Personality Cafe banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Shelby67,

As an INFP I can affirm that, yes, I am forgetful. Why? Because my personality traits lend to that particular trait. I will explain how:

Introvert: The information and all other input becomes internalized
Intuitive: Multiple possibilities are generated from the input, and the mind filters out whatever lacks in intrigue. This means that mundane details like times, names, etc, slip through because they *usually* do not fit the profile of input that is normally focussed upon.
Feeling: As the input is received into the mind, the dominant feeling function calls the shots and determines which information should be filtered into the intuitive functioning system. Priority is given to information that corresponds to particular pet interests, fascinations, values, or elicits emotional response. Again, details do not often match these criteria. But sometimes details do match the criteria, like when there is an emotional investment or fascination associated with that detail. I am a germophobe, and my emotion of fear prioritizes this input into my intuitive system by causing me to take note of and remember all the things i have touched with my hands or that other people nearby have touched, and then intuitively generating the possibilities on how to avoid any germ sources from nearing my nose or mouth. In this I am NOT FORGETFUL! Why? Because my dominant feeling value system designated my mental resources to notice, remember, and consider this input. (Other similar examples could involve anything that the feeling system designates as important)
Perceiving: All of the aforementioned takes place in accordance with the Perceiving function. Input is taken in, filtered and designated by the feeling function, and all thought behavior that takes place with the intuitive function happens in accordance with the perceiving function. The perceiving function causes there to be an ever-expanding production of thoughts and possiblities that follows no particular order other than the direction the feeling function dictates. If the function were judging, the input is treated with the opposite - the information and possibilities are narrowed into one primary perception, or added into a tidy set of perceptions that are meticulously connected. This allows details to be more easily accessed because of this more organized arrangement, but with the perceiving function, details are strewn about in the mind, causing many of us INFPs to forget much of what we had been thinking about just a few minutes ago, unless it still holds application by way of the feeling function's dictation.
So,you remember best those things that trigger an emotional response?

Let's say you have a good friend whom you enjoy hanging out with. After spending a few hours with him/her, what will you remember about your time together? Topics discussed? Gestures, facial expressions, tone of voice, dress, the weather? Or will you remember instead how he/she made you feel?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Long-term memory: really excellent
Short-term memory: really crappy

I'm the type who forgets what he's doing on the way to do something, forgets words, forgets names. Sometimes when people talk to me, it takes me a minute to process what they said. I've been this way for as long as I can remember.
So how does your lousy short-term memory convert into superior long-term memory? I mean, if you forget stuff that recently happened, how can you remember it later in detail?

This sounds like quite a feat! :tongue:

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I think there was a thread about how forgetful infp's are, actually. It was rather amusing!

Short answer -- yes, we're really forgetful. Head in the clouds.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is not an absolute rule, but if you want to know the priorities of a particular INFP, see what he or she remembers most. If the INFP remembers to do some obscure thing that you casually requested of them and they do it, you can be pretty sure that INFP prioritizes you and enjoys pleasing you. Conversely, if they regularly don't follow through for you, it may be an indication that there is some harbored resentment, self-absorption, or they are afraid of becoming close to you (INFPs sometimes have a strange habit of unconsciously disappointing people and letting them down for fear of setting a precendent or expectation for themselves in the eyes of others, or for fear of becoming close to someone).

·
Registered
391 Posts
LOL - I've never done drugs or anything that would cause memory loss. I do get lost, easily, and am somewhat forgetful in small ways. I can't find a word I'm looking for, can't remember where a snippit of a song comes from. But I'm not really all that forgetful. I was voted 'Most likely to be seen in space,' in high school - got my photo in the yearbook and everything. I am definitely a dreamer. Forgetful? Not really more than other types, I think. My ESFJ special one is quite forgetful and absentminded. (But I love her, anyway :laughing:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
So,you remember best those things that trigger an emotional response?

Let's say you have a good friend whom you enjoy hanging out with. After spending a few hours with him/her, what will you remember about your time together? Topics discussed? Gestures, facial expressions, tone of voice, dress, the weather? Or will you remember instead how he/she made you feel?
I would say that, yes, what I remember best are the details that are involved in situations and people that trigger an emotional response, but also intellectual response. Because I value those emotional and intellectual experiences since they give me a feeling of being alive, my mind naturally saves as much of the experience as possible, most strongly the things that most closely correspond to what I valued.

If I spent time with a good friend for a few hours, what I would remember most would depend on the type of communication we experienced. If I am with a female and we are talking together, and she makes a facial expression to me that grips me (like some females seem to just know how to do) my mind will be amplified, and the image will be kept in my mind, and I will probably remember what we were talking about at the time, and likely won't forget. Maybe in another discussion my friend and I come to some wonderful breakthrough over some topic, or in our friendship, and because of that important event I may remember where we were, what he/she was wearing, what the air smelled like, etc. The INFP mind, and my mind in particular likes to create what I would call Treasure Chests that contain experiences that are most valued, and in that treasure chest is contained the assortment of thoughts, sensory information, and communication that was involved, stored like little gems for life.

If the INFP fails to remember things in communication with you, it doesn't mean you are uninteresting, it could be that he or she is an individual very preoccupied with things in their mind and has an especially difficult time experiencing and storing the moment.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'm very forgetful. My sobriety has come into question plenty of times. I guess I just get too caught up in my daydreams to remember stuff sometimes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is not an absolute rule, but if you want to know the priorities of a particular INFP, see what he or she remembers most. If the INFP remembers to do some obscure thing that you casually requested of them and they do it, you can be pretty sure that INFP prioritizes you and enjoys pleasing you. Conversely, if they regularly don't follow through for you, it may be an indication that there is some harbored resentment, self-absorption, or they are afraid of becoming close to you (INFPs sometimes have a strange habit of unconsciously disappointing people and letting them down for fear of setting a precendent or expectation for themselves in the eyes of others, or for fear of becoming close to someone).
wow, spot on!!!

I also seem to forget things I didn't pay enough attention to in the first place.

I "forgot" to pick up some shoes that I had ordered in the shop creating a great deal of hassle when I finally turned up. I didn't really forget to pick them up, I knew I had to do it, but I didn't even LOOK at the date on the receipt I just knew it was vaguely a week, but I almost deliberately made sure I got it wrong.

If you are an ISTJ or an INTJ you might think this is flaky, unreliable, dippy and ILLOGICAL behaviour.

But the real reason here is: I am not sure the shoes FEEL right and I am not sure I want them anymore.

If it was something I thought was important, I would have been a lot more efficient, as I can be.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
my memory is very random..i might be betetr than i think but i don't really trust it that well, and i suck at remembering like numbers and names..

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's pretty much the way we do things in life...focus on the things we care about, dismiss the crap we don't care about. Our minds are ALWAYS spinning with something we care about. Therefore, you can say something to us - we can shake our heads - but it doesn't mean we were actually listening because our mind was elsewhere. I forget where I put things because I was so focused on something else at the time of putting something away that I can't remember where I put it.

It's really not like we're idiot potheads who have no brains, it's more like our minds are so preoccupied with other thoughts that anything else that comes our way may as well have not even happened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I find it hard to remember dates and appointments, have to write everything down and check my diary all the time.

Things have to be really important to me for them to stick because my mind is always whizzing off at tangents and wiping out stuff that I really need to hang on to. Its so annoying and can be really embarrassing, if a friend had invited you to their child's birthday party and you just forgot, for instance, not because you didn't care, but you had just lost track of what day of the week it was.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I find it hard to remember dates and appointments, have to write everything down and check my diary all the time.

Things have to be really important to me for them to stick because my mind is always whizzing off at tangents and wiping out stuff that I really need to hang on to. Its so annoying and can be really embarrassing, if a friend had invited you to their child's birthday party and you just forgot, for instance, not because you didn't care, but you had just lost track of what day of the week it was.
If it was just a matter of his forgetting his wallet or neglecting to lock his storage shed, I would find that kinda amusing, even endearing. But my friend (S.) often retells stories and I'll have to stop him with, "This is the second (third, fourth) time you've told me!" (I used to let him repeat himself, but no longer. Time's too short, you know?)

What troubles me most is his forgetfulness regarding our friendship. The other day at work we were talking to the IT guy (A.) and A. and I discovered we both write poetry. A. suggested we collaborate. Yes, I said, but who would write the music? He said, S. of course. I said, I already tried it - I shared my lyrics with S. last year but he wasn't interested. S. later told me he vaguely remembered the incident. I remember it vividly because I was nervous! He spent a long time pouring over one song and I just knew he was trying to come up with the right words to tell me it wouldn't work, without hurting my feelings. I'd never seen him so intent on anything! And yet it's all a vague memory to him now.

I was bummed out the rest of my shift. I keep thinking, wow, what does S. remember about us? Does he care? Ugh. :sad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it was just a matter of his forgetting his wallet or neglecting to lock his storage shed, I would find that kinda amusing, even endearing. But my friend (S.) often retells stories and I'll have to stop him with, "This is the second (third, fourth) time you've told me!" (I used to let him repeat himself, but no longer. Time's too short, you know?)

What troubles me most is his forgetfulness regarding our friendship. The other day at work we were talking to the IT guy (A.) and A. and I discovered we both write poetry. A. suggested we collaborate. Yes, I said, but who would write the music? He said, S. of course. I said, I already tried it - I shared my lyrics with S. last year but he wasn't interested. S. later told me he vaguely remembered the incident. I remember it vividly because I was nervous! He spent a long time pouring over one song and I just knew he was trying to come up with the right words to tell me it wouldn't work, without hurting my feelings. I'd never seen him so intent on anything! And yet it's all a vague memory to him now.

I was bummed out the rest of my shift. I keep thinking, wow, what does S. remember about us? Does he care? Ugh. :sad:
A guy friend of mine said to me the other day that guys don't analyze things, but gals do. Maybe that's what that was about rather than him being INFP? Men and women having different priorities in what they want from a friendship and how they go about conducting it. At least he didn't want to hurt your feelings and that's a bonus.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Space cadet doesn't mean you forget things.

It means your flipping mental, like soft in the head, not the full shilling, INFP, crazy gangster bitch, tied to the moon, away with the faries or maybe you're an lolcat of some sort.

Preferably this one:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts