Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don’t think this has been asked at least recently…

Having recently come to the realization I’m probably an ISFP, I wonder how much other ISFPs relate to the idea that we are competitive seen in some of the type descriptions. I know that the type descriptions are not a “one type fits all” type of thing, but even before having read that, I only realized pretty recently just how uncompetitive, and people who are honestly greatly annoy me. Now I'm just curious if it relates to my type, or if I'm just personally a very unmotivated person lol.

So, are you guys competitive at all?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm totally the least competitive person i know irl. And i agree that competitive people annoy me, especially if they try to get me involved. But I remember that some other isfps were competitive.
Though i tend to try myself with stuff. Not really in a competitive way but if i want to do something (for myself) i can't always accept not being able to.

Reactions: Kandy and mori.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure, if I am an ISFP (though definitely considering it), but I recently found out that deep down I am not competitive. I grew up competing in figure skating and made it to quite a high level, where most people begrudged each other success. I never liked competing, but continued to do it out of habit. Same in med school. I just don't care, who's the best in research and who gets the best marks and who spends the longest hours in surgery. It bothers me so much... I honestly think we should simply strive to be the best version of ourselves and stop comparing all the time. Comparison is the thief of joy!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I am also not competitive irl too and the competitive ones who try to get me involve irritate me. However if I must participate in something it does bring out that competitive streak

It's almost like a transformation and I go into this strategist mode to kick butt then once it's over back to me who couldn't care less

Reactions: mori.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts
Depends on how serious I take the subject.
Back in the days when I still did martial arts, I was really competitive.
These days, I'm not that competitive, I'm not looking for first place, I'm looking for a place I'm comfortable with.

·
Registered
170 Posts
In sports I'm competitive but not the type to get really upset if I lose. The thing that annoys me the most is when people insist they want to play or compete but when they do they just don't put much effort and get distracted by talking to there buddy and not paying attention.

In other fields no I'm not really competitive and no don't make me compete if I don't want to. I have to motivate myself haha. Otherwise your pretty much just trying to motivate a donkey.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
When I was a kid I was competitive, in school, and with classical music. But back then I felt like I had something to prove, and it seemed like the best way to get love and attention was by being smart and good at things, since that's how I saw my brother operate in the world. These days I'm uncompetitive with others, mildly competitive with myself. I want to express myself and experience life and all that stuff, but the competition there is all internal, not external.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was pretty competitive but mostly with myself. Usually I'd test myself to see if i can do better than the last time. It was mostly with physical activities such as catching things just using my peripherals, seeing how high i can jump, catching fruit flies while they're in the air, curling 50 pound dumb bells. Still don't why i was like that. But i loved the feeling of moving.

If i played sports it was always for the fun and experience but never to win or destroy the other team.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was with my art. It was a competitiveness I kept to myself though. I would feel like I sucked if I didn't get recognition. I never let on that I felt this way either.
I'm like that too. I'm not really competitive with anyone else about art, but I definitely want to make at least some impact on people through it, and if I don't then I feel bad. There's the part of me that makes art or performs because I need to be expressive, then there's the part that after the expression, wants to know whether it caused people to feel anything (and hopes that it did).

·
Banned
497 Posts
I'm like that too. I'm not really competitive with anyone else about art, but I definitely want to make at least some impact on people through it, and if I don't then I feel bad. There's the part of me that makes art or performs because I need to be expressive, then there's the part that after the expression, wants to know whether it caused people to feel anything (and hopes that it did).
same

·
Registered
777 Posts
I thought type descriptions generally said ISFPs are not competitive. I think generally, competition leans towards extroverted judging because that is how it evaluates and relates external expressions of the person.

I'm definitely not competitive. I have a philosophical idea about competition that makes it seem absurd to me. I think each person is an individual and unique, so there is the problem of comparing the proverbial apple and oranges. We are all simply who we are and it only makes sense to accept that regardless of how that relates to the external world. I like feel like I'm the same person regardless of who else is in my life. If I'm surrounded by people more capable than me or less, it shouldn't make a difference on defining who I am. Just like any creature gets to be what they are regardless. A bluebird gets to be a bluebird whether they sit next to a bat or a giraffe. There is no need to compare existence with others to gain a sense of self.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I thought type descriptions generally said ISFPs are not competitive. I think generally, competition leans towards extroverted judging because that is how it evaluates and relates external expressions of the person.

I'm definitely not competitive. I have a philosophical idea about competition that makes it seem absurd to me. I think each person is an individual and unique, so there is the problem of comparing the proverbial apple and oranges. We are all simply who we are and it only makes sense to accept that regardless of how that relates to the external world. I like feel like I'm the same person regardless of who else is in my life. If I'm surrounded by people more capable than me or less, it shouldn't make a difference on defining who I am. Just like any creature gets to be what they are regardless. A bluebird gets to be a bluebird whether they sit next to a bat or a giraffe. There is no need to compare existence with others to gain a sense of self.
That's a beautiful outlook. I wish that I felt this way...I am constantly comparing myself to everyone else, and it makes me miserable. If I could just exist the way I am and let people be themselves without the need to weigh them against me, things would be much easier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes i believe i am. I am so competitive that i want others to be 100% fit so i get the maximal effect out of it. Like a game we both play to make each other sharper, more relaxed, etc... connection on a higher level, other than just ‘standing there’, as i call IT.

I dont want to play with people that not tolerate its effect. That just want the cream.

Like when they learned how to read it just took like 2 seconds. Why did they go to school in the first place, i wonder. Then it would be waste of time.

Are they people who waste time? Is my question number one

And i do several tests to see

If they waste time i prefer that they shut up... if you cant use your time wisely, get off me

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I hate competition.

I understand why some people like it; they see it as an opportunity to build off of someone else's success in order to reach a new level of awesomeness. But when I see someone who's very good at what they're doing, my natural inclination is actually to back away, or just continue on as I have been. I think this is because I'm more focused on making sure I'm comfortable with myself, despite what's happening in the world around me. If I'm already satisfied with how I'm living, then it shouldn't matter to me what someone else is doing. And I strive to maintain that mentality a lot more than I strive to one up anyone. When I feel jealous, I'm more likely to ask myself questions like 'Are you jealous because you want to be the best, or are you jealous because you want to feel as important as they look?' and it's usually the latter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts