Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and indiscriminate with the people whom you correct? Regardless of the position they're in (boss, parent, social superior) relative to you? Did you get in trouble with parents or authority figures for informing them of their incorrectness even though it is "not your place"? Did it bother you that some authority figures took an absolutist "the sky is blue if I say it is" attitude without any regard to rationality?

I did. And because of it, many people say I'm a know-it-all. It's not about getting my way. I just want them to see that they're wrong; we might come to a better understanding if they realize that they're being irrational. I would expect others to do the same for me if I am being irrational. My parents used to say that I would antagonize many people with this philosophy, and to some extent they were right. Why is being argumentative so bastardized? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
...and indiscriminate with the people whom you correct? Regardless of the position they're in (boss, parent, social superior) relative to you? Did you get in trouble with parents or authority figures for informing them of their incorrectness even though it is "not your place"? Did it bother you that some authority figures took an absolutist "the sky is blue if I say it is" attitude without any regard to rationality?
I have done this my entire life. Finding out that I was INTP and those are occurring INTP traits made me feel not alone and far less crazy. Some examples from school-

In 8th grade I had an understanding of engines and how RPM's can be low but in a higher gear a car could go faster using less gas. I publicly argued with my science teacher on his speed to gas consumed ratio over this, and he held it against me the rest of the year.

I was removed and forced into a different class from photography my junior year. The teacher thought a dead animal picture on a black matte background was art. I disagreed, saw it as juvenile, and related it to dead cat jokes. Comedy is a form of art I rationalized. Somehow this disturbed her on a deep level.

My high school principal and I were on a first name basis. Once in an assembly I had my head down and he accused me of laughing and removed me from the assembly. He then asked me inside his office what I had said, and I replied, 'I did not say anything.' He next told me that I could be suspended for a day or tell him what I said in the assembly. I said 'suspend me then, because I have said nothing.' He was furious. I did nothing but lower my head in a boring speech.

I saw him at our 10 year homecoming reunion football game; I went because my best friend was singing the national anthem. The principal asked me, "Mr. Matter, have you gotten any smarter?" I replied "I don't know about smarter, but I'm definitely wiser. I don't come around here anymore." And then I laughed in his face and he walked off.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Exactally. Most times, it's more to help them and the people they tell what they were saying to, because some people might not know that when they said proton, they actually meant positron. I do this alot, and it's with that mentality, but some people just don't want to be corrected, for whatever reason. I find it odd. Wouldn't you want to know if your wrong to be right in the future?

·
Registered
135 Posts
From time to time. XD I HATE it when people try to reign authority over me just because they're cops/teachers/adult. With the slight exclusion of parents, they have no power (perhaps cops, but I'll comply if they ask nicely).

But that aside, and I've mentioned this before, I corrected my principal on her misspellings. It's like, you're an adult; at least ATTEMPT to spell correctly when students get in trouble so they won't mock you. Her grammar was atrocious, and she got angry because I corrected her and her phrasing. And then I started laughing really hard because the situation I'd gotten called down for was silly. :X

Also when I was 7 corrected my gym teacher, saying "littler wasn't a word". A few years later turned out it was.

She believed me and that's all that matters. >:I

Reactions: Lijde

·
Registered
672 Posts
I can picture the time I first challenged authority. I was about 5 years old and I complained to the school teacher that she wasn't reading a story properly - she had to do the "sound effects" to go with it (It was the story of the chicken who goes off to bake a loaf of bread..."Not I" said the Pig etc). She said, OK Fiona, You do it, in a very stroppy voice.

I did. And I did rather well I have to say.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ah. One more thing. I am blessed to be in a work environment that encourages you to give some input (the fact it's largely ignored is beside the point - at least you know you won't get into trouble, unless you call the MD a rude name.:unsure:)

Reactions: SoulScream

·
Registered
384 Posts
In about 5th grade I realized that getting good grades did nothing for you until you as long as you pass, so I decided to stop doing homework, but still learn all the stuff. I started doing work again In grade 10 so I would have the grades for university.

Last year in English class my teacher was giving us about 3 days worth of homework every weekend and one day I got sick of it and said "you know that weekends are breaks right? If we were supposed to work all weekend then we would just come to school on weekends" and she told me "yeah, well I only get paid to work 6 hours a day, yet I work like 8 hours, you thin that's fair?" I told her that it wasn't my problem as I'm not in charge of her wages but she's I'm charge of my workload and she told me to be quiet and I said "your a fucking bitch". She sent me to the office and I told the principal what happened ad she sided with me. The teacher ten had to apologize to me and stopped giving so much weekend homework.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Is there any INTP who doesn't argue? We do not recognize social hierarchy except by respect that is earned in our own eyes. It doesn't matter if you are God, if you are a being fucktard then the INTP will be happy to point out your error. As we mature we just learn to better discern which hills are worth arguing over and which aren't.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am *definitely* argumentative at school, but, since I'm just generally in an awful mood all the time in that place (And nobody there reacts well to their authority-complex being disrupted) I try to keep my mouth shut to avoid being an ass.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Me too. If I get to provocative the masses will overwhelm me. It's better to lay low.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I purposefully try and be as abrasive as possible at school. Always swim upstream. I'll never let the school system break me into another sheeple. It is a surprise that even a small spark of creativity has survived the school system.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Abrasiveness as an end in itself I find therapeutic. It's how I get back at the world.

·
Registered
384 Posts
For example: In speech class I gave a speech about how everyone else's speech sucked. I almost got kicked out.
Ha ha. My speech was about how little hope I have for our future. The opening line was "When I look into the dull uninspired eyes of my peers, I can't help but demand "Where are the Winston Churchills Where are the Albert Einsteins?" At that point my teacher told me to sit down so as a parting statement I declared that I weep for the future of humanity.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I have a deep-seated argumentative nature. I have learned to refrain myself from arguments that seem more meaningless than productive, but when I notice a logical inconsistency, I eagerly want to correct an error and seek the truth. I will try to be tolerant and respectful, but when something seems like complete bullshit, I need to challenge that notion of truth. I only want to learn and progress but sometimes, I may argue for the sake of argument, because it is fun and invigorating. Despite my tendency for argument, I need to control myself, because I become obsessive and waste time.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Ha ha. My speech was about how little hope I have for our future. The opening line was "When I look into the dull uninspired eyes of my peers, I can't help but demand "Where are the Winston Churchills Where are the Albert Einsteins?" At that point my teacher told me to sit down so as a parting statement I declared that I weep for the future of humanity.
If i had been there I would've laughed my butt off. Good for you.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
How many times have I been told "The one annoying thing about you is that you argue about everything and can't just let it go"? I won't move on until I get my point across and feel that people are actually listening to me and understand why/acknowledge their wrong being. I do try not to get stuck on an argument that won't get me anywhere if either the person is an stubbord/illogical/irrational or the argument itself is pointless.

If I'm wrong, I'm okay admitting so as long as people prove it to me rationally and with valuable arguments.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts