Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought of myself as clumsy but I've done really absent-minded things, such as:

#1: Once I was searching up and down for my scissors and getting seriously frustrated, then I saw my mom and literally shouted: "Where is the damn scissors?!". She gave me this weird look and said, "Isn't it in your hand??" :rolleyes:

#2: I packed a bag of things to bring to the office and purposely left it at the door so that I would not forget. When I was ready to go, I walked towards the door, looked at the bag, shoved it out of the way and went out. :blushed: *Champion*

#3: I stood up without realising that my bag was on my lap and it fell on the floor. This happened to me more than once.

#4: There were also many instances where I forgot what I wanna take the moment I walked into the room.

Is this my Ni's fault? Do other INFJs (or other types) experience this?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm an ENTP not INFJ, but I can also be absent minded and do similar things... don't know that I've ever knocked stuff off my lap, though I don't keep much on my lap, but I'll forget what I'm doing and get easily distracted and take 10x longer doing things than I should.

I definitely do this:
#4: There were also many instances where I forgot what I wanna take the moment I walked into the room.
I'll do stuff like get exasperated that I can't find what I was looking for in the fridge and finally give up, close the door and then realize I already took out what I was looking for and it's on the counter next to me.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had just been with an old crush of mine for 7 hours, and then I got of the bus and walked to my front door when I remembered that I forget to check out of the bus. So I started walking back to the busstop and when I was halfway there I remembered that I had checked out. I wanted to kick myself right there.

The 4 on your list is a very common thing that most people experience, I read about it and it said it helps if you go back to the room you were in when you made up you mind about what you wanted to do. I usually works :p

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I got called The Absent Minded Professor from my 20s on; before that, my ISTJ dad said I was backward and lived on Cloud Nine because I was always--to his mind 'day-dreaming' but I was thinking, and the outside world wasn't as real unless I was alone (rare) and studying insects or something similar.

I've moved to put ear drops in my eyes; started to put a second pair of reading glasses on (just a couple days ago), and not seen items in front of me since I was a kid--my dad would say, "You couldn't find your ass with both hands" and my Mom (ESFP) said, "If it had been a snake it would have bit you."

I just checked 'in' not so much out, that's all. I still do, although I've noticed it is worse when I'm under a lot of stress, e.g. in a lot of physical pain, have some problem to contend with causing conflict of interests, et cetera.

Clumsy?

Well, many said I had poise; I got hired to be a runway model, so no, not always clumsy--just situational, hmm, not paying attention to door jambs, the end of sidewalks, green lights which indicated 'stop walking across the street,' and similar outward cues.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In HS when we played Volleyball...if the ball came to my direction I would just watch it spin and figure out where it was supposed to land....little did I know I was supposed to hit it back. :mellow:

So clumsy or absent-minded...depends on the situation and if I am in "observer" mode.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I've always tried to be more mindful of my surroundings and environments. The type of day dreaming behavior I had as a kid was frowned upon quite heavily(to put it mildly) when I was growing up so I had to adapt accordingly.

I guess to my advantage I constantly pre plan and establish routine behaviors to mitigate any possible mistakes.

I still get caught up in it sometimes. Like I would quite often recheck if I have locked my car or taken my wallet and keys with me.

Essentially I forced myself into habits that benefit me and mitigate those moments of "dafuq have I been doing".

I think it's less INFJ specific and more intuitive and creative intelligence oriented minds that do this often and get lost in their thoughts so much that they do not see what is in front of them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've moved to put ear drops in my eyes;
OMG, isn't that painful?!

In HS when we played Volleyball...if the ball came to my direction I would just watch it spin and figure out where it was supposed to land....little did I know I was supposed to hit it back. :mellow:
I get what you mean by "observer mode". It slows your reflexes. It will be good to master both.
I once watched a soccer ball flew into my stomach. Literally saw it coming even before the guy kicked the ball but I was just frozen, watching the premonition unfold.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have been quite absent minded and clumsy as a child. I would often phase out into my play world and makeup stories for all the things I was doing (I was playing with toy cars and every car has a personality and there were good guys and bad guys too). I used to fall a lot. A lot. Clumsy as fuck. I fell so many times that my parents took me to the doctor to have me checked. Turns out, it was my phasing out and thinking about things that was the issue. High imagination. You know what they say... Big imagination, big... no, wait.

You could say I was part autistic at times, because I'd dream too much and be absent, I even invented games with race cars and tracks on huge sheets of papers. You played with the dice, but there were rules to what it meant when advancing, there were teams and scores. Hey, that was pretty good now that I remember it, should have kept it around.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
On the contrary, I often have to consciously make myself relax and not-be-alert. I'm pretty clumsy though. Depends on the day entirely.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Reminds me of Transformers. Keke...
I was never into Transformers (and still am not). But I did attribute personalities to all my toys. I guess it just was my projection of how I felt about them. I was drawn to toy cars and toy trains more than anything I had. Well, I mostly had cars and stuff, because that's what I asked for. At some point I could not fit all the toys on the carpet anymore so I ended up giving some of them up.

Nowadays I still tend to dream off and go absent minded, but there is no comparison. I did notice that I phase out while out biking. I like the feeling but that makes me have to find the least populated routes because I freak out about actually hitting someone by mistake. Either that or it gets very frustrating to phase out and then constantly have to phase back on and off to avoid obstacles. I also have difficulties reading books because I constantly phase out into the story and losing track of what I'm reading. So in order to prevent that I have to watch the movie from the book instead. I barely managed to read Dune because of that reason.

Reactions: 00Hikaru00

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts

So clumsy or absent-minded...depends on the situation and if I am in "observer" mode.

I'm very absent-minded, but this doesn't mean I'm clumsy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts