Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

How many of you INTJs believe in God? If you do or if you don't, how did you come to this conclusion?

Sun18

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am no atheist. My belief system is the stories I tell myself to define my personal sense of reality. Everyone has one that they use, and it's through it that they individually make sense of the world they live in. I'm an orthodox. Always been. But I promote free thinking, enjoy differences and am definitely pro choice. What other people do, I don't have any particular desire to make it my business. I've been raised to love Christ and the idea of Him, of hope and kindness have been etched on myself. There are passages of the bible that highly suggest they were written by simple minded people in order to gain control over several nations. I don't believe religion is a stipulating excuse for contemptible acts; though there are lots of examples to give of religious people doing things in the name of a god, that's purely one's choice. It's true most people are easily maneuvered based on their belief system.

Reactions: Sun18

·
Registered
575 Posts
I believe that there's something beyond this mundane world. Whether it's a God on the other hand I don't know. But for the time being, I do see myself as a theist. Though not deeply religious, more theistic-agnostic. The reasons for this are several, some more "logical" (evidences for the existence of God) and some more "intuitive" (heartfelt). Though primarily if I had to motivate it, I'd motivate it by using this quote: "Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering." - St Augustine

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm more agnostic than atheist, I don't know if a god, many gods, a superior life form or something exist or not. There is no proof that it exists and no proof that it doesn't. One thing is sure, I don't believe in the religion as told by men, maybe the unique God exist, but in my opinion the religion were used, changed, so much over the time that they have nothing to do with reality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Atheist.

I'm not a cynic, but when it comes to this topic.. It is somewhat amusing, but also sad to see how people justify the meaningless things they do in life with religion. People have dreams, but they are too afraid to follow them, so the thought of being rewarded for painful monotony after death gives them hope that the life is not meaningless. It is understandable.. But wrong.

It's not for the human of the 21st century. If not religion, people would be more ambitious and have more colorful life in general. And I'm only talking about the things that I can touch myself. I don't even talk about wars with no purpose, money milking for a bad purpose, given power to the wrong people ...And other things that religion is responsible for.

If you would read the bible, you would see how many accurate things there is for our modern days. Quite a few for a book written two thousand years ago. Well, except that there isn't. The bible has been overwritten fucktillion times. If you would read the original bible, "Harry Potter" saga would look more realistic than that . And note, in the original bible, if you do not believe that our lord and savior did all those magic stunts, you would burn in hell forever. But nowdays, they say that you wouldn't, because you have to read and understand the bible figuratively and not literally ( words i heard from a true priest himself). Convenient.

Anyway, people still believe in some higher force, even if they do not follow any religion. But as I mentioned.. No one wants to die. And if we do die, we do not want our journey to end here, so it is easier to live with the hope that when we do die, some magical after life awaits, and we all be rewarded for our suffering. Well, I do not believe that. Do you believe that a rat after death also has an afterlife? Or a squashed cockroach? Or is it for humans only? Or for mamals only? mm?

You die you rot.. You have one life, make it count.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I'm a baptized Seventh-day Adventist, which is a branch of Christianity. That being said, I do have friends who are of other faiths as well as atheist and we love chatting with each other about our respective beliefs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm more agnostic than atheist, I don't know if a god, many gods, a superior life form or something exist or not. There is no proof that it exists and no proof that it doesn't. One thing is sure, I don't believe in the religion as told by men, maybe the unique God exist, but in my opinion the religion were used, changed, so much over the time that they have nothing to do with reality.
Hi Adnutum,

To avoid the confusion between man-made religion and spirituality, my OP asks about one's belief in God regardless of any affiliation with specific religious beliefs.

Sun18

·
Registered
330 Posts
Atheist
came to the conclusion that there's no 'omnipotent' being through constant questioning of human morality and reading through history that religion has always adapted to new changes of common morality. Now nobody stones people (except in the middle east) and we don't hang random individual because we think they're witches and wizards.
I don't voice my status as a atheist because i believe that people deserve their belief to believe what they want or at times lie to themselves. however i will converse on a sensible level with people on the topic of religion and almighty beings.

Btw, although am not religious, i am skeptical about spirituality as it's something i'm inquisitive about.

Reactions: Songs unsung

·
Grim Reaper
944 Posts
I enjoy the philosophies of Taoism and read a lot of Lao Tzu. As I explain to my friends and romantic partner.

I do not really care if there is a god or if there isn't. What I do know is I was put on this planet and given free will. So I am going to use it. I will follow my own path and do what I believe to be right and wrong, allowing my intuition to guide me. If a divine being is going to judge me in the afterlife so be it. But I will be judged for being myself and not what the world tells me I should be. I will accept whatever punishment is given openly.

My girlfriend then said to me "That just makes you your own god, you make your own rules." I responded "No, I am not my own god, I am my own person."

·
Registered
452 Posts
I do not really care if there is a god or if there isn't. What I do know is I was put on this planet and given free will. So I am going to use it. I will follow my own path and do what I believe to be right and wrong, allowing my intuition to guide me. If a divine being is going to judge me in the afterlife so be it. But I will be judged for being myself and not what the world tells me I should be. I will accept whatever punishment is given openly.

This is very nearly my exact viewpoint, and an uncannily similar explanation to the one I offered a pair of dismayed Jehovah's Witnesses on my doorstep last week.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Atheist

I came from a non-denominational family that believed in the Christian God. I became very religious and spiritual in my early teen years. Then I became obsessed with studying other religions until I came to the conclusion that they were man-made. I've been atheist for 10 years. I like to take bits and pieces out of non-deity religions and use them to better my life. Such as meditation.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Yes I am. I have no reason to believe otherwise. The concept of a God does not make logical sense. If there is a God, surely someone must have made God at some point? And the thing that made God was also created at some point by something else? And this could go on for infinity. The notion that 'God has always existed' is exactly the same idea as 'The universe has always existed and no one has created it' so I don't believe that the universe has a conscious being overseeing it, especially not a bearded guy with a virgin wife and a kid.

I just find it so hilarious when religious people are like 'LOL atheists believe that the universe has always existed, that doesn't make any sense, something must have created the universe' when you can replace the word 'universe' with 'God' and you realize it is the same thing. People's stupidity is astonishing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I had Thai red curry chicken the other day. Last night I had slow cooked beef and veggies.

Which brings us to tonight- what should I have?
Crab bisque, with good, crusty bread and ample butter. And a nice dark beer to wash it down.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Agnostic leaning more toward atheist.

I worry about what I am going to have for dinner more than I worry about whether there is a god or not.

Any ideas on dinner?
Somebody mentioned Thai, which is good. Personally, a nice spicy lamb curry is delicious :tongue:.

Reactions: Theories
1 - 20 of 27 Posts