Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFPs seem to be from what I've read and noticed. Are you clingy? Do you get very attacked to someone? For example, I know 2 INFPs who are unable to get over their exes for a long time now.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
It's not really in my personality to get overly attached to people, i mean i do tend to develop a bond and attachment to people quickly, but my drive is to always be on the go. developing attachments easily also makes it easier to let go of ones when i'm moving on in life, as i often find myself doing.

when i was younger and less "me", then maybe i was a bit clingy. i'm not a very needy person in general these days though. i will say though, there is one ex from when i was 15/16 who i still hold in my heart, but that connection was something else entirely.

i'll reach an age where attachments will obviously become more necessary, but at the moment i'm enjoying my life and being young and footloose. (i'm 21).

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Not as a rule, although there are times i feel clingy. For example if i invest a lot of time and energy into someone, i find it easier to let my guard down and become vulnerable. My guard is usually up 23 -7, so if i'm having a needy moment, i really care about you. It is a strange kind of feeling really, one i don't like to touch often. I don't generally form deep bonds with random people, so i don't attach myself in a clingy way.

Reactions: Einstein and MBTIPC

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not as a rule, although there are times i feel clingy. For example if i invest a lot of time and energy into someone, i find it easier to let my guard down and become vulnerable. My guard is usually up 23 -7, so if i'm having a needy moment, i really care about you. It is a strange kind of feeling really, one i don't like to touch often. I don't generally form deep bonds with random people, so i don't attach myself in a clingy way.
Sounds like you choose people you get clingy for really carefully, but you do get clingy about the ones you actually form the bond with. I hope I'm not off here.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Sounds like you choose people you get clingy for really carefully, but you do get clingy about the ones you actually form the bond with. I hope I'm not off here.
Well, not really. I guess i should have said - if and ever i do have clingy moments, it will be with someone i feel really close too. My desire for space is much greater than being needy, so if i become needy, i'm probably looking for affection-love and attention. I think its safe to say we all experience some sort of needy behaviour at times, as long as it doesn't consume us to the point we can't function on our own. I'm quite independent so that wouldn't happen too often. I like acting like a baby at times, and love when i get affection from the right person.

Reactions: MBTIPC

·
Registered
354 Posts
I get extremely clingy. but I wouldn't change that for anything.
See the people I know casually might get annoyed that I want to talk everyday, or that I get jealous easily.
But I'm also the most loyal kind of friend you could have, and I'll sacrifice most of my time and happiness just to cheer up one of my friends.
I think I'm clingy because for me, the meaning of life is "other people" its a simple answer that's worked for me so far.
Other people make me happy so I try and make them happy.
They're probably the most valuable thing in my life.

Which does lead to awkward moments. like the fact I still feel broken 6 months after being dumped.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
No, not at all. I am very attentive though. That means that when she and I are having a moment together, I attend(!) that moment with my complete mind and heart but when that moment changes into another moment, I give that new moment my full attention. I am super intense but never attached.

I used to be somewhat clingy when I was young but that was because I didn't grow up with love so I was looking for it because I wanted to be noticed, to be confirmed, to be secure, to receive affection and so on but when denied, I became lonely, angry and depressed and so there was fear of loss and attachment. As you might have guessed, that is no foundation for a relationship.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not at all! I'm actually rather put off by clingy behavior. I'm just too inclined to experiment with new possibilities to hold on to the past. If my Ne is in overload, I can sometimes appear a bit "flighty", if anything. (This is when I channel my Fi to ground me).

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
Not at all am I clingy, in fact it's the opposite - clingyness offends me. That kind of needy, jealous-of-your-time and freedom clingy. It's a gut reaction almost, not a conscious stand I've made. I would say I am independent and really emotionally stable.

I give people a fair amount of "slack" in life and I ask for the same. I need freedom and I need space or I become pretty ornery. I am also not a pez dispenser of delicious empathy or time to be constantly throwing my head back giving out ENFPez treats.

·
Registered
716 Posts
No, I used to be but now I'm more comfortable with being on my own. There are moments when I tend to feel that way but I never act on it. I prefer to keep my space rather than become emotionally dependent on another to that extent

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
I never liked the word 'clingy', some people connect with you and stay connected. I find nothing wrong with that. You think dogs are clingy?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I can get clingy, but my social anxiety may be a factor. During my emotional lows, I get even more clingy. I don't like it when people are clingy with me though. I broke up with an ISFP because he was too clingy, since I wasn't into PDA, and he always made it seem like I didn't "love him" enough, and I always felt bad about it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts