Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
ISFP
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a love for many if not most animals and bugs.

I don’t kill bugs if I can avoid it. (You probably won’t believe me but sparing bugs has the opposite effect you might think. Giving you greater control over a population.)

I’m curious if other ISFPs share this kind of love for animals and bugs. Other types are welcome but don’t expect me to respond.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,456 Posts
I'm not opposed to bugs, but I wouldn't say I'm as interested in them as you appear to be. Did you know they have a place for you?

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
938 Posts
I definitely love animals in general, and I've grown to have an appreciation for most bugs as well. My main preference is that they don't live in my house, specifically if they're the type to infest/nest. Currently dealing with fruit flies in my place. Not in love. If a common house spider decided to move in now I'd much prefer it, and I'm sure it'd be eating well.

Ants in general are cool. Not inside though, for the same reasons @incision mentioned.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,731 Posts
Ants are cool, I just started an ant farm recently. Looking pretty good so far, right?

·
Beer Guardian
17,456 Posts
Not an ISFP but I love ants, as long as they remain outside. Once inside your home, their nest mates follow their pheromone trail so it can be a hassle to get rid of them.
I hear they don't like coffee grounds.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I hear they don't like coffee grounds.
Coffee grounds are nitrogen rich. Ant hives help to put nitrogen back into the soil. With this in mind, I'm uncertain if that's accurate or something inaccurate that's been passed around. Either way, the few times ants have entered (no idea how or where), they've used the wall as their highway.

·
Registered
ISFP
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WD40 repels spiders, it probably repels ants as well.

I usually just spray ant killer on window frames, doors, and anywhere else access for ants may exist. I do it everyday for a week at the start of spring. Then once a week. Then once more like a month after. If that makes sense

·
Registered
37 Posts
They were my favorite test subjets when I was a child...
Now I just kill them until they eat all my plants.

·
Beer Guardian
17,456 Posts
Coffee grounds are nitrogen rich. Ant hives help to put nitrogen back into the soil. With this in mind, I'm uncertain if that's accurate or something inaccurate that's been passed around. Either way, the few times ants have entered (no idea how or where), they've used the wall as their highway.

Reactions: incision

·
Registered
4,716 Posts

Ants, Coffee Grounds and the Shed
I built a garden shed about 8 years ago. Almost from day 1, ants took up residence in the shed. There is a space between the two header beams across the main 6 foot wide door. In this space they are well protected, and unfortunately, the way I built it, I can’t easily get at them. I never really tried to get rid of them–they don’t harm anything.

The common advice for using coffee grounds is to put them right on the ant hill, but these ants don’t have a hill. So I tried to put some into the space where they live, and I smeared coffee grounds along the trail they use for getting into and out of their nest. I then watched.

The ants sure don’t like coffee grounds. They would walk up to them, turn around and go back the way they came. That looked very promising, but would this be enough for them to leave the shed?

The next day I came back to see how things were progressing. The ants had pushed the coffee grounds off their path, and life was back to normal. I think I heard one of them squeek “that was a fun diversion for a few hours”.
We're both right and wrong. While they don't like coffee grounds, it doesn't appear to deter them and most definitely, won't hurt them since there's insufficient caffeine left in the grounds to do them any harm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts