatever tasks I have completed as quickly and as efficiently as I can, however sometimes my life goes in places where I find myself needing distractions and things to keep myself as occupied as possible. In these situations I'll often work as much as I can in order to simply stay busy.

Whenever these circumstances befall me I often end up burning myself out. In February and March of this year I worked almost every day and was mentally exhausted by the end of it, and that mental exhaustion was affecting me physically as well.

I think one's motivations as to why they are a workaholic correlates more to type than simply being a workaholic in and of itself. Examples-

-Those that work extra because they genuinely enjoy the work that they do and derive satisfaction from it.
-Those that are driven to work more because of some personal ethics; they see extra work as something that has to be done, and it's their responsibility to do it.
-Tangentially related to the previous point are those who put in the extra effort with a specific goal in mind - advancement, being noticed by management, outdoing their coworkers, etc.
-Those who are motivated simply by financial reasons. Extra work = extra money. A majority of my coworkers fall into this category and will often pounce on voluntary overtime solely due to the monetary gain.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hahahahahaha!!!!

This question made me laugh.

Actually, just today, and ESFJ friend was joking around with me:

"Yeah, [sinistralpal], you pretty much don't get up 'til midday do you?"
"Nope."
"Do you even do anything?"
"Nope."
"What about your horse?"
"[My ESTJ landlady] does him. She likes it. Think it makes her feel more in control...she doesn't trust me anyway. Win-win really."
"Does she know that you are pretty much taking the piss out of her?"
"Um, unsure. But yeah, I pretty much take off during the day. Or sleep."
"How do you even survive? Like what are you going to do for a career?"
"Um, well I am fairly decent at selling shit."
"You couldn't sell shit to me! Like...yeah, that rake you are holding. Try selling it to me."
"Dude, you already bought a rake like this from me last winter."
"Oh yeah..."

*ENTP: Figuring out how to do everything that an ESxJ can do in half the time and a quarter of the work. :p *

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
*ENTP: Figuring out how to do everything that an ESxJ can do in half the time and a quarter of the work. :p *
A quarter of the work? That sounds like no fun for an SJ. :tongue:

·
Registered
251 Posts
A quarter of the work? That sounds like no fun for an SJ. :tongue:
So funny. I love how the SJ types just NEED to be busy. "HOW DO YOU SURVIVE JUST SITTING THERE?? DON'T YOU GET BORED??"

ENTP's thrive on sitting around doing fuck all. :p

·
Banned
818 Posts
I'm a playaholic. I rush through work so I can get to the important stuff. :laughing:

Among many other activities, I consider studying fascinating subjects and having insights to be play.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I can be a workaholic as an ISTJ. I end up working to try to make sure all the details are perfect. I feel like I can relax if I have no work. But if I only have a little bit of work I'll probably start stressing out over it. So just give me a ton of work so I don't have time to worry about anything and just end up getting to work.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I can be a workaholic as an ISTJ. I end up working to try to make sure all the details are perfect. I feel like I can relax if I have no work. But if I only have a little bit of work I'll probably start stressing out over it. So just give me a ton of work so I don't have time to worry about anything and just end up getting to work.
Funny...I am constantly telling my ISTJ sister that she needs to take some time for herself...she works way too hard. Good thing she has an ESFP husband to remind her that not everything in life is all work and no play.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts