Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to work out an idea for a new story I want to write. I've got great ideas for the characters and the rough setting but I need to pin down the details, which isn't easy! It's going to be a children's book - a bit steampunky.

I wondered if many of you are writing anything at the moment, and if so, what? Which part of the writing process comes most naturally to you? I'm all right once I get going but getting started and committing to one specific project is taking forever.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm currently writing my second screenplay. The easiest part for me is getting the general outline, where to start and where to finish and the main character and I guess the dialogue. The hard part is filling it up with enough detail to make it 90 to 120 pages and I'm horrible at setting description.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I like to call myself a writer, but, really, the same thing happens over and over again. I get really excited about this idea I get for a story (I keep trying to write novels), and I flesh out most of the outline, develop the characters, write the few parts I'm most excited about, and then... I just never finish.

I wrote a "short story" once, and that sucked. I've done well in writing, but only with non-fiction. People only like my journal-type writing. Oh, well.

Good luck with your story.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I write stories, but I don't even see myself as a writer in a formal sense. I do it for myself and to amuse myself, and I don't write for people because I did show my work to some in the past and its not that good as expected, and I honestly don't like how people tell me how I should write my stories, and censor my imagination. That easily leads to creative blocks for me, plus even though I am not a good writer in the public scene, I still like what I write. I do this to jot down what I fantasize and remember what I think about in my own worlds since I have bad memory as it is.

I have a folder full of unfinished stuff though, but that is because of too many re writes. At least now, I am grounded, and finally I am on my way to finishing a story for once after five years of writing stuff though I still have a few chapters to go.

One thing I hate about writing is the slow parts, but the funny thing is I skip a lot of stuff to get to the point, and that was a major part of my creative block I was able to overcome so good for me. I wrote a short story, but they end up being a whole chapter or two long. I am not good at flash ideas, well yet.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Songwriter/poet.....most of my song lyrics are up on my site...

artisdead.tumblr.com

Feel free to browse!

Reactions: northernsky

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used to write a blog, just about my own self, my family, my opinions and ramblings.i was excited at beginningm but coudnt maintain the excitement. ive abandoned the blog (typical INFP character huh? hard to finish things they've started):confused:

·
Registered
565 Posts
umm, yeah, well...i write poems, i really dig Sylvia Plath, Arthur Rimbaud, Allen Ginsberg..so very dark and raw poetry, emotionally at least.

actually yesterday a friend said i should write a short story, and i shall. i am going to write a novel soon (i WILL) just as soon as the ideas have finished swirling completely in my head and i actually have a working computer so i can work through the night in crazy blood sessions. i have a feeling the short story will be very Pynchon-y

as you can, very dark stuff is what i write - not gothic, or vampiric, but very dark

·
Registered
509 Posts
Anything. Erotica, romance, fantasy.... just about anything I feel like writing when I feel like writing. xD I'm good at poems, writing to express my heartfelt emotions.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had about 3 blogs in the past and ended up deleting them all! I got a bit panicky about people I know reading it. To be honest I'm getting a bit paranoid about using PerC and Twitter as well, I was seriously thinking of deleting my Facebook and Twitter accounts and I want to change my name on here...Bit scary isn't it putting your personal thoughts out there. I've rarely shared my writing with anyone, that's partly why I decided to write children's fiction as it's more removed from emotions and so I didn't feel so bad about other people seeing it. It's more fun and adventure and I don't mind people seeing that!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't write as much as I think. But when I do write, it's usually either a poem of sorts, a short story with a twist, or it's part of a much grander concept of which I hope to one day turn into a book.

I've attached a short story for a concept I thought off in regards to death (which I later found out I subconsciously ripped off from a friend who told me about it from a manga)

I'm currently trying to work out an idea for a new story I want to write. I've got great ideas for the characters and the rough setting but I need to pin down the details, which isn't easy! It's going to be a children's book - a bit steampunky.
I have the same problem with something I'm working on. I got the beginning and the end pretty much figured out, and much of the plot, motivations, characters etc. But there are some places which wont connect yet in a way that makes much sense within the framework of the story.

One thing that's helped me is after thinking quite a bit on the story, I put some music on my computer or mp3 player, which fits the mood of the story I'm going to tell, plut earplugs into my ears, close my eyes, and let my brain show me what happends. Visualizing like that, really helped me flesh out the concept and themes in my story. And some of the visions I get are pretty amazing IMO. However, it's a bit risky as it may dissasociate from the logical framework of the story. I've certainly had to modify quite a few visions of mine to work within what is already set in stone in my mind.

I wondered if many of you are writing anything at the moment, and if so, what? Which part of the writing process comes most naturally to you? I'm all right once I get going but getting started and committing to one specific project is taking forever.
If I know my characters well, and I have a good idea of where this is headed, the writing comes pretty natural to me. Heck, it comes natural to me even if I don't do that. But that ususally ends up in surreal types of story. Case in point: At times when I'm replying at a forum, the words just come out of my head without me consiciously thinking about it, and I have to read through my last few sentences to actually understand what the hell I'm actually talking about.

Here's an idea for not getting stalemated by your own project: You've created a universe you want to explore in the book. But you're only exploring part of it. Get some of the characters on some spin-offs that you write to entertain yourself. Don't plan them, just let the writing come naturally, and let events unfold as they seem they should. That would help you get to know your characters better, and you'd get a break from what migth seem to you as a somewhat mundane task of having to keep everything together with the story.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've had about 3 blogs in the past and ended up deleting them all! I got a bit panicky about people I know reading it. To be honest I'm getting a bit paranoid about using PerC and Twitter as well, I was seriously thinking of deleting my Facebook and Twitter accounts and I want to change my name on here...Bit scary isn't it putting your personal thoughts out there.
This is exactly how I feel and why the blog I write in 90% of the time is private. I've had a lot of blog accounts in the past that I would either share with friends from school or random people I met online. I always ended up abandoning those accounts for various reasons which related to how uncomfortable I felt knowing the posts would be read by other people. I always felt like I had to censor myself to an extent, and I felt little desire to write if I had to censor myself that much.

For whatever reason, I am not disciplined enough to write in a (single) notebook or physical journal. I like writing in a blog, anyway, because the tagging system is a great way for me to organize my thoughts. I love being able to literally link my posts together. It makes the experience that much more... therapeutic, knowing that as I add to the journal I am sort of filing things away. It's also convenient for reviewing what I've written at a later time.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't write very much, because I just cann't seem to take initiative. But I have written quick, yet long poems, a coloring book for kids ages 2-5, and I am writing a lil' illustrated book about my turtles. All my ideas for longer stories will make me anxious nhalfway through, so I run into writer's block, and forget about it in a while.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I love to write because I enjoy trying to express myself elegantly. It is more difficult to do in speech for a number of reasons. I love when things are well-written, but don't care much to write anything fictional. I admire people who simply feel an itch to weave stories together though, since I consume and enjoy their products. ^^

I have kept blogs at different times, but it was usually my own trying to show off and be loved. I suppose it amounts to the difference between saying and doing, between telling people about my character and simply being a person of character.

For whatever reason, I am not disciplined enough to write in a (single) notebook or physical journal. I like writing in a blog, anyway, because the tagging system is a great way for me to organize my thoughts. I love being able to literally link my posts together. It makes the experience that much more... therapeutic, knowing that as I add to the journal I am sort of filing things away. It's also convenient for reviewing what I've written at a later time.
Definitely. I've used a software note-taking program called KeyNote as a journal for a few years now, and love being able to search through it without flipping through pages and see what I wrote last time I talked about a particular topic. Plus, typing is just so much more convenient.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I love writing, and I've always felt that it's the only thing I will ever enjoy doing for a career. When I get the time, I write poems, lyrics, short stories, and I've even tried writing a couple novels. I enjoy blogging and such too.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I used to write regularly a few years back. I would love to get back into it, but i'm afraid the inspiration is not there at the moment.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I keep my blogs all but hidden in that respect, I allow them to be openly viewable to the public but I keep an aura of confidentality around it so people don't really know or really care who wrote it (makes a bit of a double life feel which is always fun.) Its essentially the same here but I don't anybody has heard of the MBTI test from where I'm from so I doubt there's anyone here reading this who I know!

Other than that, I have essentially two stories on the go - both written and finished in an idealistic form, though the plot details in my head are always incomplete and even more so on the people. The one I'm writing at the moment deals with a space-faring offshoot of humanity in the present day (its set in our universe as well) who were founded by future time travellers thrown thousands of years into the past (pre-civilisation) by a temporal accident when they were trying to travel to the year 2000 to save the world from a major catasrophe or apocalypse (the year they are from is 2138.) The travellers united with numerous nomadic tribes, eventually left into space and now have now existed as space civilisations before even the Ancient Egyptians (they removed all traces of their existence from ancient Earth also to keep their secret.) They use a sacred mandate, that they must eventually rescue the humanity of Earth in 2138 from total destruction (after the travallers go back) and thus fulfil their original objectives. Everything in this universe is set in stone and the concept of pre-determinism is a major religion however many terrible wars have reduced the civilisations to ruins and must face the possibility that they would not be able to save human life on Earth from extinction because they lack the infrastructure to support an influx of billions of space-illiterate people. Not only that but many believe their civilisations themselves are responsible for the catasrophe on Earth. I'm not sure how it will go but these struggles will be a backstory or undertone throughout.

Went off on one there, felt tempted to share it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sounds really exciting!

I have started so many stories, and I've found that if I can get more than 3000 words in then I'm able to finish it - just breaking that "getting started" barrier gets me through. So far unfortunately I've only ever finished two novels! One 70,000 words and one 50,000. It was a relief to know it could be done! I've only written 150 words on my new one but i am pretty pleased with the way it's headed. Just got to get past 3000 and keep going!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts