Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss refuses to take the Myers Briggs test as he doesn't want to be 'put in a box' (he actually gave the papers to his wife to complete)!

I'd love to know what type he is so that I can understand him a little better as we work closely together. Is there anyway to 'type' someone just from a list of behaviours and characteristics? The following Strike me as important to trying to type him:

- Extrovert personality (confident around people but doesn't seek them out)
- Likes to talk endlessly once on a topic of interest
- gets side tracked easily when talking (goes off at a tangent and can't remember what he was saying)
- Learns by 'doing' - activity based (never reads instructions)
- An individual
- A leader
- Not a 'joiner' (hates groups)
- Maveric
- No regard for authority or heirarchy (but obeys the law)
- Little or no interest in people's lives beyond basics (no friends, doesn't keep in touch with family)
- Always forgetting things/losing things
- Generous
- Loves gadgets
- Territorial
- Likes 'holding court' and telling jokes / anecdotes
- True Aquarian star sign
- Believes in traditional values (family, honesty, hard work)
- Agnostic

I could go on and on but hopefully that gives a flavour of his personality. Can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can type people just by looking at their behaviors, sometimes it is hard but it is definitely possible.
According to your list, i think he's probably an ESTP.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just speculation, but from what you described, he sounds a bit like my mothers boyfriend. He is an ISTP. It was a pain figuring out his type as well. Doesn't mean your boss is, just seems like a possibility from what I read.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No, it is not possible to type someone unless they take a personality test. And someone's star sign and whether they are religious or not has no bearing on anything.

" True Aquarian star sign
-
- Agnostic
"

Astrology is pure nonsense! Has no bearing on personality type or one's future at all! Although if the person believes in mystical things like Astrology then they might themselves be an N or F or possibly a P type. But even then, impossible to tell unless they take the test.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Yes, you can type someone fairly accurately--particularly if you work around them a great deal (allowing you to observe them in many different settings and interactions with others).

The list you've posted is inconclusive, but I would lean to XSTP.

HTH

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
I agree that astrology has nothing to do with it. I'm a Sagittarius, and the so-called "type" of people born that time of year have nothing in common with my actual personality. HTH.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I agree that he sounds like an xSTP. But without more data or a test or confirmation by him, it's impossible to tell for *sure*.

What I did for my ISTP dad was I gave him the test orally, so he wouldn't have to read or write anything. He doesn't like that kind of stuff. Just don't try to influence answers one way or the other from what you've observed. That would taint the test results too.

But if he doesn't want to be "put in a box", he might be resistant to that approach as well.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with what others have mentioned. I don't usually have trouble typing people I'm around a lot but to try and guess with limited information about someone I've never met would be tricky. I'd feel most strongly about saying your boss was a T, but probably, as others have said, and XSTP. You mentioned he was outgoing but doesn't go looking for others, so it would be too big of a leap to say if he was an I or an E from this list.

Reactions: Sela
1 - 8 of 8 Posts