Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, I've been friends with an INFP for a little over a year and a half and he's the most forgetful person I know! I've kidded him about it, not to make fun of him but in an effort to determine the nature of his forgetfulness. More than once I've asked him if he's always been this way - he'll just look at me, smile, and say, "I can't remember." :tongue:

Honestly, I'd been attributing this to all the pot and who knows what else he smoked in the 60s and 70s. Now I'm beginning to wonder if forgetfulness is an INFP trait.

Are you guys more forgetful than other personality types? Does it bother you? What steps, if any, have you taken to counteract it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm still not sure what type I am, but INFP looks close enough. I remember things that matter to me. I think that goes for everybody, actually.

Things and people I care about I see in major color. I remember what they wore, their smell, their exact words. Everything else is sort of grayish. It's there, but who cares.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My short term memory is very poor. I once blamed it on excessive masturbation (seriously) but now I see it's probably quite natural. However I tend to remember sad things from my past or random pieces of information older than a few months - I blame an overconfident Si for that part though.

In front of me I have pages of random notes I wrote at work because I wouldn't remember them otherwise. I barely even remember writing the notes either :)

I have cruised around the cosmos a few times myself though, there is no difficulty in reaching escape velocity in my little beauty.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Haha, definitely. I lose everything and am very unorganized, even when i try to be.

·
Registered
602 Posts
hmmm maybe its the weed lol

i usually have a pretty good memory, ill remember random things and when i bring it up some ppl think im weird or make notes about them...when really i just randomly remember it lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I only remember useless information that has no practical applications, heh. I lose everything and I never seem to be able to remember anything that most people would call important. I suppose I have decent long term memory, but short term memory forget it (no pun intended). I think that perhaps the reason I don't remember things is that my head is too in the clouds to register the information properly in the first place. So... when I try to remember it there is nothing there to remember, since I never really processed it. :laughing:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Long-term memory: really excellent
Short-term memory: really crappy

I'm the type who forgets what he's doing on the way to do something, forgets words, forgets names. Sometimes when people talk to me, it takes me a minute to process what they said. I've been this way for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Shelby67,

As an INFP I can affirm that, yes, I am forgetful. Why? Because my personality traits lend to that particular trait. I will explain how:

Introvert: The information and all other input becomes internalized
Intuitive: Multiple possibilities are generated from the input, and the mind filters out whatever lacks in intrigue. This means that mundane details like times, names, etc, slip through because they *usually* do not fit the profile of input that is normally focussed upon.
Feeling: As the input is received into the mind, the dominant feeling function calls the shots and determines which information should be filtered into the intuitive functioning system. Priority is given to information that corresponds to particular pet interests, fascinations, values, or elicits emotional response. Again, details do not often match these criteria. But sometimes details do match the criteria, like when there is an emotional investment or fascination associated with that detail. I am a germophobe, and my emotion of fear prioritizes this input into my intuitive system by causing me to take note of and remember all the things i have touched with my hands or that other people nearby have touched, and then intuitively generating the possibilities on how to avoid any germ sources from nearing my nose or mouth. In this I am NOT FORGETFUL! Why? Because my dominant feeling value system designated my mental resources to notice, remember, and consider this input. (Other similar examples could involve anything that the feeling system designates as important)
Perceiving: All of the aforementioned takes place in accordance with the Perceiving function. Input is taken in, filtered and designated by the feeling function, and all thought behavior that takes place with the intuitive function happens in accordance with the perceiving function. The perceiving function causes there to be an ever-expanding production of thoughts and possiblities that follows no particular order other than the direction the feeling function dictates. If the function were judging, the input is treated with the opposite - the information and possibilities are narrowed into one primary perception, or added into a tidy set of perceptions that are meticulously connected. This allows details to be more easily accessed because of this more organized arrangement, but with the perceiving function, details are strewn about in the mind, causing many of us INFPs to forget much of what we had been thinking about just a few minutes ago, unless it still holds application by way of the feeling function's dictation.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I guess I'd say that I have horrible short-term memory but that I am good at converting short-term memory to long-term memory. For example, I could read over my class notes a couple of times and know everything I need to know for an upcoming test.

On the other hand, my mother could tell me to do three things, and by the time she lists the third thing, I've already forgotten the first thing and can vaguely remember the second thing, so I have to ask her to repeat herself, and she thinks I wasn't listening to her to begin with. I lose things all the time, too, and often forget where I'm going.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My memory is appalling. Someone can ask me to do something, I say "Yup, I'll do that," and before they even walk away I'll have totally forgotten about it. My notebook with my things to do list is my best friend as long as I remember to look in it (and write in it).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My memory is appalling. Someone can ask me to do something, I say "Yup, I'll do that," and before they even walk away I'll have totally forgotten about it. My notebook with my things to do list is my best friend as long as I remember to look in it (and write in it).
Love it! My friend keeps a notebook in his workvest. As near as I can figure, it has everything in it - names, dates, checklists, a journal of sorts.... If we're going to get together, he'll trot upstairs to his office and note it on his desk calendar. He's told me he doesn't recognize patterns in relationships unless and until he pulls out his journal and reads through it. He's kept a journal for decades....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts