Personality Cafe banner

Are you an ISFP and a type nine? Have you experienced this?

[Enneagram Type 9] 
19K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Potatooesunshinerays 
#1 ·
Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. I am a solid type nine and most of the online assessments type me as an ISFP. Nines stereotypically seem to be blank slates that just go with the flow and that definitely was my/is my problem. ISFPs stereotypically seem to be very focused on their own tastes and individuality. So, for the ISFP and the Nine, how does this play out, being typed as a type that focuses on being an individual and being typed as a nine, that might not even be aware of his/her desires and real identity? Thanks again to anyone who responds.

#5 ·
Infp 9 here. Type 9 and dom-fi is actually very compatible. I'll put it like this: inauthenticity disturbs my peace of mind.

As an fi dom, I can't have inner peace without being true to myself. Internal peace is more important than external peace. If living in accordance with my values causes external conflict, I still have to engage, because the alternative is to sacrifice my inner peace. Fi is inherently self-centered and self-referencing and I'd rather be at peace with myself and in conflict with others than the reverse.

#6 ·
"In its purest form, a healthy Fi is all about allowing others pure individuality (without judgment), ensuring no one feels pressured to do anything they do not want to do / championing freedom of choice / uniqueness, avoiding causing others pain, distress, or embarrassment out of respect for their feelings (choosing your battles carefully, in the realization that not every situation requires a judgment or a fight), and a clear sense of and confidence in Self to make moral decisions (for oneself, not for other people)."

This quote is from Charity, who writes for the website Funky MBTI in Fiction, and I think this description of Fi explains pretty well how the function is pretty similar to enneagram 9.

For the record, while I've always been an extremely opinionated, quirky person in a typical Fi-dom way, it's taken me a bit longer to develop my own personal style and way of expressing myself to others. It hasn't come naturally at all, and it's been something I've had to learn. And like a 9, I do tend to be a pushover sometimes, especially when things don't directly engage my personal beliefs.

#12 ·
I grew up in a family with two ISTJs, an ExTJ, and a IxTP, and so my family is practical and not particularly interested in creativity, originality, or self-expression. They're a clever, hard-working bunch, but they're not especially romantic or sensitive, which made it a bit harder for me to figure my introverted feeling out! So in short, my environment slowed the development of my lead cognitive function.

#22 ·
I'm ISFP and 9w1. I've always been a bit of a chameleon but not with bad intentions. Mostly because I spend a lot of time alone and if I find groups of people to hang out with, eventually I'm conflicted if I should go with the flow or not if there's things that clash with the Fi. People have said very negative things like I am fickle or prickly. But some people say I'm a delight to be around and they feel so relaxed. I also get conflicted with group dynamics a lot. If it's always the same things over and over I tend to get bored. Also if there's any form of manipulation I'm out.

#23 ·
Being a nine is not a static phenomenon of being in one state.
Rather it is a tendency of digging a deeper and deeper hole for oneself.

On the positive intention side this manifests through wanting to be steady, easygoing and kind,
but since the road to hell is paved with good intentions this quickly deteriorates.
One ends up with a feeling of being unimportant and unwanted.
So why bother to do anything?

It comes down to possessing oneself or not.
Being willing to play a part, while resisting the temptation to go overboard
in the imageseeking integration of 3.

Overintegration is no salvation it just sets one up for a disintegration backlash.

Reactions: Brown Bird
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.