Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't give a single fuck about any form of art. I don't appreciate scenic views. I want to experience shit, not look at it.

I just can't fathom how someone enjoys just standing there looking at shit. Then walking/driving a bit, to just stand and look at more shit. Repeat.

Anyone else in the same boat?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I appreciate art. I'm not sure if I can tell good art from bad, but it's always fun to look at a painting and try to find a story in it. I'd much rather prefer reading or listening to music. I don't really know much about art but I don't have any aversion to it. I'd never call it shit in any way.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I appreciate art and culture. I enjoy going to art museums (actually museums in general), live theater, music, dance, etc. I am not good at any of that stuff myself. I do find performance art or really modern art pretentious and generally stupid (depending on what it is). I actually think most appreciation for art and culture is learned over type (type has a little bit to do with it). My family growing up made a point to go to theater, museums, etc. (PTs me-ENTP, dad-INTJ, mom-ESFJ, and brother-ESFP). My dad and I actually love live theater (especially musical) way more than our Sensing family members. My husband's family (two ISTJs, an xSTP, ESFJ, and an ISFJ) don't like museums and culture, because they NEVER went to them (although his ESFJ sister has gotten into theater as an adult). My husband has grown to enjoy live theater because of me (he absolutely loved Wicked, even more than me).

I am a geologist by trade (and interest). I love a hike and a beautiful view. However, I cannot sit for an hour looking at a beautiful view. I gotta be moving.

·
Registered
ENTP
754 Posts
War is my favorite art form and thus the one I appreciate the most. Film, Music, and Video Games are also all art forms I enjoy. Sculptures are cool because they're typically very durable and can be put outside. Paintings I often find boring; same goes with theater.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
War is my favorite art form
?? do you mean your favorite art subject?

I think when it comes to appreciating any form art, you have a greater appreciation for and fascination w/ other people's works if you also work at that art form yourself. If you're a musician you're probably going to have a greater appreciation for different styles of music, complex rhythms, good tonal quality etc. .. similarly if you paint you're going to have a greater appreciation for brush technique and use of lighting and positioning of objects in a painting. If you want to appreciate paintings more, I'd say buy paints, an easel, canvasses and put a bunch sweat into trying to paint awesome pictures.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Also as far as art forms go, I think movies are the highest form. It's everything: music, paintings, dance, literature,... all rolled into one.

And I don't think there's a single person on the planet who doesn't love and appreciate movies... so I'm pretty sure OP does appreciate some art.

·
Registered
ENTP
754 Posts
War is beautiful on the tactical and strategic level. Such a shame that it must be painted in blood, but there is a beauty to it nonetheless (Athena would agree with me)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I love cinema, am enjoying the latest HBO-esque TV shows that have been coming out lately, I love music, play too many vidya games, but the most I've participated in art is a focus on the martial arts.

I've done Tae Kwon Do, Jujitsu, fencing, MMA, skeet shooting, archery, a militarized version of martial arts, I guess most things war related I'm interested in.

·
Registered
ENTP
754 Posts
?? do you mean your favorite art subject?
When it comes to war I love the tactical, logistical, and strategical aspects of it and frequently partake in war games and war simulations (I also play a lot of Kaiserreich). Video games are like war in that they are an active art form, so I always partake in those (but I typically don't actually do the programming). I love music and I enjoy sometimes freestyling, but for the most part I don't make music (same goes for film). Lastly, poetry is the opposite for me: I love writing it but don't really enjoy reading it all that much.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I appreciate most art. Sitting around playing with ideas because something thought provoking is kind of my idea of a good time. Art can get me to new an exciting ideas pretty quickly depending on the medium. Some art I don't get. Usually the really abstract stuff. Like a single black dot on a page and everyone oo-ing and sighing next to it feeling stuff. Uhh, What? But I do wish I did get it.

The thing I really don't understand though...watching sports. That's usually something I rather play than watch. And that's with growing up in a family and around friends that really likes to watch sports. I went to a few sports games as a child and I either fell asleep or socialized the entire time and didn't really watch the game. Guess it just isn't for me but it is for some people and that's cool. It's just another thing I wish I could understand because the people that do seem to be having all kinds of fun with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts