Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. I am a solid type nine and most of the online assessments type me as an ISFP. Nines stereotypically seem to be blank slates that just go with the flow and that definitely was my/is my problem. ISFPs stereotypically seem to be very focused on their own tastes and individuality. So, for the ISFP and the Nine, how does this play out, being typed as a type that focuses on being an individual and being typed as a nine, that might not even be aware of his/her desires and real identity? Thanks again to anyone who responds.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I should have saved it but one member had the difference in their signature. It went something like MBTI is how you think and enneagram is more what you show. Someone will come along and fix my butchering. It all makes sense in my head though. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have saved it but one member had the difference in their signature. It went something like MBTI is how you think and enneagram is more what you show. Someone will come along and fix my butchering. It all makes sense in my head though. :)
Thanks, that makes sense. I appreciate you responding.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you think this is true of the other types as well?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Infp 9 here. Type 9 and dom-fi is actually very compatible. I'll put it like this: inauthenticity disturbs my peace of mind.

As an fi dom, I can't have inner peace without being true to myself. Internal peace is more important than external peace. If living in accordance with my values causes external conflict, I still have to engage, because the alternative is to sacrifice my inner peace. Fi is inherently self-centered and self-referencing and I'd rather be at peace with myself and in conflict with others than the reverse.

·
Registered
224 Posts
"In its purest form, a healthy Fi is all about allowing others pure individuality (without judgment), ensuring no one feels pressured to do anything they do not want to do / championing freedom of choice / uniqueness, avoiding causing others pain, distress, or embarrassment out of respect for their feelings (choosing your battles carefully, in the realization that not every situation requires a judgment or a fight), and a clear sense of and confidence in Self to make moral decisions (for oneself, not for other people)."

This quote is from Charity, who writes for the website Funky MBTI in Fiction, and I think this description of Fi explains pretty well how the function is pretty similar to enneagram 9.

For the record, while I've always been an extremely opinionated, quirky person in a typical Fi-dom way, it's taken me a bit longer to develop my own personal style and way of expressing myself to others. It hasn't come naturally at all, and it's been something I've had to learn. And like a 9, I do tend to be a pushover sometimes, especially when things don't directly engage my personal beliefs.

·
Registered
830 Posts
So do you think this is true of the other types as well?
If you search MBTI Enneagram, there will be images that show the correlation. While there are groupings, there are also outliers. Most people are self-typed and not always at their baseline so accuracy is an issue. For example, I don't know if I have a personality disorder or if I am just randomly cycling through 9, 6 and 3. What is the difference between having anxiety and disintegration to a 6? What is the difference between hypomania and growth to a 3?

Really though, just look around and notice there are INFP's and INFJ's. They share no functions yet both can be a 9. Mistyping? No correlation? Depression/anxiety?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Infp 9 here. Type 9 and dom-fi is actually very compatible. I'll put it like this: inauthenticity disturbs my peace of mind.

As an fi dom, I can't have inner peace without being true to myself. Internal peace is more important than external peace. If living in accordance with my values causes external conflict, I still have to engage, because the alternative is to sacrifice my inner peace. Fi is inherently self-centered and self-referencing and I'd rather be at peace with myself and in conflict with others than the reverse.
I wish I had been more like that. It was the opposite for me for years, I would just want to avoid conflict even if it meant internally I was dissatisfied and not at peace. Thanks for that perspective.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"In its purest form, a healthy Fi is all about allowing others pure individuality (without judgment), ensuring no one feels pressured to do anything they do not want to do / championing freedom of choice / uniqueness, avoiding causing others pain, distress, or embarrassment out of respect for their feelings (choosing your battles carefully, in the realization that not every situation requires a judgment or a fight), and a clear sense of and confidence in Self to make moral decisions (for oneself, not for other people)."

This quote is from Charity, who writes for the website Funky MBTI in Fiction, and I think this description of Fi explains pretty well how the function is pretty similar to enneagram 9.

For the record, while I've always been an extremely opinionated, quirky person in a typical Fi-dom way, it's taken me a bit longer to develop my own personal style and way of expressing myself to others. It hasn't come naturally at all, and it's been something I've had to learn. And like a 9, I do tend to be a pushover sometimes, especially when things don't directly engage my personal beliefs.
That does sound very compatible with a nine, seems like a very mature state of mind. So what are the challenges you face expressing your personal style and if you are Fi-dom, why do you think this has been challenging?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wish I had been more like that. It was the opposite for me for years, I would just want to avoid conflict even if it meant internally I was dissatisfied and not at peace. Thanks for that perspective.
It's start with recognizing your value and your rights. Just about every isfp I've met is a badass in some way and I'm sure you're no exception:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's start with recognizing your value and your rights. Just about every isfp I've met is a badass in some way and I'm sure you're no exception:)
That is what I have learned through working on myself, thanks for the kind words. Well, I do have the brownest eyes you have ever seen. Some say a soul can get lost in them. Just kidding. Thanks again for interesting perspective.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I grew up in a family with two ISTJs, an ExTJ, and a IxTP, and so my family is practical and not particularly interested in creativity, originality, or self-expression. They're a clever, hard-working bunch, but they're not especially romantic or sensitive, which made it a bit harder for me to figure my introverted feeling out! So in short, my environment slowed the development of my lead cognitive function.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I grew up in a family with two ISTJs, an ExTJ, and a IxTP, and so my family is practical and not particularly interested in creativity, originality, or self-expression. They're a clever, hard-working bunch, but they're not especially romantic or sensitive, which made it a bit harder for me to figure my introverted feeling out! So in short, my environment slowed the development of my lead cognitive function.
Thanks for the response. I grew up with a similar family and yeah, it definitely has an impact on your environment. It can really lead you to devalue those parts of you. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what did you find helpful to get past the influence of your immediate family?

·
Banned
600 Posts

Love your avatar, btw.

The problem for nines is this: our society is built upon deception. What if you told your lover or your family that you don't love them, that you don't even like them, in fact that you dislike them. What then? What if you tell your boss? It won't be very peaceful, nines know this.

Society, on every level, rewards lying but lying is detrimental to the spirit. People nowadays don't even know that there is such a thing as spirit and that you can make it grow.

There can be no real peace within society, and nines will always struggle with this. It's the same for every type, really. Threes must deceive, sixes must cower, etc. if they don't they probably won't do well within society.

It is good if we can be honest sometimes. Better if we can be honest most of the time but there are consequences to it. Knowing this we choose our fate.

May have something to do with fi IDK.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Brown Bird I also like your avatar a lot =).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Love your avatar, btw.

The problem for nines is this: our society is built upon deception. What if you told your lover or your family that you don't love them, that you don't even like them, in fact that you dislike them. What then? What if you tell your boss? It won't be very peaceful, nines know this.

Society, on every level, rewards lying but lying is detrimental to the spirit. People nowadays don't even know that there is such a thing as spirit and that you can make it grow.

There can be no real peace within society, and nines will always struggle with this. It's the same for every type, really. Threes must deceive, sixes must cower, etc. if they don't they probably won't do well within society.

It is good if we can be honest sometimes. Better if we can be honest most of the time but there are consequences to it. Knowing this we choose our fate.

May have something to do with fi IDK.
Damn, this was insightful. Are you a 9? Are you a ti user? I assumed you were.

I agree with you on a lot of points. The lie that 9's tell themselves is that they can be content with anything. When in reality, there are things that should make you angry. There are things that are worth getting riled about.

They say that 9's disassociate from themselves to maintain peace in their environment. I disassociate from my environment to maintain peace in myself. Basically if I can't be myself in a particular environment, I'll just find another environment. This isn't a good solution either, and I'm working on being the kind person who can actually change my environment. It feels impossible sometimes.

You're right when you say that it comes with a price, there's always an opportunity cost. Every time to you lie to yourself to preserve peace, you're paying a price. Every time you tell yourself the truth, you will also pay a price. 9's hate the idea of the loss. But loss is inevitable. The only thing you can do is decide what you're willing to lose.

The way I see it is, I can never escape myself. So my only solution is to be someone that I can actually respect.

·
Banned
600 Posts
The way I see it is, I can never escape myself. So my only solution is to be someone that I can actually respect.
That seems like a good starting point. :happy:

·
Banned
684 Posts
I heard numerous times that 9w1 is the most common for ISFP. I use to be on the fence about that because 9 descriptions make them sound Fe-ish but 9 and Fi dom goes pretty well together. It would explain why ISFPs are often seen as chill while INFPs are often seen as easily offended since they are often 4w5s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts